• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Weave upset

ABC

Weaver didn't lose last night's game.  Scioscia did.  It is early in the season and starting pitchers like Weaver should not be expected to go as many innings as later in the year.  Of course, stubborn Scioscia was oblivious to Weaver tiring in the 6th inning and should have pulled him after that second walk.  But no, Scioscia didn't care if Weaver was tired and left him in so Seattle could tie the game.  My gosh, a lead against Hernandez was huge and should have been protected at all costs.  But no, Scioscia didn't care if Weaver had tired.  Then instead of pulling him at the end of the inning after great defense saved a run, Scioscia throws an obviously tired Weaver back out so Seattle could take the lead before bringing in the bullpen.  I can't remember worse Manager decisions but then last year is a long time in the past.

Also, the Angels seem to make two bad acquisitions every year.  Two years ago it was Burnett and Madsen.  Last year it was Hamilton and Blanton.  This year is would appear to be Freese and the DH, Ibanez.  It makes me sick ...

p.s.  Did the injury to Don Baylor remind you of another early injury in the past which seemed to jinx a season?  (Mo Vaughn)

Edited by avejoe1

Weaver didn't lose last night's game.  Scioscia did.  It is early in the season and starting pitchers like Weaver should not be expected to go as many innings as later in the year.  Of course, stubborn Scioscia was oblivious to Weaver tiring in the 6th inning and should have pulled him after that second walk.  But no, Scioscia didn't care if Weaver was tired and left him in so Seattle could tie the game.  My gosh, a lead against Hernandez was huge and should have been protected at all costs.  But no, Scioscia didn't care if Weaver had tired.  Then instead of pulling him at the end of the inning after great defense saved a run, Scioscia throws an obviously tired Weaver back out so Seattle could take the lead before bringing in the bullpen.  I can't remember worse Manager decisions but then last year is a long time in the past.

Also, the Angels seem to make two bad acquisitions every year.  Two years ago it was Burnett and Madsen.  Last year it was Hamilton and Blanton.  This year is would appear to be Freese and the DH, Ibanez.  It makes me sick ...

p.s.  Did the injury to Don Baylor remind you of another early injury in the past which seemed to jinx a season?  (Mo Vaughn)

Oh please. I can't stand scioscia, but even I don't think it was his fault for leaving him in too long.

Weaver is the proven ace of this staff and you need your ace to go deep into games, especially with this questionable pen.

Lets not forget that this pen will probably have to work hard all year long when you consider richards, skaggs and santiago have never pitched the normal workload of a MLB starter.

Weaver needs to be the workhorse.

Edited by Poozy

It was one game, and a lot of the scoring had to do with one of the worst strike zones I've seen in a long time.

It was an almost entirely lefty lineup against Weaver.

Given all that, he didn't pitch badly.

You all should really move on. You have lefties starting the next 2 nights against a lineup with pretty much zero RHB. Should be a good couple of nights for the Halos.

I hate it when you guys make me agree with cezero.... :) Edited by ettin

But no, Scioscia didn't care if Weaver was tired and left him in so Seattle could tie the game.  My gosh, a lead against Hernandez was huge and should have been protected at all costs.

I think that is exactly why he left Weaver in the game.

I mean I get it, Weaver was obviously out of gas. But I really don't like the team's chances of holding a 1 run lead with this bullpen across 3 innings. If Salas had started the inning and given up the lead, we all know what people would be saying.

I don't think Scioscia left Weaver in too long at all. I agree, he is the best option on the mound and the one I felt most comfortable with.

I had no problem bringing in Salas. That run scores more often than not. My problem lies only with bringing in Jepsen. The guy took any air that was left out and made the game go from winnable to unwinnable. I hate the notion that only our best pitchers pitch when we are leading. And if Scioscia wanted to use one of the scrubs, why use the one that gets obliterated by lefties in a left heavy lineup? Jepsen never should have pitched to Smoak. Absolutely no reason for that. If anything, bring in Smith for one out to at least give yourself a chance to win. 

So in 2.2 innings this pen gave up 5 hits, 5 walks, 5 earned runs (6 total) and allowed another inherited runner to score and people are arguing we should have started using it sooner?

Yeah, I could understand the argument at least if this pen had a healthy Burnett and DDLR, still not sure if I would agree with it, but I could get it.

But when the alternative to trying to squeak another inning out of Weaver is trying to bridge the gap between him and Smith/Frieri with some mix of Salas, Kohn, Jepsen, and Maronde?

I really can't fault the decision there.

Edited by jshep

What?  He didn't lose the game.  He gave up three runs (with help from Salas).  That's a ND. 

He gave up 4 (with help from Salad) and got the loss

My bad, sorry HM.

No need to apologize, you were correct.

Weaver was charged with 3 earned runs due to the first run that scored was unearned. And yes, Salas brought in the last of Weaver's 3 earned runs.

It's beyond amazing to me that anyone could say that a pitcher who went over six innings while giving up 3 earned runs on the first day of the season had a poor performance. 

3 ER in 6.1 IP for the ace of the staff isn't exactly great.

I mean it's not TERRIBLE, but that's still an ERA over 4.

I agree, it's not great, and I surely didn't say it was. I just said it wasn't a bad start.

When your SP goes out and gives you a QS, I think that is a great position to work from. Everybody needs to do their job, and I think that is what Weaver was saying. I have no problem with what or how he said what he said.