• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kudos to Albert Pujols

Some of you guys care way too much about what others post. Who cares if this is a knee-jerk? Pujols is looking much better the last two games so he deserves props for it. The first 7 games he looked like crap so he deserved crap for it.

If people were still saying negative things about him you guys would complain about that as well. I seriously don't understand what you guys want people to post.

I am ecstatic that Pujols is doing much better. But I find it funny how some say that 7 games was to small a sample size but yet Calhoun has been moved from lead off and no one complains. Past achievements don't carry over to future seasons. I just want the hottest players playing and our Angels winning.

Until a loss caused by Scioscia bringing in Jepsen, haha. But yes a 10 gamer would be nice.

I miss the days when the Angels bullpen was stacked with guys like Percival, KRod, Shields, Hasegawa, Weber etc. and Scioscia didn't have the option of making a bad decision in that department. 

I think Calhoun has proven to not be a very good fit for the leadoff spot, thats probably why he was moved down.  

As for Pujols, I never really worried too much about him.  I wrote this in the other thread before he got hot

Qft.  Its kind of sad how quickly people are turning on him.  It looks like its all mental to me.  Once he gets a few good swings and a couple dingers im confident he'll be back to his old self.  A lot of players start out slow.  

The best thing about Albert is he has a lot of pride.  I think he wants to start dominating again as bad as the fans do.  He doesnt strike me as the Vernon Wells type to just collect a paycheck.

Even though Pujols might be raking its still not enough to carry this offense.  We wont win very many 2-0 games off Pujols homers.  The rest of the lineup has to get it together but unfortunately I cant see imagine that happening.  The usual suspects look worse then ever at the plate, its one garbage at bat after another.  We cant win with all the lineup except for 2 guys is going 0-4.  

Edited by QuinlansMinion

Because he hasn't really been moved from the leadoff spot, it happened once. If by chance he has been, it is because they like the idea of him driving in runs, thus batting him in the middle of the line up. This is kind of like when he was "benched" in Houston. Getting a day off isn't the same as a benching, except on a message board.

I think Calhoun has proven to not be a very good fit for the leadoff spot, thats probably why he was moved down.

As for Pujols, I never really worried too much about him. I wrote this in the other thread before he got hot

Even though Pujols might be raking its still not enough to carry this offense. We wont win very many 2-0 games off Pujols homers. The rest of the lineup has to get it together but unfortunately I cant see imagine that happening. The usual suspects look worse then ever at the plate, its one garbage at bat after another. We cant win with all the lineup except for 2 guys is going 0-4.

No he hasn't "proven' he isn't a good fit. It takes more than seven games to decide that. You were right last night when you were talking about where he should be in the line up, but this has nothing to do with whether or not he would be a good lead off hitter.

No he hasn't "proven' he isn't a good fit. It takes more than seven games to decide that. You were right last night when you were talking about where he should be in the line up, but this has nothing to do with whether or not he would be a good lead off hitter.

He doesnt seem to know when to be aggressive and when to take pitches.  Ive seen him take first pitch fastballs right down the middle in his 2nd and 3rd at bats.  For a leadoff hitter your first at bat is the one you should focus primarily on taking pitches, working counts, while trying to get on base any way possible.  The rest of your at bats its just about getting on base but it doesnt have to be a walk.  

Figgins was the perfect leadoff hitter when he used to be good.  He could work counts and hit with 2 strikes, and if he got a pitch to hit he would always make great contact.  I remember that stretch where he hit over .400 for months.  

Calhoun is learning on the job, leave him there, he is usually a patient hitter. Let him get accustom to the role and judge him by mid-season. I actually want my leadoff hitter to take pitches no matter what at bat he is on. If you think about it, more times than not, by his third at bat it will be a new pitchers. Leading off is a mindset.

Trout will never put up the gaudy offensive numbers pujols did hoops. Trout isnt a traditional 'slugger', and albert peaked in a different era. Pujols put up juiced numbers in a juiced era. Not at all pointing fingers, just that guys playing now cant match them. (Look how much better pitching is).

