• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Guys, I'm starting to get this funny feeling that this bullpen is bad

jshep

Pen gives up a run without allowing a hit. Gotta give it up to them for finding new and creative ways to suck.

sad thing is outside of Smith, Kohn is the only other one of the bunch who hasnt' been entirely awful, yet he's got 9 freakin walks in less tahn 14 IP, which is awful. Speaks to how terrible this pen is. A dude with 9 walks in 13 1/3 IP is their 2nd best arm

Edited by bloodbrother

The bullpen has been better of late, including Kevin Jepsen. 

Kohn had an 11 scoreless outing going on. Struck out one, walked two, thankfully Sosh pulled him since he lost his command (happens to every good piticher). Maronde would have fared better if Iannetta did a better job behind the plate. Period. 

Maronde would have fared better if Iannetta did a better job behind the plate. Period. 

This was the biggest disappointment of the entire game for me. Maronde was out there giving it all that he could, and he got no help from his catcher. I watched Ianetta set up behind the plate (if you want to call it that) for each pitch. If I were on the mound, I would have had no idea where the catcher wanted the ball. He doesn't frame at all anymore. It also leaves his mitt in a poor position to catch pitches, as we found out twice in the bottom of the eighth.

The bullpen has been better of late, including Kevin Jepsen. 

Kohn had an 11 scoreless outing going on. Struck out one, walked two, thankfully Sosh pulled him since he lost his command (happens to every good piticher). Maronde would have fared better if Iannetta did a better job behind the plate. Period. 

I'd consider myself a Kohn-defender, but man, a leadoff walk to one of the best basestealers in the league, when you yourself are incredibly slow to the plate -- that's seriously inexcusable.  With a fastball like his he's better off just grooving one and taking his chances than practically giving away a RISP with 0 or 1 out.  

Edited by markb

I've only watched a few Angel games this year but it seems like part of the issue is the inability of the starter to exceed 5 or 6 innings, thus taxing the bullpen. CJ Wilson had a major issue with command in Texas, and while he still nibbled a bit in 2011, he was able to significantly lower his walks and pitch deeper into games. 

Edited by sneaky_flute

I've only watched a few Angel games this year but it seems like part of the issue is the inability of the starter to exceed 5 or 6 innings, thus taxing the bullpen. CJ Wilson had a major issue with command in Texas, and while he still nibbled a bit in 2011, he was able to significantly lower his walks and pitch deeper into games. 

the Angels are around top 5 or six in baseball in ip/gs.  Ahead of the A's and Rangers.  

There is a disconnect somewhere. It appears to me that the pitchers coming in late are not pitching to the shifts in the infield. I was seriously gripping when Kohn was pitching to a left handed batter, the in field was playing to pull and all of his pitches were away. That makes no sense to me. Just seems that they are throwing and not pitching.

I don't know how much more you guys are expecting out of the bullpen over the last three games. They allowed only 1 unearned run against the Yankees in their home stadium. That's it. Take out Frieri's cluster**** in Washington and the bullpen has allowed two earned runs in 15 innings.

*Edit for correct innings pitched.

Edited by Eric Notti

I don't know how much more you guys are expecting out of the bullpen over the last three games. They allowed only 1 unearned run against the Yankees in their home stadium. That's it. Take out Frieri's cluster**** in Washington and the bullpen has allowed two earned runs in 17 innings.

but you can't take it out.  The problem with the pen isn't a few guys over a few appearances here and there.  It's the body of work.  You have to judge them collectively.