• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Assuming we draft Jackson, our future isn't that bad

Think about it. We have some respectable prospects at a lot of other positions.

In the near distance future I could see this

C - Jackson

1B - Hinkle/Snyder

2B - Green

3B - Cowart

SS - Rondon

OF - Fish

OF - Trout

OF - Borenstein

DH - Hinkle/Snyder

SP - Santiago

SP - Skaggs

SP - Richards

SP - Sappington

SP - Morris

There are a handful of future role-player types - Johnson, Yarbrough, Cron, Long, Hernandez, Bemboom, etc.

The only real obstacle in getting this is

1) Finding a way to get rid of Pujols and Hamilton. I can see desperate teams trading for Aybar, Kendrick, etc but they'll avoid Pujols and Hamilton like the plague b/c of their contracts. In that scenario, the Angels are going to have to bite the bullet and pay the remainder.

2) Making sure we don't trade these guys for rentals like Greinke or Freese.

For as bad as some of his transactions have been, Dipoto's drafts have been very good, all things considered.

Because he's a first round talent at a position the franchise is devoid of.

So was Conger... 

Pitching is what we need. Don't even think about drafting anything other than pitching at least till the 6th round. Gotta restock our system with some arms.

So was Conger... 

Pitching is what we need. Don't even think about drafting anything other than pitching at least till the 6th round. Gotta restock our system with some arms.

I don't follow your logic about Conger.

Because the Angels drafted a catcher in the first round when they supposedly needed one and he became a bust, that makes all catchers who are drafted in the first round when the Angels need one eventual busts?

Because the Angels drafted a catcher in the first round when they supposedly needed one and he became a bust, that makes all catchers who are drafted in the first round when the Angels need one eventual busts?

Not at all. Everyone is different. I completely understand that. Right now though, hitting isn't our problem. We need arms. A lot of young arms to get our system up again. 

I think you take the player that is highest ranked on your draft board when your pick comes up. Saying you don't need a CF because you have Trout is lunacy. Quite a bit can happen in the three years that it will take for the draftee to crack the ML roster. Not to mention said prospect can always be flipped for an area of need.

Our farm needs high quality of everything. Pitching is always the way to build an organization but you do not take a pitcher "just to take a pitcher" when there is an offensive player on the board that is ranked higher. With that said, I would probably tend to draft pitching heavy just about every draft myself.

Hamilton, if I am not mistaken, has only three years left after this year. Are all these guys ready within three years?

Think about it. We have some respectable prospects at a lot of other positions.

In the near distance future I could see this

C - Jackson

1B - Hinkle/Snyder

2B - Green

3B - Cowart

SS - Rondon

OF - Fish

OF - Trout

OF - Borenstein

DH - Hinkle/Snyder

SP - Santiago

SP - Skaggs

SP - Richards

SP - Sappington

SP - Morris

There are a handful of future role-player types - Johnson, Yarbrough, Cron, Long, Hernandez, Bemboom, etc.

The only real obstacle in getting this is

1) Finding a way to get rid of Pujols and Hamilton. I can see desperate teams trading for Aybar, Kendrick, etc but they'll avoid Pujols and Hamilton like the plague b/c of their contracts. In that scenario, the Angels are going to have to bite the bullet and pay the remainder.

2) Making sure we don't trade these guys for rentals like Greinke or Freese.

For as bad as some of his transactions have been, Dipoto's drafts have been very good, all things considered.

Because most draft picks are busts.

quote name="Fontana Halo" post="306259" timestamp="1397188309"]

Not at all. Everyone is different. I completely understand that. Right now though, hitting isn't our problem. We need arms. A lot of young arms to get our system up again. 

I won't argue that we don't need more pitching. But I don't like the idea of drafting a position moreso than a player. Take the best player available. If Jackson were to fall to us, I could almost guarantee he'd be the BPA.

Edited by Fontana Halo

Mathis was a first round pick, Napoli 17th round. Your argument is getting weaker by the minute.

