• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Return for Vernon Wells

Chuck

Vernon Wells Return  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What players/prospects or (fill in the blank) will the Angels get from the Yankees

• David Aardsma
    • Dellin Betances
    • Joba Chamberlain
    • Phillip Hughes
    • David Phelps
    • Josh Spence
    • Jose Ramirez
    • Brett Marshall
    • None of the Above

Let the speculation begin....Who or what are the Angels getting in return for Vernon Wells. I keep hearing different figures as to how much money the Yankees will pick up, but what I'm more interested in is which players/prospects come back to the Angels.. if any!?!?

Vote, discuss...

Given that the Yankees will be paying Wells 6.5 million a year for the next two seasons, I don't think the return package will be huge.  More than likely, simply someone to add depth in AA or AAA.  Though I could see the Angels getting Josh Spence in return, given that they drafted him before and were quite high on him, but failed to sign him.  He'd be able to fill some space in AAA and if he gets his BB under control he could be a good young middle reliever. 

I don't see how the Yankees would pay 13 M of Wells contract and give any of the listed players. It's very surprising that they're paying 13 M. They would be insane to pay 13 M and give up one of those players.  

Stop trying to kill our boners.

If we dont get something useful, why make the deal?

the yanks are deserate, and are getting a good deal for a guy that can put up power, and in that park will not be terrible.

i dont get banging this deal, why give up depth for nothing, are we suddenly desperate to save payrol?

i dont know the yankee system well enough to know who it might be, but if its some AA nobody then this was a bad deal

guys and gals,

vernon is a great guy by all accounts, but he has been and will likely continue to be a really awful baseball player.  He's bad defensively, and atrocious offensively.  I don't know what his clubhouse presence is like, and that may be missed, but we won't come close to missing his production on the baseball field. 

.222/.258/.409/.667 is his line as an Angel. 

Maybe I lack sentimentality, but a career minor league OF will give us similar production. 

guys and gals,

vernon is a great guy by all accounts, but he has been and will likely continue to be a really awful baseball player.  He's bad defensively, and atrocious offensively.  I don't know what his clubhouse presence is like, and that may be missed, but we won't come close to missing his production on the baseball field. 

.222/.258/.409/.667 is his line as an Angel. 

Maybe I lack sentimentality, but a career minor league OF will give us similar production. 

Ya, this.

Vernon was a nice guy and all, but what he gave the Angels was nothing to be upset about losing at all.

His actual value is within the reach of the likes of Shuck or whoever if needed.

I have a feeling that the player we get back, if we get one back, won't be worth talking about much. Like others think, I'm guessing minor league depth.

I'm not familiar with the Yankees farm system but my guess is we get something similar to Brandon Sisk who we got from the Santana trade -- a borderline journeyman pitcher to start in AAA with at least some upside to help the team during septemeber callups. 

Low-level prospect with average upside or possibly a reliever that is closer or at the MLB level if the money involved is actually true.

There could potentially be more in play than just Vernon. Perhaps we might send one of our minor leaguers over in exchange for a better player in return?

Lots of different scenarios so this topic is a real guessing game.... I'm glad we were able to move him off of our 25-man roster to make room for someone like Conger or Calhoun.

Low-level prospect with average upside or possibly a reliever that is closer or at the MLB level if the money involved is actually true.

There could potentially be more in play than just Vernon. Perhaps we might send one of our minor leaguers over in exchange for a better player in return?

Lots of different scenarios so this topic is a real guessing game.... I'm glad we were able to move him off of our 25-man roster to make room for someone like Conger or Calhoun.

Agreed. It sounds like the Yankees wanted more right handed OF depth. Aside from Hamilton (and slap hitters like Aybar and Callaspo) our team is all right handed, so giving Conger and Calhoun a chance to get at bats is a good thing for the the Angels. 

Looks like our bench will likely be Romine, Conger, Calhoun and possibly Snyder (if we start with 3 catchers instead of 13 pitchers)