• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Bullpen

Brian Moran (elbow) has not progressed to throwing off a mound.
Moran, a Rule 5 pick, was placed on the disabled list at the end of spring training with left elbow inflammation. The 25-year-old left-hander has resumed throwing, but isn't ready for mound-work quite yet. The Angels will keep him stashed on the DL for now. Apr 1 - 11:22 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/7683

Once he gets healthy, he's pretty much a lock to make this bullpen at this point.

I think we are going to see a merry-go-round of who slots in where for at least the first couple of months.  

the 2010-2013 pen was filled with guys that just lacked upside.  They weren't really capable of having those reliever seasons where you get a sub 3 era for a couple of seasons.  This years group has several guys who are actually capable of that yet there is going to be some trial and error as to who that will be.  

Jepsen, Kohn, Maronde and Salas have gotten the first crack at it.  A couple of these guys more so out of necessity due to injury.  But I think we will see a much shorter leash on these guys than in past years because there are actually others that can take their spot and have a nice season.  

Assuming Frieri and Smith are at the top, the other pen roles are going to take some time to establish because the rest are pretty redundant on paper yet any one of them could step up.  Jep got first crack.  People viewed putting him in vs. a slew of lefties as an MS mistake.  Granted, it was a disaster, but it was also a test.  I think it was extremely purposeful.  His new arm angle was supposed to make him more effective vs. lefties.  He got his shot at it and it was clearly a bad outcome.  I think DDLR is going to get the 'down by a run or tied in the 7th' role when he comes back and we won't be seeing jep vs. lefties much more.  

Maronde was more out of necessity.  The problem is going to be getting Moran or Burnett back any time soon.  

Again, this isn't going to be something that works itself out over the next couple of months, but the next few games.  At least that's my hope.  

Better to find out now that Jep and Maronde can't cut it.  MS needs to know who he can trust.  

Salas wasn't that bad last night. He inherited a runner at third with one out. Most of the time, that runner gets home no matter what.

Kohn actually looked good.

Jeppy....should have been in Salt Lake.

Jepsen and Kohn looked like the same guy -- high heat, lots of movement causing guys to swing and miss but both were leaving pitches up in the zone.   At least with Kohn there might still be the expectation that it will click for him.  Jepsen seems like the eternal tease.

They both frustrate me because you can see why the team doesn't want to punt on them but as Jeppy proved again last night, they are prone to those SMH moments.

Jepsen and Kohn looked like the same guy -- high heat, lots of movement causing guys to swing and miss but both were leaving pitches up in the zone.   At least with Kohn there might still be the expectation that it will click for him.  Jepsen seems like the eternal tease.

They both frustrate me because you can see why the team doesn't want to punt on them but as Jeppy proved again last night, they are prone to those SMH moments.

to me, they are both a critical 3 run hr waiting to happen.  Jep did exactly what we expected.  Even when they do well, I just don't trust that next time out they won't go back to giving up a huge couple of runs.  Kohn, though, has way more upside at this point but has a long way to go before there is trust.  

I think we'll be seeing Rasmus and Lyon sooner than later.  

to me, they are both a critical 3 run hr waiting to happen.  Jep did exactly what we expected.  Even when they do well, I just don't trust that next time out they won't go back to giving up a huge couple of runs.  Kohn, though, has way more upside at this point but has a long way to go before there is trust.  

I think we'll be seeing Rasmus and Lyon sooner than later.  

Yep, there will always be that uneasiness, Kohn still has time to prove he's not Jeppy V2, but the similarities are there.   And while I agree with you on Rasmus, he is a flatter FB with less control.

IMO, these guys may all be place-holders for Alvarez and Morin.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Rasmus is a flatter FB with less control.

agreed.  I am not overly confident in him either but I think he will get his shot as well.  And then on to the young guys like Morin, Alvarez, and Bedrosian.  By the middle of May, the bottom 4/5 of the pen will be totally different.  

Salas wasn't that bad last night. He inherited a runner at third with one out. Most of the time, that runner gets home no matter what.

Kohn actually looked good.

Jeppy....should have been in Salt Lake someone else's minor league system.

Fixed.

This is still no excuse for the two previous batter that he f'n walked. Guess they cant hit out if you don't throw em strikes.

He was throwing strikes and struck out the previous two batters. 

Look, I understand the frustration of Kevin Jepsen. He has good stuff, but a lot of the times he doesn't know where it's going. His control is inconsistent. I also understand why they're giving him another shot. 

It was one game. Let's see if he can rebound. 

I think we are going to see a merry-go-round of who slots in where for at least the first couple of months.  

the 2010-2013 pen was filled with guys that just lacked upside.  They weren't really capable of having those reliever seasons where you get a sub 3 era for a couple of seasons.  This years group has several guys who are actually capable of that yet there is going to be some trial and error as to who that will be.  

Jepsen, Kohn, Maronde and Salas have gotten the first crack at it.  A couple of these guys more so out of necessity due to injury.  But I think we will see a much shorter leash on these guys than in past years because there are actually others that can take their spot and have a nice season.  

Assuming Frieri and Smith are at the top, the other pen roles are going to take some time to establish because the rest are pretty redundant on paper yet any one of them could step up.  Jep got first crack.  People viewed putting him in vs. a slew of lefties as an MS mistake.  Granted, it was a disaster, but it was also a test.  I think it was extremely purposeful.  His new arm angle was supposed to make him more effective vs. lefties.  He got his shot at it and it was clearly a bad outcome.  I think DDLR is going to get the 'down by a run or tied in the 7th' role when he comes back and we won't be seeing jep vs. lefties much more.  

Maronde was more out of necessity.  The problem is going to be getting Moran or Burnett back any time soon.  

Again, this isn't going to be something that works itself out over the next couple of months, but the next few games.  At least that's my hope.  

Better to find out now that Jep and Maronde can't cut it.  MS needs to know who he can trust.  

If Jepsen stays with the team (well, who am I kidding, he's not going anywhere), I could see him having some success as kind of a ROOGY. He might be better served facing righties only.

He was throwing strikes and struck out the previous two batters. 

Look, I understand the frustration of Kevin Jepsen. He has good stuff, but a lot of the times he doesn't know where it's going. His control is inconsistent. I also understand why they're giving him another shot. 

It was one game. Let's see if he can rebound. 

Chuck, I understand that it is early in the season and these guys are professionals.

But Kevin Jepsen in 242 career games has a 4.53 ERA and 1.47 WHIP. To me, it's clear he should have been cut loose at the end of last year. I was really surprised and pissed they brought him back

Was it YoT who said Jepsen was "league average"?

lol @ that statement. He is well below league average. Why he is not only on the roster, but the longest tenured Angel is absolutely baffling to me. He is an awful major league pitcher and it sickens me that he has gotten so many chances with the team while there are dozens of guys in the minors who could put up the same numbers he has. He is unquestionably my most disliked Angels player. I really can't stand when he is on the mound.

• 5 months later...

Was it YoT who said Jepsen was "league average"?

lol @ that statement. He is well below league average. Why he is not only on the roster, but the longest tenured Angel is absolutely baffling to me. He is an awful major league pitcher and it sickens me that he has gotten so many chances with the team while there are dozens of guys in the minors who could put up the same numbers he has. He is unquestionably my most disliked Angels player. I really can't stand when he is on the mound.

I agree