• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick or Grant Green to Toronto Blue Jays?

Chuck

Idiotic. 

If you can bolster a weakness, when you're dealing from a strength, you do it. 

That's silly.

You don't sell yourself short on an asset just cause you're shitting yourself over the exposure of a weakness that has been obvious for months.

I'll say it again: If Dipoto trades Howie for a reliever, that should be the last thing he does as Angels' GM

Edited by jshep

As I stated in the Hamilton thread, I wouldn't mind seeing more than just Kendrick get traded.  It's clear that Pujols will never produce even close to what he used to and with another bad April(so far), this team is not going to be in a favorable position come September.  I say slowly trade away guys so it doesn't look like a fire sale and load up for 2015.

That's silly.

You don't sell yourself short on an asset just cause you're shitting yourself over the exposure of a weakness that has been obvious for months.

I'll say it again: If Dipoto trades Howie for a reliever, that should be the last thing he does as Angels' GM

Maybe you should go with Howie to Toronto?

All kidding aside, getting a lights out reliever for someone who can be replaced (with Grant Green, then Lindsey to follow if needed) you do it. 

I'd be happy with Marcus Stroman who most scouts see as a reliever anyhow. But we're essentially getting a guy in return who can start and relieve. 

Maybe you should go with Howie to Toronto?

All kidding aside, getting a lights out reliever for someone who can be replaced (with Grant Green, then Lindsey to follow if needed) you do it. 

I'd be happy with Marcus Stroman who most scouts see as a reliever anyhow. But we're essentially getting a guy in return who can start and relieve. 

Grant Green and Taylor Lindsey have absolutely nothing to do with Howie's trade value and what the Angels should get for him if they decide to trade him.

Trading Howie for a single reliever would be selling an asset for below it's value, and the existence of Grant Green and Taylor Lindsey would make me feel 0% better about that.

Edited by jshep

Anyone that wouldn't trade Kendrick for pitching, with what we have to replace him right now, isn't worth arguing with.

Not arguing against trading Kendrick for pitching. Arguing against trading Kendrick for a single reliever.

Good reading comprehension though!

Grant Green and Taylor Lindsey have absolutely nothing to do with Howie's trade value and what the Angels should get for him if they decide to trade him.

Trading Howie for a single reliever would be selling an asset for below it's value, and the existence of Grant Green and Taylor Lindsey would make me feel 0% better about that.

well that's where we differ. I think green and lindsey cam step in and not miss a beat.

I didn't wanna do it but tonight's game convinced me otherwise.

I have been saying this for 2 full years, if not longer. (and thinking it since we upped his contract) like I said, if people don't get it YET they never will.

Edited by Homebrewer

I've seen enough from Green to be able to produce or even outproduce Kendrick this season if given the chance. 

Look, if you can get a top prospect arm that can step right in now and help bolster the BP, you gotta do it. 

If that means trading Green to get that guy, you have to look at that too. 

This is the same McDonald who is a 39 year old career utility infielder who hit .116/.197/.174 last year, right?

Yes. He sucks offensively, but at least MS would make him bunt with runners on, or PH for him in more important ones.

Much better than hitting into DPs.

Mmm maybe, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Daniel Norris and Aaron Loup or Casey Janssen for Howie then having a Lindsey/Green platoon at second. Shoemaker, Alvarez, Morin/Burnett if he's ever healthy, DDLR, Frieri, Smith, Janssen in the pen, Norris goes to High-A and hopefully gets promoted to AA at some point, DFA Freese, good show. 

Howie is serviceable and CHEAP. This is the reason he would be attractive for trade to someone that needs serviceable and cheap.

Only people who can't see past batting average as a way to rate a player, think f'n Howie Kendrick is anything but what he is...which is incredibly replaceable. GM's know better, because he has been on the trade block for years...and yet here he still is.

Hello!

what home said. howie is still here because no one wants him. the only people who think he is good are angel fans who badly overrate him.

we couldnt even get a 5th starter for him last year, seriously wake up people.

he's 2-3 war player. Pretty valuable imo. Trunbo was worth 2-3 war Edited by Poozy

Dodgers repordedly offered Zach Lee and Chris Withrow last year so his value isn't thaaat low. At least worthy of a good pitching prospect and a relief arm.

Not true. There were rumors that they were interested in Kendrick just before the trade deadline, but they never offered Lee and Withrow for Kendrick.

what home said.  howie is still here because no one wants him.  the only people who think he is good are angel fans who badly overrate him.

we couldnt even get a 5th starter for him last year, seriously wake up people.

I wouldn't say nobody wants Howie, and it isn't like Howie isn't any good. It is just the fact that nobody has been willing to offer (YET)what Howie is worth in return for pitching.

The value we would net, as a team, in pitching...with replacements in house..it is about filling needs to make the TEAM better as a unit.

I think Chuck has it right...we really need to pounce on a team in need, in order to get close to the value that Howie should give back in a trade.

Middle infielders are plentiful, we have a bunch of em. Pitchers are rare...but we need pitching MUCH MORE than we need Howie.

The opportunity will come, and when it does we need to jump at it.

Edited by Homebrewer

Idiotic. 

If you can bolster a weakness, when you're dealing from a strength, you do it. 

This line of thinking led to the Freese trade, a move people championed and are now calling for a platoon..  

Weakening a strength to try to strengthen a weakness can often just lead to more weaknesses.   One in hand, two in bush, etc etc, for every saying in favor of what you're talking about there is another that argues the opposite.  Green cannot play 2B -- the 2B strength is essentially Lindsey and while he's off to a very solid start, he's in a hitter's park in a hitter's league... Given the current situation I'd prefer the Angels take the risk averse route.... at least until the team falls out of contention at which point they can do whatever the hell they want.

Bedrosian, Alvarez, and Morin all seem to be throwing strikes and making people miss.  I'd much rather the team try to keep it afloat and use them before they trade off useful parts.

Edited by Inside Pitch

This line of thinking led to the Freese trade, a move people championed and are now calling for a platoon..  

Weakening a strength to try to strengthen a weakness can often just lead to more weaknesses.   

Not when your depth at 2B is as deep as the Angels.