• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels are aiming to turn data into W's

"Dipoto and Manager Mike Scioscia then approached Eckstein with the idea for this hybrid position."

Since this seems to be completely uncharted territory for the Angels, maybe someone would like to list all the other teams major league player information coach and coordinator of major league information. Just so we can see how many other teams have those positions in their clubhouse and in the dugout doing the same thing. Some of you seem to be experts in the A's organization so why don't you start there.

Pretty simple, Nate.

Someone posted the A's as an example like it was the perfect example of why to have these guys in place or use data.

Oakland didn't have the resources to sign the players most teams do yet they still have been very consistent every year.

Considering how the Angels have been dominated by mediocre and below average newbie pitchers year after year, this is a very positive change.  Scioscia and staff obviously were not very good at formulating a strategy based on the advanced scouting they got.

Oakland didn't have the resources to sign the players most teams do yet they still have been very consistent every year.

Considering how the Angels have been dominated by mediocre and below average newbie pitchers year after year, this is a very positive change. Scioscia and staff obviously were not very good at formulating a strategy based on the advanced scouting they got.

You're taking my point way out of context. I have no problem with data and analytics, I actually promote them and thought the team was already doing them in some capacity.

It was more in line with Blargs post and people using the A's as an example. If I'm going to support an idea or thought I am probably going to go with a more successful organization or realize that more successful organizations have won something significant instead of using a movie concept of doing more with less. I have no problems with data, just the crowd that act like it's the only important aspect to an organization.

I know they did some work with the defensive alignments during spring but not sure how much info they provided to the pitchers about opposing hitters. 

Then they jump to the season and in preparation they hand the hitters, pitchers and catchers as well as associated coaches a bunch of advanced scouting.  Sure they tried to break it down to a level that is workable, but when you've never had this info, the first go around could be overwhelming. 

Other than Trout being Trout, there was really nothing done right in that series.  Makes me wonder is there was some paralysis by analysis. 

I'd look at profitability first. If I had my fan hat on, I'd look at championships.

Championships are great but in a sport where the playoffs are largely a crap shoot it's unreasonable to call any team that doesn't win the WS a failure. Only one team wins the championship in every sport every year. 

To be clear, this story is not about teams using analytics for personnel decisions, which the A's semi-pioneered and every team (including the Angels) has done for at least the past 7-8 years.

This is about advance scouting and game planning and having people in the clubhouse every day who are familiar with the stats and how they can be applied. I know of no other teams that do it exactly this way.

Most do it the way the Angels used to, which is hand the coaches a big binder of data and let them do what they can with it.

No one said failure, you said successful.

I also disagree with it being a crapshoot. Sure you get a random Angels or Marlins WS, but I think one could make a case for those victories. People get caught up in the fact they are labeled a wild card team regardless of play and even in some cases, their record.