• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

As Albert Pujols nears 500 HRs, does anyone even care?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/04/16/albert-pujols-on-verge-of-500-home-run-club/7764967/

"I think we all thought Albert had a chance to hit 700 homers after seeing what he did in St. Louis,'' says McGriff, "but it's been tough for him out in L.A. Maybe that's why he's not getting the attention.

"I'm sure if he was still in St. Louis, they'd be blowing it up pretty good out there.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/04/16/albert-pujols-on-verge-of-500-home-run-club/7764967/

"I think we all thought Albert had a chance to hit 700 homers after seeing what he did in St. Louis,'' says McGriff, "but it's been tough for him out in L.A. Maybe that's why he's not getting the attention.

"I'm sure if he was still in St. Louis, they'd be blowing it up pretty good out there.''

Pretty accurate. But dude hit 30 HR after hitting NONE in the entire month of April in 2012 and on one leg, hit 17 HR for us in half a season. 

He's walked more than he's K'd 6:4 and has 4 HR and 10 RBI so far and looks locked in after the first week of the season.  

Part of the reason for the apathy out here is that dude hit the vast majority for another franchise, and his time here has been very unsuccessful, both personally and for the team.  Sort of hard to care about player milestones when the team has so many issues.

Wins, baby. That's all that matters to me. If an Albert Pujols home run (or single, or double, or anything) helps us win a game, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about his numbers.

Yeah, that sums it up for me.

Pretty accurate. But dude hit 30 HR after hitting NONE in the entire month of April in 2012 and on one leg, hit 17 HR for us in half a season. 

He's walked more than he's K'd 6:4 and has 4 HR and 10 RBI so far and looks locked in after the first week of the season.  

5th in the AL in total bases (33 so far). His OPS+ of 148 is the same as his 2011 season in St. Louis.

I am excited for it

I don't care that the majority was in St Louis, its a major accomplishment

I agree. But that said, I have seen guys go into funks the closer they get to a milestone like this, so I hope he gets it soon and can move on. Seeing him shorten up and get singles lately, big hits on their own, gives me hope that he won't let this get in the way of winning ballgames. He is handling it well so far, so kudos to him for it.

Part of the reason for the apathy out here is that dude hit the vast majority for another franchise, and his time here has been very unsuccessful, both personally and for the team.  Sort of hard to care about player milestones when the team has so many issues.

this is it exactly, for me. all of the turmoil with the team and albert being a part of that has me somewhat resenting the countdown. i understand why the team is doing it, but on a pure emotional level, i don't like it.

Baseball is going to change, is already changing, to extol the virtues of more well rounded players ala Mike Trout. Great pitchers are getting the big money out of colleges, sandlots, and foreign countries.. and the hulking HR hitter is going to be a thing of the past when this transformation is complete. Won't be many more 500 HR guys to join this club.

considering the national media could care less about anything done on the Halos, im sure Angels fans care, though anyone else... not so much

Even our own considering the foundation was layed elsewhere seem to be lukewarm, but still at least care.

I think the Cardinal fans care.

It still makes no sense to me why he left his situation in St. Louis.

600 is all but a guarantee so long as he stays healthy. Lets say he hits 30 this year, he will be at 522 at the start of 2015. He will only need to average a tick over 11 homeruns over the rest of his contract. If he hits 30 in 2015 then he only needs to average 8 HR per.

700 is not likely but certainly not out of reach. He needs to average 25-30 HR a year for the duration of his contract. He will need a few 30+ HR years over the next few seasons to have a shot.