• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I like this team

Michifan

Bit of a puff piece topic, I know, but I do like this team. I'm cautiously optimistic, but there's no one on the team that really bugs me. Some are better than others, there's potential for some real greatness, and there's certainly the possibility of another bust. But, Blanton's gone, Wells is gone, there are no real cancers on the team. I like it. Here's to a fun season of watching (at least what I can do of that in Michigan) and hopefully some success. 

if we start the season winning a bunch of 9 to 6 games when the number 3 to 5 rotation guys are pitching and our pen can hold the opposition from the 7th inning on -- then I think the shift to an offensive based AL style baseball will be working.

but I still am concerned about our pitching depth -- rotation and pen.

If Shuck is not back by June 1 he will likely be traded for some pen pitching depth.........

at this point, I think one more call up and Shuck is out of options.........

I was surprised that Cowgill got the call over Shuck but I think DiPoto heard his inner voice saying:

"What we need is more Cowgills"

so here we are.

unlike others here, I don't think Cowgill over Shuck for the 25 was a bad call........but now Cowgill needs to produce......Cowgill played fairly well for us last year when he came over in August/ September........we got him from the Mets organization, I think........I remember thinking last year, this guy is playing better for us that I thought a Mets reject would.....

If Shuck is not back by June 1 he will likely be traded for some pen pitching depth.........

at this point, I think one more call up and Shuck is out of options.........

I was surprised that Cowgill got the call over Shuck but I think DiPoto heard his inner voice saying:

"What we need is more Cowgills"

so here we are.

unlike others here, I don't think Cowgill over Shuck for the 25 was a bad call........but now Cowgill needs to produce......Cowgill played fairly well for us last year when he came over in August/ September........we got him from the Mets organization, I think........I remember thinking last year, this guy is playing better for us that I thought a Mets reject would.....

Assignment to a minor league team[edit]

Options[edit]

A common misconception, based on the phrase, "out of options," is that a player may only be moved between the major and minor leagues a restricted number of times. On the contrary, a player has a finite number of option years in which he may be moved between the major and minor leagues an unlimited number of times. If a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the active major league roster, he is said to be on optional assignment—his organization may freely move him between the major league club and the minor league club. The rules for this are as follows. (In all cases, an assignment of a player on a major-league disabled list to the minors while on a rehabilitation assignment does not count as time spent in the minors.)

Once a player has been placed on a team's 40-man roster, a team has 3 option years on that player.

A player is considered to have used one of those three option years when he spends at least 20 days in the minors in any of those 3 seasons.

A team may have a fourth option year on a player with less than five full seasons of professional experience, provided that both conditions are met below.

A player has not spent at least 90 days on an active professional roster in a season. Minor leagues that play below Class A Advanced have seasons that are shorter than 90 days, and as such, any player who spends a full season in a rookie or Class A (short-season) league will receive a fourth option year.

A player has not spent at least 60 days on an active professional roster AND then at least 30 days on a disabled list in a season. Only after 60 days have been spent on an active professional roster does time spent on the disabled list count towards the 90-day threshold. As with the prior example, this cannot occur with players who spend a full season in a rookie or Class A (short season) league.

Once all of the options have been used up on a player, a player is considered "out of options" and a player must be placed on and clear waivers prior to being sent down to the minor leagues (there is also the "veterans' consent" rule; see below).

hey, thanks for posting that rule -- clearly there is a misconception there by many (including me).

I think part of the misconception is/ was caused by the possible revision of the rule in one of the recent MLBPA contracts because at one time I am almost certain there was a limited number of options (not by years necessarily) of moving a player back and forth.........this explains it.

keep that explanation handy -- we all will need to see it from time to time.

thanks.