• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The way I'm choosing to look at things

I agree with you Homebrewer that the Mariners look to be much better than the past few years, but again it's based on two games.  This organization and team knows the importance of getting off to a good start, it's been hammered on them over and over.  I just hope they haven't put too much pressure on themselves over this issue.  The team we have seen the last two nights looks a lot tighter than the team that breezed through spring training.  Some of the guys outside of the bigger bats are really not responding at all, like Kendrick, Calhoun, Iannetta, Aybar, and Freese.  Pitching wise we have a weak group to start with, if they tighten up that could be a killer.  In my opinion, putting more pressure on this team at the moment is exactly the wrong thing to do, loosen up guys!

Almost nobody seems to remember how often Scioscia et al, talked about the importance of getting off to a decent start LAST season. It was talked about all through ST in 2013. This isn't something that just dawned on management this year, it has been an ongoing issue. If they had looked just a little bit better since the lights came on and it was for real, people wouldn't be as skeptical as they are right now. This doesn't look like a team that can turn it around on a dime, which is what they are faced with doing.

Again

I think it's a combination of how sloppy they look, and how sloppy they have been in April the past few years.

The pressure is there. These are big games. They have tiptoed into the water of the regular season for a few years, and they have missed the postseason for a few years, largely because of it.

One of my biggest concerns/complaints about Scioscia isn't his in game managing style, as much as it is his teams are not well prepared for big games. Look at his playoff record, it's absolutely abysmal.

As far as this year's Angel team, they (management FO) have made it very clear that these are big games, and getting of to a solid start is absolutely essential.

When players and managers like Scioscia (who is handsomely paid for his leadership, more $ than many players) can't thrive under some pressure, then it is time to find someone who can.

I will continue to look hard tonight, and in the following weeks, for signs that this team can accomplish the task set forth.....

Here's my thing HB, at what point do we blame the players and not Mike? I ask because they totally took a different approach in Spring than ever before. So far, if you want to call two games an indication, they are having similar results. I totally believe this it's way too early to assume the identity of this team.

Here's my thing HB, at what point do we blame the players and not Mike? I ask because they totally took a different approach in Spring than ever before. So far, if you want to call two games an indication, they are having similar results. I totally believe this it's way too early to assume the identity of this team.

They look flat and sloppy so far. Mentally, they don't look sharp. There is no disputing that. Although ST was supposedly different this year, spring training doesn't count...that whole month and a half is meant to lead up to when games do.

These players are good, it's a good team (bullpen not withstanding). But, if what Tomsred says is true and the pressure in April is already getting to them (which is really what it looks like) then it is a management/leadership issue.

If the pressure is getting to certain players then it's as much on those professional players than it is on Scioscia, at least in my opinion. Howie has been in the league long enough as has Ianetta and CJ and Weaver to not get the jitters.

These are sporting events with thousands of fans in the stands. A following that expects decent play from highly paid professionals.

The Mariners were just as nervous as the Angels, yet they were able to perform with those nerves.

That's the difference.

I will continue to harken back to Scioscia's playoff record. Those were teams that were good enough to win all season, but not in  "chips are all in" situations. At some point you have to consider that the players are not the big problem when it comes to winning high pressure games.

Like I said, I will be looking hard for any rays of hope.

Here's my thing HB, at what point do we blame the players and not Mike?

I think you're looking at it backwards, or at least in reverse.  The first instinct is always to blame the players - after all they're the ones out there on the field.

But over the years players have come and gone, and the one constant has been Scioscia.  There's been a seemingly consistent lack of focus among the players - look at Freese, brand new to the system, obviously not focused last night when he got picked off first.  There's something going on here with these guys not being "in the game", and it's bigger than just individual players not focusing.

I'm not happy.  Bottom line.  Our hitting looks the same, our pitching looks the same.

Right now I'll rest on the fact that it is only two games, but we need these games.  These are games we should be winning.

