• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Head first slides

Torridd

Usually at first runners try and just touch the bag and kind of slide past/over it, which has a huge potential for injury when you're running full speed.  They start the slide much later.  As opposed to other bases, you don't have to slide under a tag; you're just trying to beat the ball.  Sliding into 2nd and 3rd you slide much earlier, so your momentum is slowed as you approach the base and try to get under the tag.

It isn't even necessarily even the injury risk that makes it dumb, it's the fact that the runner isn't getting to the base any faster by sliding rather than just running through it. 

Totally uncalled for IMO. The risk for injury outweighs the extra split second it appears to give the runner.

When I look at runners doing this it appears to me that they would be better off running through the bag. It's not like 2nd or 3rd where you have to stop.

Does anyone have any data to support if it really is faster to slide into first?

It's called reacting. Even though it doesn't make sense you just react.

It could also be pride or stubbornness. He may not want to announce to the world that it was a dumb or rash move so in this way he saves some face. I'd be surprised if he ever did it again.

It could also be pride or stubbornness. He may not want to announce to the world that it was a dumb or rash move so in this way he saves some face. I'd be surprised if he ever did it again.

Its not pride, its not stubbornness. It is simply reacting. I struggle to understand how you guys don't get it. These guys are competitive and they react, hell if they think too much it might do more harm than good. Haven't you guys ever done something stupid and you really can't explain why you did it? I remember playing football in the street on Thanksgiving day when I was about 16. I dove for a ball on the asphalt. I don't know why I did it other than to try and catch a ball in a meaningless game of football. I've seen high school runners that are trained to run through the finish line jump to the finish line because they were reacting. It sucks that he got hurt and I don't want him to dive into first, but I understand why it happened and won't crucify him for it.

Its not pride, its not stubbornness. It is simply reacting. I struggle to understand how you guys don't get it. These guys are competitive and they react, hell if they think too much it might do more harm than good. Haven't you guys ever done something stupid and you really can't explain why you did it? I remember playing football in the street on Thanksgiving day when I was about 16. I dove for a ball on the asphalt. I don't know why I did it other than to try and catch a ball in a meaningless game of football. I've seen high school runners that are trained to run through the finish line jump to the finish line because they were reacting. It sucks that he got hurt and I don't want him to dive into first, but I understand why it happened and won't crucify him for it.

I'm not crucifying him, but I disagree with your "reaction" theory. He's not a puma or monkey, he's a person. That means he can learn from his mistake. Just because he's an aggressive athlete doesn't mean he has to play without any sense.

It's the same with him laying off a high fastball. You know you shouldn't do it, so don't.

I think it is great to see him wanting it so bad as to do something like that. Certainly better than last season when he was looping down the lines and laughing after K's.

He isn't exactly bright, but it is good to see him giving it his all, even if it is in a dumb way.

That is the only positive I can find in something that cost the team it's hottest hitter for a 2 month DL stint.

Edited by Homebrewer

I think it is great to see him wanting it so bad as to do something like that. Certainly better than last season when he was looping down the lines and laughing after K's.

He isn't exactly bright, but it is good to see him giving it his all, even if it is in a dumb way.

That is the only positive I can find in something that cost the team it's hottest hitter for a 2 month DL stint.

Actually, it could cost us for an even longer time. There's the question of how long it takes for a hitter to get his swing back and his timing down, to the point where he's comfortable facing live pitching again. That's what Spring Training was for. Hamilton was locked in after a month of preseason at-bats.

There's also the unknown of how the injury to the thumb will affect his grip. Will that be 100% right away?