Because most draft picks are busts.

quote name="Fontana Halo" post="306259" timestamp="1397188309"]

Define "bust".

I would loosely define it as a player who does not meet his expectations that his drafting franchise had when he was selected.

High school catchers have the highest bust rate among position players -- this has been true for a good 30 years now..   I'd seriously hope the Angels not take on that risk and look for a surer bet, or if they are thinking of drafting for need, I'd much rather hope to see them fill the glaring hole at SP.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Recent 1st round HS catchers

1999 - Ryan Christiansen, 11th pick -- was super hyped, famed for once having thrown a ball from his knees to 2B that was caught by the CFer at his shoes. Out of baseball by 2007. Nick Trezesniak, 51st - out of baseball ny 2008.

53 HS catchers were drafted -- 3 MLBers led by Ryan Doumit, a 4th rounder. (Rob Bowen, J.R. House)

2000 - Scott Heard, 25th pick -- nice debut and out of baseball by 2004.

24 HS catchers were drafted -- 2 MLBers led by Yadier Molina, a 4th rounder (Mike Napoli)

2001 - Joe Mauer, 1st overall pick of the draft -- Stud. Jeff Mathis, 33rd pick -- Pud.

60 HS catchers were drafted -- 4 MLBers (Giovanni Soto, Rene Rivera). This may be one of the more successful HS catcher crops -- the top 3 picks all saw MLB time.

2002 - None taken in 1st round. Highest HS catcher taken was Corey Schafer, 45th overall -- out of baseball by 2006. 2nd highest was Adam Donachie, 47th overall -- 6 years in AA, hit .208 over that span.

55 HS catchers taken -- 2 MLBers led by Brian McCaan (Kyle Phillps).

2003 - Daric Barton, 28th pick -- Converted to 1B by the time he was 19. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, 37th pick - .248/.310/.428 despite a career played almost entirely in Texas and Boston.

68 HS catchers taken -- 3 MLBers (Steve Lerrud)

2004 - Neil Walker, 11th pick -- Converted to 3B within two years, MLB 2B. Pretty solid career. Jon Potersen, 37th pick -- out of baseball by 2009.

47 HS catchers taken - 4 MLBers (Martin Maldonado, Angel Salome, Louis Marson)

2005 - Brandon Snyder, 13th pick -- Played 3B after being drafted, converted to 1B within two years -- .686 OPS in a career played in Balt, Texas, Bos.

61 HS catchers taken, 4 MLBers (Bryan Anderson, Josh Thole, Luis Exposito)

2006 - Hank Conger, 25th pick - .664 OPS..

52 HS catchers taken, 1 MLBer.

2007 - Devin Mesoraco, 15th pick - .658 OPS. Travis d'Arnaud 37th pick -- rookie year.

48 HS catchers taken, 4 MLBers (Austin Romine, Derek Norris).

2008 - Kyle Skipworth, 6th pick - .621 AAA OPS.

40 HS catchers taken, 2 MLBers totaling 13 at bats (Adrian Nieto)

2009 - Steve Baron, 33rd pick -- .601 OPS in High A.

60 HS catchers taken, 2 MLBers totaling 11 at bats (Max Stassi, Tucker Banhart) Wil Myers was drafted as a C in the 4th round -- converted to RF in AA

2010 - Kellin Deglan, 22nd pick -- .721 OPS in High A. Justin O'Conner, 31st pick - 671 OPS in Low A.

46 HS catchers taken

2011 - Blake Swihart, 26th pick -- .794 OPS in High A. Brett Austin, 54th pick -- Did not sign, at NC State.

57 HS catchers taken

2012 - Stryker Tahan 26th pick -- rookie ball. Clint Coutler 27th pick -- .693 OPS Low A. Steve Bean, 59h pick -- .613 OPS rookie ball.

53 HS catchers taken

2013 - Reese McGuire 14th pick -- rookie ball. Nick Cuiffo 21st pick -- rookie ball.

41 HS catchers taken

You look at those numbers and you have to consider Hank Conger as a success.

Edited by Inside Pitch