Yeah. Terrible stuff to start the year

I'm not happy.  Bottom line.  Our hitting looks the same, our pitching looks the same.

Right now I'll rest on the fact that it is only two games, but we need these games.  These are games we should be winning.

Agree with this. I think someone posted earlier that the Mariners and Astros make up something like 20% of our schedule. If we don't win the majority of games against bad teams, then we can kiss the playoffs goodbye because beating the Red Sox, Tigers, and Rangers sure as hell is never easy

I think you're looking at it backwards, or at least in reverse. The first instinct is always to blame the players - after all they're the ones out there on the field.

But over the years players have come and gone, and the one constant has been Scioscia. There's been a seemingly consistent lack of focus among the players - look at Freese, brand new to the system, obviously not focused last night when he got picked off first. There's something going on here with these guys not being "in the game", and it's bigger than just individual players not focusing.

Because Mike taught Freese to be not focused.... How bout it's as simple as too really shitty games to start. Mike and the players should share the blame. Freese is 100% at fault for getting picked off. Just like Howie is 100% at fault for his fielding error opening night. Scioscia is too blame for the constant base running gafs year after year, because they kept happening. Oh and when the team was the best in the league at going first to third, well Scioscia deserved the credit or at least some of it.

Two sure things, two losses. Three question marks in a row have to get us back near .500 or this could really start to snowball.

Here's the thing, Baseball is a game that plays with your expectations. Its one of the reasons that 90% of the game is half mental.

Let's try not to go too mental just yet...

Because Mike taught Freese to be not focused.... How bout it's as simple as too really shitty games to start. Mike and the players should share the blame. Freese is 100% at fault for getting picked off. Just like Howie is 100% at fault for his fielding error opening night. Scioscia is too blame for the constant base running gafs year after year, because they kept happening. Oh and when the team was the best in the league at going first to third, well Scioscia deserved the credit or at least some of it.

I'm curious - what type of stuff happening on the field would cause you to start pointing the finger at Sciosca/the coaches, if anything?

I'm curious - what type of stuff happening on the field would cause you to start pointing the finger at Sciosca/the coaches, if anything?

if Scioscia were to forget to wear pants in the dugout, that would certainly be of some concern. Leaving a trail of small poops behind him would further damage his credentials, imo.

Oh and when the team was the best in the league at going first to third, well Scioscia deserved the credit or at least some of it.

How long ago was that, Strad?

Been a while...

I already said poor base running is one example. I refuse to place blame on any one person for two loses to start a season, when there are plenty of people you can blame for the first two games. I believe that the team should have made wholesale changes in the offseason, and I actually think I said it would absolutely happen, but it didn't. I will let more than a couple games be played before I consider this anything other than a real shitty two games.

Oh and when the team was the best in the league at going first to third, well Scioscia deserved the credit or at least some of it.

How long ago was that, Strad?

Been a while...

Yes it has been awhile. We have an entirely different type of team now days. I miss those kinds of teams.

Early observations:

Scioscia remains king of the bland and boring post gamers.  Some things never change.  What he does behind closed doors is, hopefully, a bit more inspiring.  Pros shouldn't need inspiration?  Perhaps.

This Freese fellow looks as casual as they come, GA wannabe?

Pujols looks very similar to last year in the box.  I fear the expectations for him will need to be dialed down. 

Hamilton, OTOH, looks good in the box...but hasn't seen a LHP yet.

Early, sure, but painfully reminiscent of the last couple years. 

I agree it is early, and I also agree that the Angels look the same. I said it last year and will continue saying it, Scioscia has over stayed his effectiveness. The Mariners are doing the fundamentals required to be in a position to win. They appear to be willing to do the small things not seen in the box score, unlike the Angels. I would be shocked if McClendon would continue to send rout a DH that can't even make consistent contact. This opening series clearly exposes that player expectations are different between the Mariners and the Angels.

Sad, really.