• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Iannetta behind the dish

I'm not going to put all the blame on Ianetta on that past ball. He was set up outside and it looks like he was crossed up, maybe expecting something soft and outside. Then had to react to something hard and inside, reaching across his body. If he was expecting the pitch to be inside his body would have been set up right behind the plate.

He should have caught it in my opinion. However, the pitch calling was absolutely absurd. Does Mike call every pitch? I thought we established that in previous years that he doesn't. Sosh was a long time catcher, and a very good defensive one who called excellent games. Does anyone think he would have called for fastballs on two hitters one that was 1 and 2 and the other that was 0 and 2 (both hitting with 2 outs)? Both hitters being fastball hitters and prone to strike outs? Any one with a sense of proper strategy would have called for a breaking ball to expand the zone. What happened? Two fastballs right in the wheelhouses of both hitters, with Hart's being essentially the game winning homerun. I would hope that it wasn't a manager that would make such a choice. Ianetta is supposed to be a veteran catcher, one would think that he would be a bit more adroit than that. Santiago shares plenty in the blame as well. His team handed him a 3 run lead and he pitches scared?

In the game last night, they showed Scioscia sending in signs to Iannetta, and the play by play guys at least thought he was calling pitches. I hope that's not the case as that's way too much micro management. 

Edited by Michifan

Last nights passed ball was a cross up between pitcher and catcher, period! Pitcher could have stepped off or catcher could of have called time. Either way, it was a communication issue that cost us the game. You give any major league team more than three outs and you're asking for trouble.

I actually didn't have as much of a problem with the passed ball.  It happens.  That was actually pretty tough for Iannetta to get to.  

My problem was with Iannetta calling an 0-2 fastball and asking Santiago to locate it in a spot with very little margin for error.  Santiago has good stuff but not great control.  Don't ask your pitchers to do something they aren't capable of, and if you do, make it so that a missed location is out of the zone.  Then, he did it again later with hart.  Smoak's double in the at bat just preceding Hart's hr was also a fastball on a 1-2 count.  

When the announcers start wondering on air why the same pitch keeps getting called and deposited into the OF, I think it's clearly something they need to take a look at. 

Even after all that the Angels were only down by a run.  Then Hammy took himself out of the game and the rest of the offense went to sleep.

They went to sleep well before that.  I'm tired of seeing that crap.  

I'm not sure why Iannetta is getting the greater amount of share time behind the plate. The defensive metrics out there don't favor him pretty much across the board. Conger has his flaws too but I think someone like Jered Weaver would be much better off having Conger as his pitch framer than Ianneta.

Both Conger and Iannetta have similar offensive potentials and I'm not sure why Conger isn't hitting against all LHP's at this point in time.

You mean RHP's correct ettin? Conger has a career 86 wRC+ as a lefty, 73 as a righty.

Yes correct. I was thinking of Conger's swing when I should have been thinking about the pitcher's arm LOL!

Kurt Suzuki is terrible though

kurt suzuki is not terrible. he's incredibly durable also.

also, i'm disappointed in ianetta. he's made zero positive impact offensively, defensively or pitch calling. i'd hope that he wasn't resigned when the time comes, or better yet that he was traded. if/when we're out of it this year.

Edited by ukyah

So, forgive my ignorance....but is Conger so bad defensively that the upside of his bat does not overcome Ianetta and his average to below average defensive skills and atrocious offense.  I would really like to see Conger given atleast half the starts if not more. His defense has been improving has it not ?

he's a very good hitter vs. lefties.  he'd actually be a nice DH option in a platoon with Ibanez. 

It's too bad Conger had such a poor spring as I think he could have taken control of the position.  Granted, he's got his own issues with defense as he's mediocre at best when he has to move.  His game calling and receiver skills are good though.  I actually thought Torrealba could have brought some value vs. left handed hitters with Iannetta sliding to DH