• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Michael Pineda blatantly cheating

The Red Sox saw it but didn't ask the umps to do anything about it.  So, if he's cheating and getting away with it it's because the Red Sox don't want to bring any attention to guys like Lester and Buckwhatever, both of who were accused using illegal substances last year.

As a goof, Angels hitters should go to the plate with a wet-nap in their pocket and ask the umps to have the Yankee/Red Sox pitchers to please clean their hands.

Exactly.  The Red Sox aren't going to say anything about it because their own guys were accused of doing it last year (and probably still are).

This is why I don't get when baseball old timers say stuff about baseball purists. Nothing about baseballs past present or future is sacred. That goes with every sport. There is cheating in every game, probably more so in baseball. If someone in football was caught cheating they'd get fined and suspended. Basketball I don't know how you cheat there other than the refs calling games. But baseball this will just be if anything a 5 day suspension where he misses 1 start, and be forgotten about.

It is a funny argument. I like how Buchholz didn't seem to mind: "I had that instance last year in Toronto, people said I had stuff all over my body you can use -- rosin, water, the whole sunscreen stuff, whatever. I'd rather have a grip on the baseball and semi-know where it's going [than] have no grip and get somebody hurt." He actually suggests the teams are happier and safer with the pitcher using a substance. 

I also think it's a "different" type of cheating that is within baseball lore and tradition of spitballs, and scuffing. It's viewed as clever cheating rather than steroids cheating. 

It is a funny argument. I like how Buchholz didn't seem to mind: "I had that instance last year in Toronto, people said I had stuff all over my body you can use -- rosin, water, the whole sunscreen stuff, whatever. I'd rather have a grip on the baseball and semi-know where it's going [than] have no grip and get somebody hurt." He actually suggests the teams are happier and safer with the pitcher using a substance. 

I also think it's a "different" type of cheating that is within baseball lore and tradition of spitballs, and scuffing. It's viewed as clever cheating rather than steroids cheating. 

I should add, though, that only Angels pitchers in my memory--Donnelly, seem to get caught and questioned by the opposing manager. 

I think most pitchers cheat to a certain degree. Pineda is just bad at it.

On mlb network an analyst said managers know most pitchers cheat but don't say anything bc their own pitchers do it. It's another unwritten rule in baseball I guess that you don't snitch?

This is why I don't get when baseball old timers say stuff about baseball purists. Nothing about baseballs past present or future is sacred. That goes with every sport. There is cheating in every game, probably more so in baseball. If someone in football was caught cheating they'd get fined and suspended. Basketball I don't know how you cheat there other than the refs calling games. But baseball this will just be if anything a 5 day suspension where he misses 1 start, and be forgotten about.

In basketball it is called flopping

I think most pitchers cheat to a certain degree. Pineda is just bad at it.

On mlb network an analyst said managers know most pitchers cheat but don't say anything bc their own pitchers do it. It's another unwritten rule in baseball I guess that you don't snitch?

So was Jose Guillen a rat-fink or a hero?

If you are going to ignore this type of cheating, you might as well allow PEDs.

I disagree in that PED use essentially forced players to do something illegal and potentially dangerous to remain competitive. The intent of the foreign substance rule is to prevent pitchers from gaining an unfair advantage and creating danger from lack of control. What pitchers do now is to help them maintain a solid grip. Hitters now wear body armor and use maple bats but pitchers have gained very little in technio advancement. We have a better balance between pitching and hitting right now than we've had in quite awhile.

You'd like to think they could do a better job of hiding it but what they're doing is actually good for the overall game.

I disagree in that PED use essentially forced players to do something illegal and potentially dangerous to remain competitive. The intent of the foreign substance rule is to prevent pitchers from gaining an unfair advantage and creating danger from lack of control. What pitchers do now is to help them maintain a solid grip. Hitters now wear body armor and use maple bats but pitchers have gained very little in technio advancement. We have a better balance between pitching and hitting right now than we've had in quite awhile.

You'd like to think they could do a better job of hiding it but what they're doing is actually good for the overall game.

So it's better for the overall game to see more 2-1 games than 10-9 games? Cheating is cheating. They are putting a foreign substance on the ball giving them a better grip, which gives them an advantage against the hitter. Because a hitter wears body armor doesn't make him hit a slider better.

Edited by xboom28x

It doesn't make him hit anything better. It allows him to "wear one" for the team. One he possibly wouldn't be able to wear had the pitcher not lost grip.

Are you saying that if the league bans body armor then they would be forced to ban putting substance on a ball? Because I would be all for that. Even though I still don't believe "wearing one" gives a hitter any certain advantage in actually hitting the ball. There is a rosin bag on the mound for the exact purpose of drying the hand so you don't throw wildly to home plate.