• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Trivia for the day off

A little test I put together:

1. Which two of the following players did NOT hit four home runs in a single game?

Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Jimmie Foxx, Gil Hodges, Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, Josh Hamilton

2. Which three of these pitchers tossed no-hitters in both the AL and the NL?

Gaylord Perry, Jim Bunning, Roy Halladay, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, Hideo Nomo

3. There are five members of the Hall of Fame who at one time were Angels' broadcasters. Name three of them.

4. True or False: Babe Ruth struck out four times in a game at least once.

5. True or False: Ted Williams struck out three times in a game on only six occasions.

6. Which two Hall of Fame baseball pitchers also played basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters?

7. There are 5 pitchers that won the Cy Young Award in both leagues. Name three of them and their teams.

8. This player (post 1990) had game-winning hits in two deciding World Series games for two different teams. Who is he, and what were the teams?

9. Who is the only pitcher in baseball history to have perfect games ruined three different times in either the 8th or 9th innings?

Hint: He pitched for two teams in his career and retired as a Yankee.

10. Who are three pitchers since 1972 who had perfect games ruined with two outs in the 9th inning?

1. Which two of the following players did NOT hit four home runs in a single game?

Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Jimmie Foxx, Gil Hodges, Willie Mays, Mike Schmidt, Josh Hamilton

A: Ruth and Mays?

Gaylord Perry, Jim Bunning, Roy Halladay, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, Hideo Nomo

A: Perry, Halladay, Johnson(?)

3. There are five members of the Hall of Fame who at one time were Angels' broadcasters. Name three of them.

A: Joe Torre (I'm probably too young to know the rest)

A: True

5. True or False: Ted Williams struck out three times in a game on only six occasions.

A: True (I know he holds a ridiculous record like this, not sure if the number is six)

6. Which two Hall of Fame baseball pitchers also played basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters?

A: no idea

7. There are 5 pitchers that won the Cy Young Award in both leagues. Name three of them and their teams.

A: Halladay- Jays, Phillies

8. This player (post 1990) had game-winning hits in two deciding World Series games for two different teams. Who is he, and what were the teams?

A: no idea; Joe Carter(?)

9. Who is the only pitcher in baseball history to have perfect games ruined three different times in either the 8th or 9th innings?

A: I want to say Babe Ruth, but only because I can remember a story of him almost pitching a perfecto, only to be pulled from it.

Actually I think he put a runner on base, then got thrown out of the game, and the guy who releived him picked that runner off first and then retired 26 consecutive batters.

10. Who are three pitchers since 1972 who had perfect games ruined with two outs in the 9th inning?

A: That one guy on the Tigers who had a blown call (around 2006), and I think there was another guy since then.

I'll cherry pick this since It's late and I don't know them all.

1. Hodges, Mays and Hamilton did. I think Foxx and Gehrig did. So, to guess, I'd say Schmidt and Ruth.

2. Perry and Bunning. Nomo threw a no-no at Coors with the Dodgers and seems to me had threw another one with Boston.

3. Torre, Drysdale, hmmm....

8. Edgar Renteria with the Marlins and Giants.

10. Milt Pappas with Cubs in '72, the Tigers dude where Jim Joyce missed the call and didn't Matt Cain miss out on one a couple of years ago?

I'll cherry pick this since It's late and I don't know them all.

1. Hodges, Mays and Hamilton did. I think Foxx and Gehrig did. So, to guess, I'd say Schmidt and Ruth.

2. Perry and Bunning. Nomo threw a no-no at Coors with the Dodgers and seems to me had threw another one with Boston.

3. Torre, Drysdale, hmmm....

8. Edgar Renteria with the Marlins and Giants.

10. Milt Pappas with Cubs in '72, the Tigers dude where Jim Joyce missed the call and didn't Matt Cain miss out on one a couple of years ago?

1. Schmidt did hit four homers in a game. The other one who never did was Foxx. Ruth and Foxx.

2. Bunning is correct. Perry only had one no-hitter. Nomo is correct. Johnson is the third.

3. Yes, Torre and Drysdale.

8. Renteria, correct

10. Pappas is one of them, Gallaraga another. Cain had a no-hitter against the Angels broken up with two outs in the 8th inning by Chone Figgins.

Edited by fan_since79

A: True

A: True (I know he holds a ridiculous record like this, not sure if the number is six)

A: Halladay- Jays, Phillies

4. Babe Ruth never struck out four times in a game. He had three strikeouts in numerous games.

5. Ted Williams struck out three times in a game on only three occasions in his great career. 

7. Halladay is one of the five.

Edited by fan_since79

Mussina had three perfect games ruined, one in the 8th inning and two in the 9th.

Dave Stieb also had a perfect game ruined with two outs in the 9th, in 1989. The previous year he had two no-hitters ruined with two outs and two strikes in the 9th, in consecutive starts! Stieb did manage to finally pitch a no-hitter in 1990.

A little test I put together:

Babe Ruth,  Gil Hodges

Gaylord Perry, Jim Bunning,  Hideo Nomo

don drysdale, dick enberg, harmon killabrew

false

true

satchel paige and bob gibson

roy halladay (tor and philly), jim bunning (det and philly), and gaylord perry (san fran and minn)

you stumped me on this one, but once i see the answer i'll hit myself for not remembering

andy pettitte

nolan ryan, roy halladay, and that kid in detroit on the blown call at first (hernandez? rodriguez?)

Many of the questions are answered in various posts already.

The Globetrotters were Ferguson Jenkins and Bob Gibson.

Interesting. As a kid I saw those two match up at Wrigley field numerous times. Fergie was a character. He would show up at Wrigley in a Cadillac convertable with the full on pimp suits and fedora hats..hey it was the 60's. Both great pitchers and fond childhood memories.

3) Don Sutton, Sparky Anderson, Don Drysdale, Joe Torre,...did you mean in the HOF as players/managers?

Speaking of Don Sutton...back when I worked at SNA, I was at the ticket counter working a xled flight going back east.

We were busy re-booking passengers when this big family came up, when I looked at their tickets the names were Sutton and Decinces. It was Doug's and Don's families going back east to join the team for a few days.

I got them on a flight out of LAX 1st class, and a limo to take them there.

Couple weeks later Don showed up personally and asked for me by name...and he thanked me and handed me an envelope full of tickets. Thought that was so cool.