• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Good News About Our Pitching...

All in all, our pitching has been good, statistically speaking.  As of 4:41PM 4/17/14:

#2 in the Major Leagues in strikeouts.

#7 in the Major Leagues in batting average against.

#6 in the Major Leagues in HR/FB (which indicates we've been unlucky in that regard)

We know we have a powerhouse offense (at least when 2/3 of our outfield isn't injured) so I think these pitching stats bode well for our future.  Coming into this season, pitching was our #1 concern and it seems like Dipoto addressed that pretty well.  His HR's notwithstanding, Trumbo is around the Mendoza Line and that trade is holding up pretty well as time passes.

I'll say it...I'm concerned about Weaver too.  But if the rest of the staff can stay healthy I really like our 2-5. 

Weaver's numbers are very strange at the moment.  I'm still not convinced there's cause for concern.  

He's given up just 14 hits, but over a third of them have been HRs, giving opponents a very Trumbo-like line of .212/.293/.500 against him.  Even with his walk rate up, he has a 1.125 WHIP.  Peripherals on all his pitches show nothing particularly alarming with the exception of his slider, where opponents have done some damage.  So basically, the difference between a good season and what we've got from Weaver so far is a couple of missed locations on the pitch he uses the least.  

Weaver's numbers are very strange at the moment.  I'm still not convinced there's cause for concern.  

He's given up just 14 hits, but over a third of them have been HRs, giving opponents a very Trumbo-like line of .212/.293/.500 against him.  Even with his walk rate up, he has a 1.125 WHIP.  Peripherals on all his pitches show nothing particularly alarming with the exception of his slider, where opponents have done some damage.  So basically, the difference between a good season and what we've got from Weaver so far is a couple of missed locations on the pitch he uses the least.  

Very weird.  I don't know though.  I've seen all of his starts and several of them seem as if they could have been way worse, a lot of warning track outs etc.  

What is the staff's ERA?

This. What matters is how many runs a staff allows. According to xFIP Joe Blanton was a better pitcher than Jered Weaver last season. 

Perfect example of why dismissing exceptionally high or low HR/flyball ratios as if they were random chance is nonsense. 

Edited by ScottLux