• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cliff Lee

UCLAngel

Yes, on the offensive side.  We already have 3 young starters, and 2 in their prime.  

I wouldnt mind getting Lee and sending Santiago to the minors, he looks lost.  

As much as I bashed on Santiago for his first two starts I have to respond to your comment:

Your giving up on him after 2 starts?????????????

The thought is based on the assumption that we're in the playoff hunt this year.

What teams are going to give up young, cost-controlled starters that are ready for the majors? We aren't getting those guys back. Sure, we could trade for young prospects years away from the bigs and hope they turn out in 2-3 years, but then you've given up a proven asset for a gamble that wastes years of Trout's prime.

Sure, giving up Howie for Lee would be ideal, but the Phil's aren't that dumb. They're set at 2B for a few years with Utley and have 3B covered too. Give them Lindsey and take back Lee's big contract. We've got money coming off the books next year and what pitcher out there could we sign for much less? If they throw in $10 mill, you get Lee at essentially $20 mill per year. With Yarbrough not too far behind Lindsey we'd still have a guy after Howie leaves. 2B is our only position with legitimate minor league depth. With Trout here, we have to figure out a way to win now. I think Lee's a good option.

why would they want Lindsay if they don't need a 2b?

I guess I see your line of thinking, but I think the Angels are gonna need a BP arm/bat rather than a SP (geez, I did not think I'd be saying that this season.) Casey Janssen, Jesse Crain, Jake Diekman, and James Russell are guys I'd look at for the pen, wouldn't cost anywhere near as much as Lee either. Cron and Green are probably the best bets to add some punch to the lineup. Frieri, Janssen/Crain, Smith, DDLR, Burnett (eventually), Kohn, and Shoemaker could be pretty good. 

If he is pitching well at the trade deadline and we are still in it, I would be very happy to take Lee off of their hands. He may be expensive but he would be a good get as long as it is merely a salary dump and we don't give up much to get him.

This.

Lee is one of the few megacontracts that has actually worked out pretty well.

You also have to realize that his bloated ERA is due to just that first start against Texas. Since then, 14 innings, 3 ER (2 starts). Last year, he brought the Phillies 222 2/3 innings with an ERA under 3.

• 2 weeks later...

He pitched a great game up the freeway. I still wouldn't take on all his salary.

I was at the game (free tickets behind first base) he looked awesome . My buddy who is a dodger fan said sarcastically "he's showcasing to the dodgers brass right now. All the suits are up there watching him" Lee was on fire last night had every batter guessing

I highly doubt the Dodgers trade for Cliff Lee. Besides the Phillies won't move him unless they are clearly out of it by the end of July. They place a high value in maintaining a false sense of perennial contenders with their fan base to keep buts in the seat.

I think they would be far more interested in Price after the season.

I highly doubt the Dodgers trade for Cliff Lee. Besides the Phillies won't move him unless they are clearly out of it by the end of July. They place a high value in maintaining a false sense of perennial contenders with their fan base to keep buts in the seat.

Sounds like the Angels organization

He'd be a salary dump. If we're helping them out then we need them to pay more than $10 mil and take whoever we give. If they don't like it then they can enjoy his services for the next few years.

Ruben Amaro does not do salary dumps. he would want elite prospects and would not want to pick up any of Lee's salary... i thought everyone knew this...