• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One area in which this franchise is not cursed.

gurn67

I, like most Angels' fans, always think that this organization has been cursed in one way or another with two exceptions: That amazing run in the Fall of 2002 and the fact that on a June day in 2009 21 other teams could have drafted quite possibly the greatest player of his generation and didn't.

One area the franchise as a whole has been quite lucky is in the low amount of Tommy John surgeries. As the chart in this article shows, the Angels are tied for the fewest TJ surgeries at the Major League level since 2004 with 2 and tied for 3rd for fewest for an organization with 8.

http://mlb.si.com/2014/04/10/matt-moore-tommy-john-surgery-tampa-bay-rays/?eref=sihp

However, I did notice that the teams with the most TJ surgeries also seem to have pretty good pitching year after year (Braves, A's, Cardinals). Perhaps consistently throwing strike one causes undue stress to the UCL.

Well, for me, it started when I was 10 and my favorite Angel was shot to death in Chicago. However, I was being sarcastic about the whole curse thing and do realize that crappy things happen to pretty much every team. My uncle was a diehard Cubs fans until the day he died so no matter what happens in the future, or how long I live, I did get to experience 2002 and many fans never get to see their favorite team win a championship which is the real curse.

It's a good cop out for plain old losing.

Some organizations just don't bother trying to put a quality product on the field, Occasionally they will catch lightning in a bottle and be in contention for a year or two, but historically they suck. The Chicago Cubs are one such franchise. The fans have become so invested in the "curse" and "lovable loser" image that they pack the park no matter how good or bad the team is. Ownership doesn't have to invest in a good product because the fans will show up in large numbers to see a bad one.