• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Assuming we draft Jackson, our future isn't that bad

Yadier couldn't hit in the beginning of his career either. The point is he's a game-changer behind the plate.

I get the point you're making but Yadier was further along at the same age, and had performed better.

Hedges is almost the prototype for the regressing HS catching prospect -- I'm not even saying that to bag on the kid, but he's essentially Jeff Mathis redux.   Like Mathis, his showing in the Midwest League really put him on the prospect map -- he showed some pop in a severe pitcher's league, had a decent OBP, and had good contact rates, but like Mathis and like is all too common in HS catchers, he's been regressing ever since then.  His home parks have helped mask some of it -- but the's definitely regressed.

There is a belief in some baseball circles that HS catchers are more advanced with a greater feel for the game than other position players because they were responsible for more during games and as such get off to better minor league starts.  It's believed that as the other players catch up from a coaching/knowledge standpoint the catchers get passed by.   This is somewhat similar to the belief that some SoCal players are overrated at prep levels because they typically have better coaching early on and the weather allows them more playing time.

I disagree with the Mathis comparison, but time will tell.

I'm sorry, I worded that a bit poorly.  I wasn't comparing him to Mathis so much as comparing the situation and the parallels between the two players...  People don't like what Mathis ended up being -- but he was a really well regarded prospect.

Mathis didn't hit a wall til AA -- but his regression was masked by the parks he played in at AA and AAA.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think you take the player that is highest ranked on your draft board when your pick comes up. Saying you don't need a CF because you have Trout is lunacy. Quite a bit can happen in the three years that it will take for the draftee to crack the ML roster. Not to mention said prospect can always be flipped for an area of need.

Our farm needs high quality of everything. Pitching is always the way to build an organization but you do not take a pitcher "just to take a pitcher" when there is an offensive player on the board that is ranked higher. With that said, I would probably tend to draft pitching heavy just about every draft myself.

With the Angels often drafting players straight out of high school, that three years is more likely to become five or six years (see Cowart).

Regarding the 2000 draft for catchers, didn't the Halos select Jared Abruzzo in the 3rd round, only to see him leave baseball after only some 3-4 years?

HS catchers are just an awful, awful bet.   I think if you come across a guy thats so much better than everyone else he's an obvious first pick in the draft you then you take the risk, but otherwise -- it's a huge crapshoot.  Catching is just hard, period.  Even college catchers flame out at above average levels -- remember Eric Munson 1st overall pick and Jeff Clement 3rd overall pick?  Both were supposed to be sure bets who at worst would see their bats carry them if they couldn't catch.  Nope.

HS catchers are just an awful, awful bet.   I think if you come across a guy thats so much better than everyone else he's an obvious first pick in the draft you then you take the risk, but otherwise -- it's a huge crapshoot.  Catching is just hard, period.  Even college catchers flame out at above average levels -- remember Eric Munson 1st overall pick and Jeff Clement 3rd overall pick?  Both were supposed to be sure bets who at worst would see their bats carry them if they couldn't catch.  Nope.

It seems that catching prospects have the most to learn of any farm hand.  So there is going to be greater variability from where they start.  I would much rather see the halos get a top notch starting pitcher.