• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: In a rough cut, Shuck is sent to Minors

That sucks. I'd say that JB proved himself last year. Good defender, smart baseball player, solid on base guy with good situational skills. Seems like a good fourth outfielder/NL game pinch hitter.

Edited by Don Tomlinson

I hate to say it but think that a lot of Shuck's value last year was from a pretty empty batting average. He is probably more likely to hit .260-.270ish this year which, with no power or walks, only decent speed and poor defense, makes him a sub-par 4th OF. Both Cowgill and Long have a bit more upside.

Still, this is surprising considering Scioscia's love of the scrappy types.

Ibanez hit like he was headed for the minors.

Yeah, he worries me.  With his awful second half last year, weak spring training, and the fact that he'll be 42 in June, he could be a total non-factor.  Hopefully, Cron or Green will be ready to step in if that's the case (though I'm still a little cautious about Cron).

It was the right move. Shuck has use as a LH pinch hitter or pinch runner, but he's limited in that there isn't any power there and he's an inconsistent left fielder that can't play RF or CF.

Cowgill can play every OF spot, pinch run and has some pop. He fits the team's needs right now.

Yeah, he worries me. With his awful second half last year, weak spring training, and the fact that he'll be 42 in June, he could be a total non-factor. Hopefully, Cron or Green will be ready to step in if that's the case (though I'm still a little cautious about Cron).

I think Green would for sure be ready. His bat wil play up at the major league level right now. Cron's ceiling is more rewarding and fitting of a DH, and while I believe he'll reach that ceiling, there is no denying that he could use more time in the minors to refine some things right now.

Worst case scenario his numbers are super inflated in SLC and he's dealt with a high value, though I don't see that coming.

Cowgill will be the only right handed hitter off the bench and can play all three outfield positions. He's also a very good defender. So I understand why he got the bench spot. That's all it is. A bench spot

Yep.

People are acting like he's a starter or something.

You want Green, Long to get regular at bats in AAA. If an injury happens Long or Green will be up and get regular at bats with the Angels, not Cowfill.

This makes sense. I thought that Green would open the season with the Angels, but I still think he's going to be called up midseason.

The infield in SLC however seems set, with Jimenez at third, Lindsey at second, so does that mean Green is the SS? Or will he rotate with those guys and Tommy Field? Green did play a lot of SS in spring training. Who's the DH?

Certainly it benefits Green to play the field most days, even if his most likely path to playing time in the majors may be as the DH which I've talked about before. Considering of course a sort of platoon there with Pujols, Hamilton and Freese all getting DH AB's.

Shuck had an okay season but Cowgill is a better choice as a reserve. If there is an injury to an OF or to the DH, we could see Shuck called up, otherwise I think he spends the majority of the year in AAA. And playing everyday there and killing the ball will help his trade value. Even if they just move him to an OF needy team for an unproven BP guy. Consider that Romine brought them a decent 6th starter candidate... If there's need, then I can see him moved.