• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

No teams linked to Blanton?

seriously, what incentive is there for Blanton to pitch this year at all??

It's not as if he's going to resurrect his career and get a big pay day again.

It's likely he won't see another MLB contract again.

So, his choices now are:

1.) Get paid $8.5 million this year to play for some team that has to pay the MLB minimum portion of my salary -- do all the travel -- get hit hard -- put up with fans dissing me (especially if he appears back in Anaheim) and then be rewarded for playing a full season (even as a mop up guy) with not being offered a contract for 2015.

2.) Get paid $8.5 million, spend my time investigating various (safe) investment strategies, stay home with family, have very little -- if any -- travel and enjoy my contract -- realizing all the while that my (very limited) chance of being offered a contract in 2015 is about the same if I sit home as if I played this year -- actually my chances may be better if I sit home because : 1.) I won't get hit hard and have recent film of my ineffectiveness available to any and all scouts  and 2.) some folks might forget my 2013 performances.........at least they will be a year removed.

To me, the answer is simple.

In another , different context, with a younger pitcher who was once a rising star type -- and who's ineffectiveness forced him out of MLB for a spell -- anyone notice that today's LA Times lists SCOTT KAZMIR as the A's second rotation guy (in the depleted by injuries A's rotation)?

Some of us thought Kazmir would not be making a return to MLB because of a seemingly lack of desire to pitch...........oh well.

Here's an interesting tax question, and I don't know the answer. Currently, most states tax a players like out of state professionals and tax them for the income they earn while working in their state. And the state in which they reside also taxes them. But, they can deduct the taxes they pay to other states. For example, an Angels player would pay NY taxes for the games played against the Yankees.

What happens to someone like Blanton? He's being paid in CA, but not working in any other state, so CA could claim that all the money was earned here (assuming he doesn't pitch for another team in another state). And, his home state could claim that he earned all of his money within that state because he never worked out of state. It's in interesting tax issue (because our tax code is way too complicated and should be made way more simple).

Anyone have an answer on this?

If he wants to ever earn real money as a pitcher again, he'll accept a minor league assignment very soon.  

I don't think any teams out there are so hard up that they'd add a liability like him to their 25 or 40 man rosters.  

Agree, His only chance is to accept a minor league assignment.

In another , different context, with a younger pitcher who was once a rising star type -- and who's ineffectiveness forced him out of MLB for a spell -- anyone notice that today's LA Times lists SCOTT KAZMIR as the A's second rotation guy (in the depleted by injuries A's rotation)?

Some of us thought Kazmir would not be making a return to MLB because of a seemingly lack of desire to pitch...........oh well.

I thought for sure he was washed up. Hard to believe that he was able to come back after the way he pitched for us.

Haven't heard a peep since he was let go.  Since he was given his unconditional release, any team can pick him up immediately, right?  I figured SOMEONE would give him a shot, since they only have to pay league minimum.

Teams aren't stupid. He has nothing left, and that has been proven repeatedly.

Here's an interesting tax question, and I don't know the answer. Currently, most states tax a players like out of state professionals and tax them for the income they earn while working in their state. And the state in which they reside also taxes them. But, they can deduct the taxes they pay to other states. For example, an Angels player would pay NY taxes for the games played against the Yankees.

What happens to someone like Blanton? He's being paid in CA, but not working in any other state, so CA could claim that all the money was earned here (assuming he doesn't pitch for another team in another state). And, his home state could claim that he earned all of his money within that state because he never worked out of state. It's in interesting tax issue (because our tax code is way too complicated and should be made way more simple).

Anyone have an answer on this?

If only you had asked Mike Trout this question when you had the chance?

good tax question.

very interesting.

think California taxing authorities will take the position that Bruce Nye sets forth above -- 100% of it California income,

but if Blanton's home state is elsewhere (and likely it is, these guys are pretty smart when it comes to this stuff, that's why many of them have 'permanent' residences in places like Nevada, Texas, Florida and Arizona), I think he could probably take issue with California's characterization of his income and possibly could win that argument.

excellent question.

Dave, California will tax him as though 100% of his income was earned here.  If he pays tax in another state, he would get a tax credit for that tax paid. 

Bruce,

That's what I was thinking. So, for those who are down on Blanton, here's an upside to no team signing him: It maximizes his CA taxes, thereby helping our state and hurting his income (because he would have played lower taxes as he played in other states or if he lived in another state). Just trying to turn some lemons into lemonade!