• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Toyota to move jobs and marketing headquarters from Torrance to Texas

I don't disagree but the same thing happens at the federal level.  Even when someone 'new' gets elected it's an R or D who does the same crap as his or her predecessor.    

If it wasn't for family and great weather I'd consider moving out of CA but Texas would not be on my list of destinations.  In December they had areas where roads were completely iced over, then they get to deal with Hurricanes and extreme heat.  No doubt your money goes further and you can get a real nice house but I'm not interested in living somewhere that's too hot and humid to go outside part of the year.  

There's problems no matter where you live:

California:  Earthquakes, wildfires, extreme drought

Western US:  Wildfires, drought, extreme heat

Pacific Northwest:  Too much rain, deadly mudslides, dormant volcanoes

Eastern US:  Hurricanes/Tropical Storms, high humidity, mold growing in your walls, extreme cold, snowstorms, ice, etc

Midwest:  Tornadoes, too much rain/flooding, high humidity, mold, extreme cold, ice, blizzards, etc

South:  Tornadoes, hurricanes, extreme humidity, extreme heat, mold, ice, snow, etc

California seems like the best place to live until you consider the effects of the "big one" earthquake they keep predicting.  If their scenarios are correct, pretty much all of us will be homeless, if not dead...

I've been contemplating the idea of looking for jobs in the Phoenix area the past 2 weeks. I just don't know if I want to deal with that heat and it would take some severe convincing for my fiancé.

Then why consider PHX? You can live anywhere you want and that's the best that you can come up with?

I've been contemplating the idea of looking for jobs in the Phoenix area the past 2 weeks. I just don't know if I want to deal with that heat and it would take some severe convincing for my fiancé.

Don't you live in Murrieta now?  Phoenix is only 5 or 10 degrees hotter, with far less humidity.  I find Phoenix a lot more pleasant in the summer months because of the dry heat. 

Don't feel bad for the state because they have made this bed.

Taxes are a big part of it. A friend who owns a computer consulting firm moved it from Silicon Valley to Las Vegas several years ago. He said that even with the cost of the move, they increased their revenue by about 40 percent on roughly level sales.

When Schwarzenegger was Governor of California, he made a trip to Las Vegas to try to court local businesses to move. He was pretty much laughed out of town.

Where is Jerry Jive Ass Brown on this?  Seems that Toyota is a big enough company where he should be flying to Japan, or at least to freaking SoCal to immediately kiss the assorted asses of the Toyota execs, even if the company has already made up its mind.  He MUST make a stand to show other company's that the corrupt state government, though corrupt, is not above worrying about the state economy.

The message he is sending is "Who cares?  We don't need the business." 

Jive Ass is still living in the '70s where it was perhaps enough to just be California.  Well, the era of Linda Ronstadt, The Eagles and the Flying Burrito Brothers is OVER!  The state doesn't have that '70s-Aren't-We-Bitchin' luxury any more.  No one cares.  We're a state with an education system in shambles, crazy taxes to pay for the welcome mat we've put out for illegal aliens, and congested/broken roads, high rents, low quality of living and on and on.

But hey, it's California!  Anyone who'd want to move out of here is nuts!  Or going broke.

And if he wasted money courting Toyota execs you'd be complaining that he's using so much tax payer money to try to change the mind of a company that isn't going to reconsider. How is he supposed to win? The legislature made this mess. No governor is going to be capable of fixing it single-handedly.

And if he wasted money courting Toyota execs you'd be complaining that he's using so much tax payer money to try to change the mind of a company that isn't going to reconsider. How is he supposed to win? The legislature made this mess. No governor is going to be capable of fixing it single-handedly.

I'll go ahead and defer to my previous post:  "even if the company has already made up its mind. He MUST make a stand to show other company's that the corrupt state government, though corrupt, is not above worrying about the state economy."

Perhaps the legislature did make this mess.  And it's controlled by Democrats, as it has been for many previous years.  Jerry Jive Ass Brown is a Democrat last I checked.  He is in a unique position to make formulate and execute a plan to keep businesses from fleeing California.  Jive Ass can actually win here.  Surprise us.

As much as I blame the lib legislature that made California the mess it is today I kind of have to agree with hm on this one.  Blaming Brown for this really makes little sense.  This has been decades in the making.  Not only that, but California being an unfriendly place for business is only one factor involved in this move.  One of the large factors is the fact that this will put their offices very close to their manufacturing plants in Mexico.

I'm not a huge fan of Brown, but he has really not been the problem for California.  He hasn't been a solution, but that really is a discussion for another thread.

One of the large factors is the fact that this will put their offices very close to their manufacturing plants in Mexico.

============================================

They manufacture most trucks in Texas currently but since maps in Montana are still circa 1830 you are right:)

More of the same terrible logic. Instead of blaming the individuals responsible we blame the group they claim to be a part of. No wonder this country is stuck in such a political rut.

Fellas, I'm not blaming Jive Ass for this mess.  I just wish he'd speak up and get aggressive like Texas' governor, even if it's to dialogue with the companies that are already located in California.  Loss prevention.

And out of curiosity, who are the 'individuals responsible?'

Taxes are a big part of it. A friend who owns a computer consulting firm moved it from Silicon Valley to Las Vegas several years ago. He said that even with the cost of the move, they increased their revenue by about 40 percent on roughly level sales.

Wouldn't about 90% of that be because of cost of living/real estate prices?

More of the same terrible logic. Instead of blaming the individuals responsible we blame the group they claim to be a part of. No wonder this country is stuck in such a political rut.

Just because they have a super majority in the legislature and the Governorship, there's no sense in blaming Democrats for anything.

hm, considering those bills you are referring to took place over at least 2 decades it is pretty hard to blame individual people, well except for the voters of California that is.

Scary thing is today's voters are dumber and the politicians are worse