• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vin Scully bio for Torii Hunter

Like all of the great broadcasters, Vin comes from the days of radio where you had to be a great story teller. Television, for better and worse, has taken much of that away. Today's broadcasters pause in silence between each pitch waiting for something to happen. Scully fills the void with great stories only to be interrupted by a baseball game.

As many of you might know, Hank Aaron slugged his 715th homer off Dodger pitcher Al Downing. In the broadcast booth that night announcing for the Dodgers was Vin Scully. After pausing for a minute and a half to let his audience listen and savor the moment, he put the event into perspective with this amazing monologue:

"What a marvelous moment for baseball. What a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia. What a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly Henry Aaron."

As many of you might know, Hank Aaron slugged his 715th homer off Dodger pitcher Al Downing. In the broadcast booth that night announcing for the Dodgers was Vin Scully. After pausing for a minute and a half to let his audience listen and savor the moment, he put the event into perspective with this amazing monologue:

"What a marvelous moment for baseball. What a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia. What a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly Henry Aaron."

I heard the clip this afternoon while listening to sport talk radio. What inside info is the OP referring to? The entire story or the part about the jacket and the crack pipe? I'm not sure if I heard that part before, but the rest of the story is well known.

I attended a luncheon for at-risk youths in 2011 and Torii Hunter was the guest speaker. Torii told the exact same story about the jacket and the crack pipe. He had a tough childhood. Sure miss him wearing an Angels uniform.

Edited by Hamiltown

Am I the only one that thinks hes a terrible broadcaster? I would rather listen to Rojas and Gubi then listen to his garbage stories, just the sound of his voice puts me to sleep.

Yes I think you are. I mean no disrespect with this question, but I'm curious, how old are you? I am thinking maybe Vin is more of a generational kind of guy.

Am I the only one that thinks hes a terrible broadcaster? I would rather listen to Rojas and Gubi then listen to his garbage stories, just the sound of his voice puts me to sleep.

Scully is a national treasure like Chick Hearn was and the Kings Bob Miller. Even Rojas would agree that Vin Scully is someone he has great respect for.

Scully is a national treasure like Chick Hearn was and the Kings Bob Miller. Even Rojas would agree that Vin Scully is someone he has great respect for.

Rojas has a great story about calling Vin's phone and expecting to leave a message when all the sudden he actually picked it up. Victor was caught off guard but Scully talked to him for a considerable amount of time and it turned out to be an outstanding interview.

http://therojasspoils.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/vin-scully-chat/