• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More North Korea Propaganda

That's kinda the deal based on what I've read after seeing your initial post on the matter (and hence my Googling comment). However, I'm not sure that if one reads what I did surrounding the matter (and I may have missed something) that the following statement can be reasonably made:

I say that assuming that in "nukes" there is a reference to technology/material that made it into any weapons that NK currently has. Of course, if that's not what is meant, then why even bother making that statement?

Right, the reference is to the technology that eventually wound up as N Korea's alleged weaponry. As you may already know, N. Korea's original reactors back before the "Agreed Framework" that N Korea was attempting to construct using heavy water/deuterium, apparently weren't built yet. The US came in and made a deal with them to use the light water/thermal type reactors(apparently safer reactors).

Maybe the US originally had good intentions, as the economic sanctions that had been in place since the Korean War were to be phased out as part of this deal. That didn't happen and it apparently played a part in increased tensions again.

Clinton and his official's "reported" remarks regarding only making the agreement because they thought the N Korean Govt. would collapse hurts credibility IMO, especially since the US started supplying them with the nuclear technology that eventually led to their alleged weaponry, when our relations still weren't even close to being ironed out.

This started before the sequester. Playing it up? LOL! Nice cum hoc reasoning though. 

Yes, but it's been ratcheting up since the start of the year.  It certainly gives the military an excuse to keep budgets static or even increase them, instead of facing cuts.  The military has to perpetuate itself.  I wouldn't put it against the government to manufacture or at the least overstate potential threats.  Kind of like how tire manufacturers could make tires that last much longer, but that would mean fewer tires sold and less business.  

It's ratcheting up due to the actions of the NK idiot not be not some effort to promote the war machine. The government isn't manufacturing the actions of NK. Again, cum hoc reasoning. 

On tires, sure. Maximum tread life has increased by almost 4X since multi-ply tires and more than double since radial tires. You can now get 80,000 tires. So what is the maximum life tires could be given current technology? 

Right, the reference is to the technology that eventually wound up as N Korea's alleged weaponry. As you may already know, N. Korea's original reactors back before the "Agreed Framework" that N Korea was attempting to construct using heavy water/deuterium, apparently weren't built yet. The US came in and made a deal with them to use the light water/thermal type reactors(apparently safer reactors).

Maybe the US originally had good intentions, as the economic sanctions that had been in place since the Korean War were to be phased out as part of this deal. That didn't happen and it apparently played a part in increased tensions again.

Clinton and his official's "reported" remarks regarding only making the agreement because they thought the N Korean Govt. would collapse hurts credibility IMO, especially since the US started supplying them with the nuclear technology that eventually led to their alleged weaponry, when our relations still weren't even close to being ironed out.

So, specifically, what technology from the US made it into their alleged weaponry as a result of the "Agreed Framework?"

Also, when was construction completed on the two aforementioned light water reactors and when did they go online?

So, specifically, what technology from the US made it into their alleged weaponry as a result of the "Agreed Framework?"

The LWR reactor(Light water reactor) was to be built by the US. Ground breaking on the site was on August 21, 1997, but "significant spending on the project did not start until 2000".  The project was halted towards the end of 2002 due to continuing poor relations which anyone probably could have figured since the US was supposed to lift sanctions and didn't.  

In 2009 North Korea announced its intention to build an indigenous experimental light water reactor (LWR).  Since there was significant spending on the 2002 US project and N Korea is now able to build LWR's, something they couldn't do before the US presence, I'll go out on a limb here and say the DRPK learned something from the US.  To expect the US or DRPK to ever reveal what that is not reasonable.

The LWR reactor(Light water reactor) was to be built by the US. Ground breaking on the site was on August 21, 1997, but "significant spending on the project did not start until 2000".  The project was halted towards the end of 2002 due to continuing poor relations which anyone probably could have figured since the US was supposed to lift sanctions and didn't.  

In 2009 North Korea announced its intention to build an indigenous experimental light water reactor (LWR).  Since there was significant spending on the 2002 US project and N Korea is now able to build LWR's, something they couldn't do before the US presence, I'll go out on a limb here and say the DRPK learned something from the US.  To expect the US or DRPK to ever reveal what that is not reasonable.

And exactly what part of that has anything to do with their current weaponry? NK has had nuke technology for a long time.

Existing weaponry has NOTHING to do with anything stemming from LWR tech. Maybe someday pretty soon, but not now.

http://iis-db.stanford.edu/pubs/23035/HeckerYongbyon.pdf

Not making it up but certainly playing it up.   

Funny how this is happening as the sequester (with its cuts to the military) hits and Afghanistan is winding down.  It's probably just a coincidence.  

Yup, military is making it all up. We're definitely still not at war with North Korea. Oh wait, yes we are.

Yeah. It's been really hard fought the last 60 years.

No, it hasn't, but Americans have been killed by North Korean soldiers since the war. It's not a ploy the government is making up so we don't cut the defense budget. They've already stood down a lot of flying squadrons in the Air Force. Our training is taking a massive hit. Instead of Combat Mission Ready, most of our aircrew is going to Basic Mission Capable. This has a trickle down effect to the maintenance guys too. Without a plane to get ready every day, there's no training. So no, it's not something made up by the government. Nice try though guys.

And yet there's still plenty of money to keep bloated projects going (I know, I'm on one of them), fly Admirals and Generals wherever they want to go whenever they want to go (and provide luxury vehicles for them to ride in when they get there), and retired generals receive $100K + a year pension.  

I agree that the rank-and-file is feeling the effects.  I work a night shift and we can't install certain parts on our jets because we have no QE (Quality Engineering) support at night so nobody can sign off on the part.  However, they always seem to find the money they really need.  

Edit: after reading this I realize it doesn't really address the important issues.  The contracts the pentagon gives out are the major problem.  Defense contractors make serious money and have incredible pull, both from their lobbyists and from the weight that the jobs they create provides.  Every Senator wants a military manufacturing plant in their district because it creates jobs - good jobs, too - and because the lobbyists keep funneling money to them.  

I guess that did wander a bit far off course.  The point is, the military is a self-perpetuating machine and it needs wars and conflicts to keep going.  If there are no wars or the wars we are in are drawing down, then we don't need more tomahawk missiles or F-35 jets or Abrams tanks.  However, those things are great for jobs.  So, my point is that the military - and we're talking at the highest levels here - have an interest in beating the war drum.

I guess that did wander a bit far off course. The point is, the military is a self-perpetuating machine and it needs wars and conflicts to keep going. If there are no wars or the wars we are in are drawing down, then we don't need more tomahawk missiles or F-35 jets or Abrams tanks. However, those things are great for jobs. So, my point is that the military - and we're talking at the highest levels here - have an interest in beating the war drum.

so cum hoc reasoning again