• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

As Albert Pujols nears 500 HRs, does anyone even care?

You kind of went off the deep end there , so you lost me.

I am not sure why a five year contract to a 30 something year old is 'pushing him out there door' - that contract ends at 35.

Because a certain fat guy without a resume close to Pujols got an 8 year offer for much more. When Trout finishes this contract I am sure the board will go nuts if the Angels make a token 5 year deal at 30% less than what other players with his resume have signed for.

Soto the whole foolish premise if getting back to five tool players is really dumb. Trout is such an exception because he has those tools and you can count on one hand the amount of players in the last decade that have. He is the player other players watch.

There are no five tool players waiting around for playing time just as there are no Miguel Cabreras sitting in the minors thinking if only they were a 3 war defensive 3rd baseman they would have a shot at a roster spot.

Crushing the ball 40 times a year while maintaining a decent OBP is always going to be in huge demand. They will always get lions share contacts and always be in the middle if the batting order and on the highlight reels.

The mythical rise of under valued 5 tool players is just ludicrous. You have one on the Angels and zero in the rest of the AL right now that are at his level.

Edited by Eric Notti

Quoting from the article: 

"Just four players hit 500 home runs by 1965, but in the last 15 years, 10 new members joined the 500 club."

This dilution is probably the reason AP's upcoming mark is getting less attention - at least at the moment. 

As for Card's offer - they offered what they could fully knowing if he accepted it would be a big hit to a small/mid-size market team.

I believe Mozeliak also knew they'd be potentially hurting the franchise while paying for a declining player - clearly a great declining player - but still declining.

Moreno had no such qualms and bought AP, all his future milestones, and his LAA Cap in the HOF.

AP got a boatload of money.

I guess it worked out for all.

I think the interesting aspect is how it will be noted in STL.

it's changing alright.... it's becoming harder and harder to hit the ball.  The AL batting average is .242, the lowest it's been since 1972 -- thats notable because offense was deemed so hard to come by the AL decided to go with the DH in 1973..   If offense continues to nosedive and power becomes hard to obtain, HRs will become much more valuable..... again.

I noticed that when looking up team BA's yesterday. Lots of teams in the low 200s.

There is no way on Earth that the HOF committee puts him into the HOF in any cap other than a Cardinals cap.  

Off topic I know, but it is interesting to note that LaRussa will be going into the HOF with no team designation, because that is what he requested.

If I were at a game and caught a Pujols ball, it would be a foul ball........I'd probably give it to some kid sitting near me.

and, YES, I am interested in following Albert's march to 500 HRs -- it's still an important milestone and I think we are going to see fewer 500 HR guys in the future.

Pretty accurate. But dude hit 30 HR after hitting NONE in the entire month of April in 2012 and on one leg, hit 17 HR for us in half a season. 

He's walked more than he's K'd 6:4 and has 4 HR and 10 RBI so far and looks locked in after the first week of the season.

Funny how people just ignore those facts and pay attention to only the negative. Those 17HRs were on one- no legs too.

I was there for Reggie's 500th homer. They sold t-shirts that said "I was there for Reggie Jackson's 500th Home Run. I wonder if they will have shirts for Pujols HR?

I was there for Reggie's 500th homer and still have the shirt. It's actually a half-sleeve "baseball" style shirt.

They also halted the game and Reggie said a few words over the public address system. I seriously doubt they'll do anything like that for Pujols. I wonder if Angels fans will even ask for a curtain call. I kind of doubt it.

I think it has more to do with a general malaise toward home run records at this point, however, than because Angels fans aren't gaga over Albert right now.

If I were at a game and caught a Pujols ball, it would be a foul ball........I'd probably give it to some kid sitting near me.

and, YES, I am interested in following Albert's march to 500 HRs -- it's still an important milestone and I think we are going to see fewer 500 HR guys in the future.

And that kid will be driving a Ferrari. 

Soto the whole foolish premise if getting back to five tool players is really dumb. Trout is such an exception because he has those tools and you can count on one hand the amount of players in the last decade that have. He is the player other players watch.

There are no five tool players waiting around for playing time just as there are no Miguel Cabreras sitting in the minors thinking if only they were a 3 war defensive 3rd baseman they would have a shot at a roster spot.

Crushing the ball 40 times a year while maintaining a decent OBP is always going to be in huge demand. They will always get lions share contacts and always be in the middle if the batting order and on the highlight reels.

The mythical rise of under valued 5 tool players is just ludicrous. You have one on the Angels and zero in the rest of the AL right now that are at his level.

And Blarg, how many guys are in the 500 club in the game where 30-40,000 players have played over the last 100 or so years. It's not that common either.

Mantle and DiMaggio were also anomalies. I said I enjoy that more now.

The initial offer was 5/$130 which poisoned the well. After that the 10 year contract was tossed out there to save face with the fans but the damage was done. They knew Pujols was packing his bags for a better deal.

Daniels pulled this bullshit with Hamilton initially making a token one year deal then acting surprised that a month later after making no attempt to sign him. Josh takes a deal somewhere else. Then he has the gall to say he never gave the Rangers a chance.

The Cards didn't want make the commitment and their PR department did a great job making it look like they were earnest in their negotiations.

And this as well.

You kind of went off the deep end there , so you lost me.

I am not sure why a five year contract to a 30 something year old is 'pushing him out there door' - that contract ends at 35.

Sounds like a win-win.  Cards are happy, Albert is happy, there are some fans ecstatic to watch #500.  Definite win for everybody.

Problem with your statement is Albert wasn't going to be happy. He wanted a long term deal with a full no trade clause. What part of that don't you get?