• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Network Roundtable Discussion

Tyler

didn't see it.......I do like and always have like Harold Reynolds take of stuff going back to his ESPN days........

not sure what really happened there (read the press reports at the time and it seemed as if there was more to the story).

ESPN's loss has been MLBTV's gain.

Speeding up the game would be a great thing for current fans, and also get more fans to watch. 

The pace of most games is tedious.  

Even tennis put in rules severely limiting time between serves because matches were getting so drawn out, and it was nothing compared to the little broadway show that goes on between each pitch in a MLB at bat.

I don't see why we couldn't limit the number of timeouts a team is allowed in any given game, and also institute an NFL-style play clock that is strictly adhered to. Maybe some thing like five timeouts, plus two non-pitching-change mound visits per game, and then a 15 second play clock that starts whenever the ball gets back to a pitcher after a play or pitch.

Millions of people through the turnstyles, and miliions more watching on TV.

Why mess with it?

When I'm attending a game, I rarely, if ever, notice if the pace is slow.

It is only noticeable to me on TV. You know what I do? Chamge the channel.

Part of baseball is the mental games that pitchers and batters play. Stepping out during a tense moment for the pitcher, staring in at home plate and shaking off signs to mess with the hitters rhythm.

Vistits to the mound for the sole purpous of giving the batter a few more things to think about.

Baseball is just as much mental games as it is physical and that I what makes it great, interesting and better than the other sports.

Does it slow the game down? sure. Can you take that away? No.

I watched a game from the 70's last year and Fidrych was pitching. The pace of the game on both sides was awesome. Batters stayed in the box. Pitchers caught the ball, got the sign and then pitched. It was refreshing.

Games moved a lot quicker back then. Kept your interest better.

Changing the strike zone back to the old letters to the knees would speed up the game. Fewer pitches taken will speed up the game.

Back in the 70s there were way fewer pitching changes. Starters finished a large number of games. The umpires had a larger strike zone. Batters didn't step out after every pitch. There are many ways to speed up the game that have already been part of the game. No new rules are needed.

Part of baseball is the mental games that pitchers and batters play. Stepping out during a tense moment for the pitcher, staring in at home plate and shaking off signs to mess with the hitters rhythm.

Vistits to the mound for the sole purpous of giving the batter a few more things to think about.

Baseball is just as much mental games as it is physical and that I what makes it great, interesting and better than the other sports.

Does it slow the game down? sure. Can you take that away? No.

How about the mental strength to be able to work through jams without pep talks, how about putting in the work before a game to know the game plan for a hitter or situation without a pow-wow on the mound, how about the athletic ability to throw more than a pitch every two minutes, how about showing mental toughness over the opposing player to stay more focused than the other within a shorter timeframe, how about working through your nerves in tight game moments? etc etc. —That's exciting.

Pulling the plug and walking off the mound because the build up is too much for the pitcher, catcher or manager lets all of the air out of the balloon. You're in the middle of the game, so face the music and try to out-duel your competitor in the moment for our entertainment.

Edited by CF8

I don't see why we couldn't limit the number of timeouts a team is allowed in any given game, and also institute an NFL-style play clock that is strictly adhered to. Maybe some thing like five timeouts, plus two non-pitching-change mound visits per game, and then a 15 second play clock that starts whenever the ball gets back to a pitcher after a play or pitch.

This!

I've been advocating limiting timeouts for years. I'd love to see them limit it to 9 per game, +1 per extra inning. This would count mound visits and pitching changes, excluding injuries. 

I've seen enough of every baserunner calling timeout to dust off his pants or hand off his shoulder armor.

And while we are at it, how about we stop calling timeout after every ball hits the dirt in order to swap out baseballs...

pace of the game (when you are at the game and not watching on TV -- at home on TV it's very noticeable but then most folks are going a lot of other things with the game on the TV) when you are AT the game, to me, not that noticeable (unless there's five pitching changes and pitchers who can't throw strikes pitching) UNTIL it's about the 7th inning and you realize that your are about 2 hours into the game with another two plus innings to go and your post-game plans/ reservations etc. are in jeopardy -- that's when the games get long -- and it's usually not the night games but the day games where folks do have post game plans........

anyway, that's my take.