• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels with RISP this season...

Yep. That's the difference in being 2 games out and probably 2 games up in the standings. 

I really feel they're missing Don Baylor. They were clicking so well, striking out less and showing plate discipline in ST under Baylor's guidance. 

and yet, they scored 14 runs so RISP doesn't seem to be the Holy Grail of run expectancy.

And hoping for 5 home runs in a game probably isn't the best strategy either. At some point, they will need to improve it, which is pretty inevitable seeing how low it is at the moment.

Edit: The Angels lead MLB with 20 home runs and are tied for third in runs scored with 67. Hell, maybe I'm wrong and they can rely on homers.

Edited by HeavenlyHalos

I believe batting w/ RISP is a useless stat...for perfect statistical machines. which, obviously baseball players are, seeing as everyone knows that there is no head game or emotion in baseball...right?

Edited by krAbs

Yes the mental and emotional preparation in sport is over weighted

quote name="krAbs" post="309124" timestamp="1397436049"]

I believe batting w/ RISP is a useless stat...for perfect statistical machines. which, obviously baseball players are, seeing as everyone knows that there is no head game or emotion in baseball...right?

This is mentioned so much, but I've never heard a solution... probably because things tend to normalize with a larger sample size... and because there is no solution.

The 2013 Cardinals posted a ridiculous team OPS of .865 with Runners In Scoring Position last year.  121 points higher than the next highest team OPS in the NL and 59 points better than any AL team.   Their overall OPS was .733.   They were a good hitting team, but went absolutely nuts with runners in scoring position. 

So far in 2014, the Cardinals have a .653 OPS....  .581 with runners in scoring position.  What are they doing differently?  Nothing, I'm guessing.

It isn't a useless stat.  It explains why things have happened.  Why a team has scored more or less runs than their overall offensive numbers say they should have scored.  Why a team is outperforming their 3rd order win total.  Good hitting teams will generally hit well in all situations. Poor hitting teams will generally hit poorly with runners in scoring position.   

Edited by ScottT

And hoping for 5 home runs in a game probably isn't the best strategy either. At some point, they will need to improve it, which is pretty inevitable seeing how low it is at the moment.

Edit: The Angels lead MLB with 20 home runs and are tied for third in runs scored with 67. Hell, maybe I'm wrong and they can rely on homers.

hah, I was just joking and the home runs are not sustainable to keep the offense alive. The Angels really need better at bats with runners on rather than all of the strike zone expanding they have managed the last couple of series.

I think your first point is correct. The Angels are the least clutch team in baseball. Piling on multiple homers in a blowout and consistently doing nothing late in close games doesn't help much in the win column.