• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels just traded Vernon Wells to NYY

Chuck

The New York Post's Joel Sherman suspects the Angels will need to eat $34MM and that, along with the no-trade clause, will require more time before a trade can be finalized (Twitter links).

That is in the neighborhood of what ESPN is reporting. Buster Olney says that the Yankees are asking the Angels to eat $17-19M per season of the $21M Wells is owed for that time. Olney also said that there is "a very strong possibility that this deal gets done."

Why aren't incentive deals included in trade deals?

Example: 

Wells hits .220 with 5 HR's in 2013 for NYY.  The Angels owe NYY $17-19 million of his salary.  

-or-

Wells hits .315 with 40 HR's.  Then the Yankees are responsible for, say, 75% of his salary for that year. 

This seems like a low-risk, high reward, arrangement for both teams. 

Exactly.

Exactly why I said people exaggerate how bad he is.  He is a much better player than Jeff Mathis,  

.222/.258/.409 line and was worth -0.3 WAR with us over 2 years. In what way is this not truly awful? For a corner outfielder, those are ridiculously bad numbers.

I like that some of our youth will get better and longer looks off the bench (Calhoun). If Yanks take on 5 mil per its a solid deal

I guess our bench now looks like this:

Conger/ Snyder

Romine/ Harris/ Rodriguez

Calhoun

Shuck/ Luis Jimenez

My ideal bench would be

Jimenez

Romine

Conger

Calhoun