• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most Overrated Former Angels

Taylor

Tori hunter. On the day he had five RBI. The runs he didn't drive in as an Angel stood out to me more than those he did drive in. As a third or fourth banana he is fine. But he did not perform when he was forced to be our main man. His 2112 second half was as good a half as any Angel ever had. But it was not how he played during his contract up to that point. That was a lineup that had Albert and. Trout in it along with a young Trumbo.

Even if you look past HR totals, he had very underwhelming numbers. He put up a sub .700 OPS throughout half of his career and a WAR above 3.0 only three times. I loved Erstad, but he's also overrated in my book.

I think GG is pretty much a joke but the dude won it at 3 different positions. That is simply insane. He led the league in hits. His total war was 28. Where is LTH? 

Adam Kennedy. Even with the 3 HR game in the ALCS, if the Angels lose game 6 of the 2002 World Series, the Edmonds for Kennedy / Bottenfield trade would be right up there with the Wells fiasco.

Obviously on paper we got raped in that deal (no argument). But as some have mentioned as far as bourjos in this thread, edmonds had a rep as an injured player, and not the most popular teammate. But more importantly, it was his walk year. So hit trade value wasnt exactly huge at that point.

I cannot even remotely see where you are coming from. Are you just looking at HR totals? I don't see how anyone who watched the Angels during that era could possibly say that. I don't see how he wouldn't crack anyone's top 10 list. 

Career 93 OPS+ is probably where he is coming from.  Over the course of his last 9 seasons (2001 on), his OPS+ was 82.   A noted defender, 10.3 of his 32.3 bWAR was earned on defense between 1999-2002..   That 10,3 is also his career dWAR.  Probably the poster boy for overrated Angels from a statistical standpoint.  

Nobody will ever be able to accurately measure the impact he had in the clubhouse but it speaks volumes that every single Angels player of any merit from that era loses his mind talking up what Erstad meant to the them and the team.

I cannot even remotely see where you are coming from. Are you just looking at HR totals? I don't see how anyone who watched the Angels during that era could possibly say that. I don't see how he wouldn't crack anyone's top 10 list. 

Top 10 Angel of all time? I think you just proved his point on Erstad being overrated.

David Eckstein. I LOVE the guy. Play the game in an inspiring way. Orlando Cabrera was much better. Just because he couldn't reach the pedals on the Corvette he won as WORLD SERIES MVP doesn't mean he was over rated. He was a gamer. Always did something right to help win a game. The types of things that help a player earn WORLD SERIES MVP honors. Orlando Cabrera belongs in the under rated angel thread that is a natural companion thread to this one. OC was robbed of golden glove while he was with the Angels. Eckstien is walking proof that you don't have to be a huge physical specimen to be successful in baseball like you almost have to be in NBA or NFL. Did I mention that eckstien was a WORLD SERIES MVP?

Honestly, which ex Angel do we really miss? I would say of this generation, say the last ten years, Napoli has had the most success. Would he have really been a difference maker? I guess the two I would like to have back are Vogelsong and the pitcher from Baltimore, Miguel Gonzalez I think that's his name. Sure Segura would be nice to have, but who knows if he will be any measurable upgrade over Aybar. Obviously I'm just looking at it from a player versus player stand point and not a dollar stand point. But over all especially when it comes to making a decision on our own in house free agents, I'm pretty happy we didn't keep most of them. The list of players that haven't performed after they left is a long list, the ones that have is a much shorter list.