• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols' 500 HR Chase Is A Bore, But That's Baseball's Fault

http://theshadowleague.com/articles/albert-pujols-500-homer-chase-is-a-bore-but-that-s-baseball-s-fault

"The fact that I can’t embrace this homer chase has nothing to do with how frequently it's occurred of late. It’s just unlikely to me that guys are going to smash the records of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Frank Robinson and giants of that ilk, without a little help. There really was no such thing as “clean” during Pujols’ prolific homer years. He came into the league in 2001 and from 2003 to 2010 he mashed over 40 homers six times in those eight peak seasons.

I can’t say he’s dirty. However, if all of his success is “legit,” then the fact that his accomplishments aren’t moving the crowd, in light of everything that has transpired the past 15 years, is an indictment on the game and not the players. MLB is experiencing the calm before the collapse. While TV deals and taking advantage of lower to middle class fans who must budget for a day at the ballpark like it’s a week-long summer vacation has the league on top fiscally, the sacred value of baseball records has been considerably diminished. Baseball will never be the same. The homer will never be viewed the same. That’s just foul."

Yikes. Sorry to hear that, but I entirely disagree. Baseball is & always will be a highly romantic thing to me.

Good. I'm holding onto a bit of it also. Nationally,  though, it just doesn't hold the same place in America's heart

If this chase is not capturing the attention of the baseball world, I believe it's because much more was/is expected from Pujols. 500 is a big deal but not as big when you can set your sights on 600 without all the baggage associated with Sosa and Rodriguez. He's also likely to get to 3000 hits and that would be a pretty rare combination and will get much more pub.

If this chase is not capturing the attention of the baseball world, I believe it's because much more was/is expected from Pujols. 500 is a big deal but not as big when you can set your sights on 600 without all the baggage associated with Sosa and Rodriguez. He's also likely to get to 3000 hits and that would be a pretty rare combination and will get much more pub.

Nice omission of Bonds' name in the reference to baggage.

Like the article says, we've simply gotten used to #500 with all the home run hitters this era. Also not mentioned is #600 by the likes of A-rod, Griffey, and Thome in the last few years possibly diminishing the feeling a tiny bit more.

I think when Pujols gets to 600 (and most definitely if and when he gets to 700) it's going to be much more celebrated. No one else is all that close behind him now, except maybe Miguel Cabrera. But he's all the way down at 366 at age 31, who knows if Cabrera is going to get there since he may be slowing down soon what with his crappy start this year. Cabrera is literally the ONLY other person with a realistic chance that plays right now to reach 600 home runs. It's far too early to put anyone else like Trout or Harper in that discussion.

http://theshadowleague.com/articles/albert-pujols-500-homer-chase-is-a-bore-but-that-s-baseball-s-fault

"The fact that I can’t embrace this homer chase has nothing to do with how frequently it's occurred of late. It’s just unlikely to me that guys are going to smash the records of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Frank Robinson and giants of that ilk, without a little help. There really was no such thing as “clean” during Pujols’ prolific homer years. He came into the league in 2001 and from 2003 to 2010 he mashed over 40 homers six times in those eight peak seasons.

I can’t say he’s dirty. However, if all of his success is “legit,” then the fact that his accomplishments aren’t moving the crowd, in light of everything that has transpired the past 15 years, is an indictment on the game and not the players. MLB is experiencing the calm before the collapse. While TV deals and taking advantage of lower to middle class fans who must budget for a day at the ballpark like it’s a week-long summer vacation has the league on top fiscally, the sacred value of baseball records has been considerably diminished. Baseball will never be the same. The homer will never be viewed the same. That’s just foul."

Jason, 

What a shitty article. To say Pujols' HR's are not clean because he played in a Steroid era is dumb. 

If anything he gets more props for homering off pitchers who were on roids. 

Some of it is probably due to the crappy, nationally irrelevant team he plays for now. Even listening to LA radio lately, the Halo's are back to being treated as "that other team" during sports news segments. Long descriptions of the previous nights Dodger wins, are followed by " Meanwhile, the Angels committed 4 errors , 3 on one play, and lost 2-1"

I'm jacked up for 500. Pujols is still the best player of my generation and probabaly the cleanest. This clown writing an article is prob. A redsox/yankee fan so who gives a shit what he says.

With that said, LA media is light years behind eastcoast media and if Pujols were a yankee/redsox mlb would shovel it in your face daily, at -bat per at-bat.

Come to think of it, why wasn't the Trout vs. Miggy a big deal this last weekend or todays Trout vs. Harper matchup? Why doesn't mlb promote 2 of the leagues young exciting players? Idk. But next weekend we get 2 of the 3 Angels vs. Yankee games nationally televised. Go figure. I blame the worst commissioner in sports history.

I'm jacked up for 500. Pujols is still the best player of my generation and probabaly the cleanest. This clown writing an article is prob. A redsox/yankee fan so who gives a shit what he says.

With that said, LA media is light years behind eastcoast media and if Pujols were a yankee/redsox mlb would shovel it in your face daily, at -bat per at-bat.

Come to think of it, why wasn't the Trout vs. Miggy a big deal this last weekend or todays Trout vs. Harper matchup? Why doesn't mlb promote 2 of the leagues young exciting players? Idk. But next weekend we get 2 of the 3 Angels vs. Yankee games nationally televised. Go figure. I blame the worst commissioner in sports history.

Trout thinks it's something cool and he shot Harper a text about it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mike-trout-sends-bryce-harper-a-text-about-first-mlb-meeting-monday-night-160915034.html

Good. I'm holding onto a bit of it also. Nationally,  though, it just doesn't hold the same place in America's heart

That's because America's heart has been captured by the NFL, a more honorable sport full of warriors that have clearly never touched PEDs.

laron-landry-615x458.jpeg

The nations' romance seems to be fine with the game, as attendance figures continue to go up every season.  Even Spring Training games are selling out, leading to clubs building larger stadiums for their exhibition games.  College kids, little leaguers, minor leaguers, and my fellow Sunday warriors all still love the game and try to play it the right way.  I think you're way off base here Adam.

In this day and age of testing, if Albert hasn't been caught it's a clean 500 for me.  As far as the old-timers like Hank, I believe in 714.  I'd never accuse them, but who can say if those guys weren't using PED's too.  Unfortunately, if MLB counted it, Bonds "record" will stand until broken (low odds in the post-steroid era).

I can't wait for Albert to hit #500!  He'll get past that huge mental-milestone, and pound a lot more!  Hopefully the Angels (and Cardinals!) are prepared to celebrate his achievement!

The nations' romance seems to be fine with the game, as attendance figures continue to go up every season.  Even Spring Training games are selling out, leading to clubs building larger stadiums for their exhibition games.  College kids, little leaguers, minor leaguers, and my fellow Sunday warriors all still love the game and try to play it the right way.  I think you're way off base here Adam.

This goes back to that thread yesterday, when a poster could not believe that a detroit fan would throw back #498.

Lots of people attend baseball games, and they don't all attend for the same reasons.  Many are into every pitch.  Many go for the beer garden.  Many go to socialize and don't have that great an interest in what happens on the field.

This goes back to that thread yesterday, when a poster could not believe that a detroit fan would throw back #498.

Lots of people attend baseball games, and they don't all attend for the same reasons.  Many are into every pitch.  Many go for the beer garden.  Many go to socialize and don't have that great an interest in what happens on the field.

Describes half of the fans at Angel Stadium on a given night.

Beer, nachos, beachballs, and the wave. What, there's a ballgame going on?!