The reason I disagree that pujols was better is because trouts a true 5 tool guy. So whereas pujols is pretty hard to beat (for anyone) batwise, he was also a 1B. If trout was playing 1B with his bat, he would be a very good hitter but probably not as celebrated because he wouldnt have the rep with his glove. (And trout is a true basestealer).

But to back YOT's topic, agreed. Both those home runs were bombs. Im not expecting that to be the staus quo, but ill be more than happy getting the 2012 pujols back. Give me that, and trout breaking out of his current funk, and our lineup can tread water for a bit until hamilton comes back (or someone else catches fire).

Albert Pujols, though, was no slouch defensively. He was, and is again, a very skilled first baseman with a soft glove. He doesn't have Trout's speed, but he has been a great all around player. However, Trout is our best player now, and he will only continue to get better. He is a rare, few in a generation type of talent.

Wow, he's hit two home runs.

Wachya want, a cookie!?!!

YK, there's nothing wrong with giving kudos when it's due. Even if a player's been struggling to that point. 

I mean, you're not bitter toward Pujols for collecting a big check are you? 

Some of you guys care way too much about what others post. Who cares if this is a knee-jerk? Pujols is looking much better the last two games so he deserves props for it. The first 7 games he looked like crap so he deserved crap for it.

If people were still saying negative things about him you guys would complain about that as well. I seriously don't understand what you guys want people to post.

seriously.

it's like they've never posted on a sports message board before.

I agree. While I want a tighter ship here, I do NOT want our members micromanaged unless all they bring to the table is their trollage or negativity 24/7.

My Mods know this. If you have a problem with the way your post has been moderated, please send me a PM. 

I'm guardedly optimistic. Those swings did look better, and we saw some of the old Pujols power.

His report card will be ready at the end of the month.

That is a good way to look at it. The past couple of games, though, I have been seeing the type of swing and movement from Pujols that harkens back to his days of superstardom. Those homerun swings were smooth, effortless, and lethal. His timing at the plate keeps getting sharper and sharper. His play at first looks very smooth as well. We are going to need vintage Pujols and, of course, for Trout to be Trout. Without Hamilton those two are our offense - and all that we can count on. Calhoun should be good as he gets experience, but ouch, after that not much has been happening. If AP can get back to his accustomed offensive output, it will strenthen the rest of the lineup in a big way, and it will absolutely pay dividends for Trout.

YK, there's nothing wrong with giving kudos when it's due. Even if a player's been struggling to that point. 

I mean, you're not bitter toward Pujols for collecting a big check are you? 

I'm just not a fan of Pujols'.  Or Hammy for that matter.  Pujols' personality or his Angels contributions have done nothing for me.  What he did in St. Louis means nothing to me.

What do I care about his paycheck? 

That seems to be a standard aw defense mechanism:  If you don't like a player, you must be 'jealous' or 'bitter' - lets play this out to a logical conclusion - so if a guy is making $25 million and I criticize him, I am bitter - but the guy making say 7 million a year, say 35x my salary, I am not bitter?

What is the salary line where if you criticize a player, you are bitter:  $25 mil?  $15 mil?  $5 mil?

I think tdawg posts the same posts every time someone jokes about the ones that get too high or too low. Like the defender of that group.

If we had a graph of posters posting habits, some have a mellow line and some have an erratic line. It's always going to be like that, no one is being dramatic or confrontational.

I think it was a day or two after Chuck posted about a lineup change (I think the question or idea is at least good discussion) then Albert went off. Maybe just coincidence. Just funny to see swings of opinion day to day. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure no one would care if I was the 8th poster in a thread to give him props or shit on him on a day to day basis. 

To me it's if you don't have the ability to be complimentary when he does well and you only criticize the player. It just sounds like you have an ax to grind.

It was two stinking games.  If he has two crappy games in a row, you'd be all over a poster who criticized him (justifiably so).

Can we wait until he at least gets an AL player of the week before we all genuflect to him?

To me it's if you don't have the ability to be complimentary when he does well and you only criticize the player. It just sounds like you have an ax to grind.

....or you think it's cool to criticize virtually everything in baseball.  No one likes to be around a constant critic, except other critics who use it to reinforce their opinion.