• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Very impressed with Freese

nate

Don't tell me you're talking about Lucho... You do remember the last time he was called up. He clearly wasn't ready. To say he's clearly better than Freese is laughable.

There are two sides of the ball. Lucho's glove alone had him on pace for a 2 WAR year last year. If he hits just .240-.250 he's a 3-4 WAR player.

I don't understand why people don't care about run prevention. It's just as valuable as creating runs is. Not to mention Freese's off the field issues, but that's been discussed at length. Giving up Bourjos and Grichuk for a guy who may or may be an upgrade was a stupid mistake.

I dislike the Freese trade as much as anyone, but if Jimenez ever puts up a 3-4 WAR season I'll eat my hat.

Is you hat one of those cakes that looks like a hat?  If so, I'll help you eat it, if the situation arises.

There are two sides of the ball. Lucho's glove alone had him on pace for a 2 WAR year last year. If he hits just .240-.250 he's a 3-4 WAR player.

I don't understand why people don't care about run prevention. It's just as valuable as creating runs is. Not to mention Freese's off the field issues, but that's been discussed at length. Giving up Bourjos and Grichuk for a guy who may or may be an upgrade was a stupid mistake.

It's absurd to look at 247 innings worth of defensive stats for Jimenez in 2013 and project out 2 WAR for a full season.  Defensive WAR for a single year isn't that reliable--and you're wanting to look at less than 20% of a full year to hype up his value.  No thanks.

This was the one move I disliked this offseason. Such a worthless trade. I was fine with them dealing Bourjos, but if Freese was the best they could do, might as well have just held onto Bourjos

I am still being waiting judgment on the trade.  I hope it turns out for the best.

He is a disaster. Horrible in spring and now the first two games.

Meanwhile Lucho is somewhere in Salt Lake rotting away. I thought when a homegrown player easily capable of putting up a 3-4 WAR season is ready you're supposed to give him the job. Guess not.

I remember when people said Brandon Wood was rotting away at SLC.  Good times.

Alfredo has some responsibility here to make sure he stays close to the bag. It's not all on Freese.

Tuesday night, with the Angels trailing by three runs and rallying in the eighth, David Freese got picked off first base by Seattle reliever Joe Beimel to end the inning.

“We know Beimel has a good move, and Alfredo told David he has a good move,” Manager Mike Scioscia said, referring to first-base coach Alfredo Griffin. “He showed him his A move and picked him off. That wasn’t the play we’re looking for there.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-hit-panic-button-20140401,0,2895098.story#ixzz2xkVANlah

sounds like it's pretty much all on Freese.

Alfredo Griffin Warning David Freese About Joe Beimel's Pickoff Move: A Play In One Act

Alfredo: Okay David listen here, this guy has a really good pickoff move, so be careful

David: Yeah yeah, I got it. Don't worry, boss.

*Joe Beimel throws to first base*

*Justin Smoak tags David Freese*

*Umpire calls David Freese out*

David: Oh, so what was that you were saying about his pickoff move?

Alfredo: ....just forget it.

FIN

I have friends in St. Louis.  When I complained about the Angels' lack of a 3rd baseman last year, they offered up Freese in a New York minute.  We talked about him and it was a consensus in St Louis (according to my friends) that his playoff heroism was a total fluke....and the substance issues came up.  So I have had a bad attitude about Freese from the beginning of the trade.

The Angels will give him 100 ABs and think seriously about activating Green.  I hope he is working on his 3B skills.

I have friends in St. Louis.  When I complained about the Angels' lack of a 3rd baseman last year, they offered up Freese in a New York minute.  We talked about him and it was a consensus in St Louis (according to my friends) that his playoff heroism was a total fluke....and the substance issues came up.  So I have had a bad attitude about Freese from the beginning of the trade.

The Angels will give him 100 ABs and think seriously about activating Green.  I hope he is working on his 3B skills.

oh I think he'll get way more than 100 ABs.  Since when has Scioscia ever had a short leash on a non-rookie?

Yeah -- I'm willing to give him 100 or so at bats.  I have low expectations, I just want his OBP to carry over but his glove looks even worse than I thought it was -- and I thought he was a bad defender. 

ughhh that quote still makes me cringe

I'm sure it was a fluff comment to play up to the fan-base and set up newspaper story lines but, yeah...   I actually can't fault him, I think a GM has to be a part salesman and carnival barker.  I don't buy for a second that he thinks along those lines but, he has to do everything he can to try to get people excited about players.

Then again, they are hitting him 5th.