• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Coaching staff... to blame or not to blame

floplag

No I didn't forget about the failures of the last four years.

However the 2010 and 2011 teams were poorly constructed offensively. I blame the post season failures on the GM not on the coaching staff. 2013 was poorly constructed pitching wise. So place the failure were it belongs. The front office.

This year the primary reason why we have looked so bad is because of the bullpen. Just like the last four years...so again that maybe a front office issue..

However even if I am wrong and it is Scioscia fault it is still stupid to fire coaches after only three games. It shows a f r an chose in complete panic mode.

Did you forget about the failures of the last several years? I doubt anybody is saying what they say on the basis of 3 games.

No I didn't forget about the failures of the last four years.

However the 2010 and 2011 teams were poorly constructed offensively. I blame the post season failures on the GM not on the coaching staff. 2013 was poorly constructed pitching wise. So place the failure were it belongs. The front office.

This year the primary reason why we have looked so bad is because of the bullpen. Just like the last four years...so again that maybe a front office issue..

However even if I am wrong and it is Scioscia fault it is still stupid to fire coaches after only three games. It shows a f r an chose in complete panic mode.

You mean the failure to reach the postseason in 2010 and 2011?  The pitching in those years wasn't that bad compared to 2013.

My rationale for firing Scioscia (a long time ago) is how they get steamrolled by the AL West division rivals without putting up a fight.  Same thing as what happened with Seattle this week.  There's no good explanation for it. 

The reason the 2013 Angels finished 3rd with a 78-84 record can be explained rather easily: They went 9-10 against Houston, 8-11 against Oakland, and 4-15 against Texas.  You can't blame the front office for that. 

You mean the failure to reach the postseason in 2010 and 2011?  The pitching in those years wasn't that bad compared to 2013.

My rationale for firing Scioscia (a long time ago) is how they get steamrolled by the AL West division rivals without putting up a fight.  Same thing as what happened with Seattle this week.  There's no good explanation for it. 

The reason the 2013 Angels finished 3rd with a 78-84 record can be explained rather easily: They went 9-10 against Houston, 8-11 against Oakland, and 4-15 against Texas.  You can't blame the front office for that. 

You can't blame the front office for Blanton, and the rest of the crappy pitching that helped earn that horrible record?

I've been on the "fire Scioscia" bandwagon for a while now, but earlier in this thread, I basically stated I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if the team wins just six of the next 13 games against the likes of Houston (4 games), Seattle (3 games), the Mets (3 games), and the A's (3 games).

This is on top of the piss-poor play the team started the season with the last two years (especially).

The talent is there. You can't say that the players are collectively all on slumps the first month and a half of each season, that is statistically HIGHLY unlikely (to put it mildly). Just giving the team the eyeball test, they failed against the Mariners, much as they did in the first month or two the last couple of years. And their record against the other AL West opponents last year, many of whom they played early in the season, is telling.

You can't blame the front office for Blanton, and the rest of the crappy pitching that helped earn that horrible record?

Even Blanton has the skills to produce a better record against teams like Houston. 

Scioscia & Co. seem to act like AL West games are no big deal, when in reality that's what decides many division races.  There was never any urgency to get their act together in these games.  Most embarrassing was their 9-10 record against Houston -- when Oakland went 15-4 and Texas went 17-2 against them. 

That's another 7 or 8 easy wins the Angels should have had. 

You must have misread the post. I said 2010 and 2011 was poorly constructed offensively. When your best offensive power hitters were Hunter and Abreu as in 2010 or Bourjos and Trumbo in 2011 as rookies well you were poorly constructed. 2013 was pitching. Blanton and Hanson were the two worst starting pitchers in the game. The bull pen as usual was a disaster. Those failures fall on the gm.

Now you won't hear me defend Scioscia for the poor starts or even 2012 were his desire to platoon Abreu, Trumbo, Wells, Bourjos was a disaster.

Who or what to blame this year? It is way too early to identify who to blame. However if I had to place blame I would blame it on our bullpen....which again falls on the GM. However as I have been arguing it is silly to point fingers right now.

You mean the failure to reach the postseason in 2010 and 2011? The pitching in those years wasn't that bad compared to 2013.

My rationale for firing Scioscia (a long time ago) is how they get steamrolled by the AL West division rivals without putting up a fight. Same thing as what happened with Seattle this week. There's no good explanation for it.

The reason the 2013 Angels finished 3rd with a 78-84 record can be explained rather easily: They went 9-10 against Houston, 8-11 against Oakland, and 4-15 against Texas. You can't blame the front office for that.

You must have misread the post. I said 2010 and 2011 was poorly constructed offensively. When your best offensive power hitters were Hunter and Abreu as in 2010 or Bourjos and Trumbo in 2011 as rookies well you were poorly constructed. 2013 was pitching. Blanton and Hanson were the two worst starting pitchers in the game. The bull pen as usual was a disaster. Those failures fall on the gm.

Now you won't hear me defend Scioscia for the poor starts or even 2012 were his desire to platoon Abreu, Trumbo, Wells, Bourjos was a disaster.

Who or what to blame this year? It is way too early to identify who to blame. However if I had to place blame I would blame it on our bullpen....which again falls on the GM. However as I have been arguing it is silly to point fingers right now.

My bad, I misread your post.  Sorry about that.

Blanton being on the team is definitely Dipoto's fault.  But he wasn't pulled from the rotation until July when he was 2-13 with an ERA of 5.66.  Unless there's something we don't know about, wouldn't the responsibility for that rest squarely on Scioscia's shoulders?  Jepsen or Kohn in that role would have been a noticeable improvement and that's saying a lot.  I'm not sure it's fair to assign any blame for Hanson's performance.  There was no indication he would have performed so badly, plus he had family problems middle of the season.  

You said it's too early to point fingers but we're seeing the exact same problems boiling over from past seasons.  What if they get swept by Houston falling to 0-6?  Would it be too early to point fingers Sunday night?