• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and Trout Agree - 6 yrs/140 Mil

Being over the threshold by a little, for one year, isn't a big deal, either.   Compare a 17.5% tax on $10 million to what they wasted on Joe Blanton.  You'd have to go over for three years by about $10 million to equal what Blanton is getting this year.  

I wonder how much of a hometown discount this is? I have to imagine that Trout and his agent knew they could have easily demanded 5/125 and hit FA a year earlier.

The value of WAR isn't linear so it's difficult to say what his free agency AAV would actually be. He'd realistically get around 35 million a year. If you factor in arbitration, the Angels saved anywhere from 10-20 million.  

This is an awesome extension. My only question is about luxury tax. If they are ever willing to pay the tax it'd been good to do it this year. They could've signed him to 7/$145.5 million. This would've made his AAV for each year just over $20 million, this would've opened up $5 million each year for tax purposes. Just interesting to me. I guess no questions now, just enjoy it.

My conservative numbers have us at $171 million next year.  $156 million in 2016, and $106 million in 2017.  So going over seems inevitable.  In 2015, Conger and Santiago will be arb 1 players.

Per Ken Rosenthal

$5M signing bonus

$5.25M in 2015

$15.25M in 2016

$19.25M in 2017

$33.25M in 2018

$33.25M in 2019

$33.25M in 2020

Full no trade clause

My thoughts...

If the rumored $140M offer and $153M counter is true, got to figure that at least $2M in additional incentives (MVP, All-Star, Golden Glove, etc) is likely achievable so that he gets to the midpoint of 146.5M (vs 144.5M guaranteed) and can exceed it with continued great performance.

Yep finally, all off season our front office does something right. The only blip on the radar for this off season was the Freese for PB trade. Nothing else they have done can really be questioned. They signed a quality reliever, an inexpensive clubhouse leader for DH. They turned Trumbo and Romine into three young quality left handed starters. They released Jor Blanton and oh by the way they locked up Trout for the next seven years. All this while not over paying an average to below average major league starting free agent pitcher.

I don't think $33 million is a massive club discount when he's the highest paid player in league history those three years. GM's and agents don't look at 10 WAR players and multiply by $6.2 million and say, "ok this is what he's worth". You aren't going to see the pay structure dramatically change for the very best players. He is worthy of being the highest paid player in baseball, and he will be, and if my memory serves me, he will be by about $2 million (about 7%) over the next guy.

It seems to me to be a fair and equitable signing for all. Apparently each side received what they needed in the way of financial compensations, hence the signing of the contract. Moreover, Angel fans will have their favorite player guaranteed to be wearing Angels red three years past his free agency date. I don’t think you could get anymore WIN/WIN than that.

Thanks to the FO and Trout for finding common ground upon which to come to an agreement. Good days indeed.