• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cliff Lee

UCLAngel

Could he be a potential mid-season target? He'd slot in nicely as our #1 with Weave, CJ, Garrett and Skaggs behind him. He's owed $50 mill over the next two years with a $27.5 mill vesting option if he pitches 200 innings in '15 or 400 innings in '14 and '15 combined. He's 35 right now.

The Phils are gonna be looking to save money. If we gave up Lindsey and a few other lesser prospects, I think they'd chip in about $10 million. Thoughts?

Could he be a potential mid-season target? He'd slot in nicely as our #1 with Weave, CJ, Garrett and Skaggs behind him. He's owed $50 mill over the next two years with a $27.5 mill vesting option if he pitches 200 innings in '15 or 400 innings in '14 and '15 combined. He's 35 right now.

The Phils are gonna be looking to save money. If we gave up Lindsey and a few other lesser prospects, I think they'd chip in about $10 million. Thoughts?

You've got it completely backwards. This off season the Angels need to be the ones trading away pricey veterans to contending teams in exchange for young prospects in return. 

Trade CJ Wilson, Hamilton plus a shipping container full of money, Aybar, and Kendrick for pitching and catching prospects.

Edited by ScottLux

You've got it completely backwards. This off season the Angels need to be the ones trading away pricey veterans to contending teams in exchange for young prospects in return. 

Trade CJ Wilson, Hamilton plus a shipping container full of money, Aybar, and Kendrick for pitching and catching prospects.

I don't agree with that either.  Attrition will make us younger.  I just don't want us to get older via trades.  Now, if we can get solid prospects for Aybar and Kendrick then we should do so. 

I was wondering if Lee would be a good target laat year. I think he would come cheap in trade chips because the main goal for the phills would be to get hid salary off the books

For me it depends where we are at. If we are right in there for a playoff spot, if be for it (if we didnt give up a ton of talent). If we are out of it....not him or anyone else

This team is 0-2 on mega-contracts for players in their 30's and well past their prime. Third time's the charm. 

Not.

Angels are worse than that. Inheriting Vernon Wells contract for one. Even Mo Vaughn was given the highest AAV contract ever back in 1999.  

The thought is based on the assumption that we're in the playoff hunt this year.

What teams are going to give up young, cost-controlled starters that are ready for the majors? We aren't getting those guys back. Sure, we could trade for young prospects years away from the bigs and hope they turn out in 2-3 years, but then you've given up a proven asset for a gamble that wastes years of Trout's prime.

Sure, giving up Howie for Lee would be ideal, but the Phil's aren't that dumb. They're set at 2B for a few years with Utley and have 3B covered too. Give them Lindsey and take back Lee's big contract. We've got money coming off the books next year and what pitcher out there could we sign for much less? If they throw in $10 mill, you get Lee at essentially $20 mill per year. With Yarbrough not too far behind Lindsey we'd still have a guy after Howie leaves. 2B is our only position with legitimate minor league depth. With Trout here, we have to figure out a way to win now. I think Lee's a good option.

i can see a line of thinking where that would make logical sense, of course that's a line where the angels are winning, have no real worthy prospects and don't mind taking on some money for a couple years. i know that teams don't care all that much how much money a player is being paid if it's a short term deal. i'm not saying i agree with that line, but i can see how it could make sense if those three qualifiers have been met.