• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Incoming Miguel Cabrera extension

nate

I don't know if I can forgive the franchise for !@#$ing up Trouts contract situation. I've dreamed my entire life to get to see a once in a generation player play in an Angel uniform and the team has flat out !@#$ed up. Anyone with any eye for talent knew Trout was special in 2011. 2012 taught us that he's actually even better than anyone imagined. 2012, as in 2 !@#$ing years ago! 

If we didn't trade Romine for a live arm I wouldn't even be excited for the season. If I move to the bay area I might have to become a Giants fan.

i live in san francisco - totally ok to be giants and angels fan.

giants games are where its at.

I usually can't stand passan's writing, but i enjoyed this line:

"Even if Cabrera's contract is relatively insulated from the rest of the industry – the second A-Rod ceiling took more than seven years to break – it speaks to the frequency with which a $9 billion business is happy to conduct itself with all the restraint of a first-timer in the champagne room."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miguel-cabrera-s--292-million-deal-could-be-the-biggest-contract-mistake-in-baseball-history-051917319.html

tigers fans going nuts in the comments

Edited by Poozy

If we didn't trade Romine for a live arm I wouldn't even be excited for the season. If I move to the bay area I might have to become a Giants fan.

Good idea, unless you want to be "that guy" who walks around S.F. with an Angels hat.

I guess the one good thing to be taken from this is that the AAV of the contract isn't so record-breaking that it shocks the conscience.  In fact I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels get Trout's free agent years for that price.  Three or four free agent years at $31 mil, plus another $50 mil for his arbitration years would give him a contract of between 6/140 and 7/170. 

I don't know if I can forgive the franchise for !@#$ing up Trouts contract situation. I've dreamed my entire life to get to see a once in a generation player play in an Angel uniform and the team has flat out !@#$ed up. Anyone with any eye for talent knew Trout was special in 2011. 2012 taught us that he's actually even better than anyone imagined. 2012, as in 2 !@#$ing years ago! 

You might want avoid tall buildings and bridges for the next year.

^its not that im saying we're smarter. If anything, I think the pujols/hamilton deals were arte meaning well but being outdated. In the post peds era, its tough to have guys still produce in their late 30's.

The fact the tigers didnt learn from us (or boston, or the skanks, or the dogs deals with some of their guys like kemp) is what we're all scratching our heads about

I don't get how this is any more appalling than the Arod/Pujols/Cano deals. The Tigers are getting by far the best hitter out of those other 3 contracts of comparable years/money.

Go look at Pujols stats up to age 30 versus Cabrera.

I think people quickly forget just how good Pujols was with the Cardinals.

Go look at Pujols stats up to age 30 versus Cabrera.

I think people quickly forget just how good Pujols was with the Cardinals.

Yeah, how can anyone argue this is any different from Pujols.  

Pujols age 26-30 seasons:  .330/.435/.628  177 OPS+

Cabrera age 26-30 seasons:  .335/.419/.598 170 OPS+

Yeah, how can anyone argue this is any different from Pujols.  

Pujols age 26-30 seasons:  .330/.435/.628  177 OPS+

Cabrera age 26-30 seasons:  .335/.419/.598 170 OPS+

The fact that they're similar builds that don't seem to age well is also concerning.

People mention Ortiz being able to maintain great production late in his 30s, but is there any other examples post steroids?

Thats a good question poozy. At least in the last few years its hard to think of one (ichiro? Thome?). But in the past (long time ago past), guys like aaron, williams, robinson etc were able to. Thats he one thing that gives me a little bit more optimism on pujols. He hasnt exactly endeared himself to angel fans in his time here, but I think people forget jut how good he really is. I think, if healthy, he is he type that should still be able o be a plus hitter a few more years.

The fact that they're similar builds that don't seem to age well is also concerning.

People mention Ortiz being able to maintain great production late in his 30s, but is there any other examples post steroids?

Similar builds, yes, but Miggy isn't nearly as "in shape" as Pujols was at his age. Also, Miggy has put on like 70 pounds since he started playing. I could see him struggling with his weight at some point in the near future.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/detroit-tigers-sign-miguel-cabrera-to-historic-contract/

Jonah Keri recaps exactly why this deal was terrible. Mostly due to the timing. He also gives a list of guys who lived up to being paid $30 million a year (adjusted for inflation) for their older years. The list was pretty much inner circle HoFers like Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Bonds* and then Ortiz. And that was in the history of baseball. 

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/detroit-tigers-sign-miguel-cabrera-to-historic-contract/

Jonah Keri recaps exactly why this deal was terrible. Mostly due to the timing. He also gives a list of guys who lived up to being paid $30 million a year (adjusted for inflation) for their older years. The list was pretty much inner circle HoFers like Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Bonds* and then Ortiz. And that was in the history of baseball.

Thanks for posting that. IMO, Keri is the best baseball writer currently working. A lifetime fan, but not a stodgy "back in the day" type, as well as a really intelligent guy that does very good research.