• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Incoming Miguel Cabrera extension

nate

This is worse than Pujols' deal.    M-Cab has never been in good shape the past few years to start with, and turns 31 soon.   Combine that with this being his 12th MLB season, and thus having 10 remaining seasons with Detroit for $292 million is stupid money.

That must mean that Scherzer is out of there after 2014? 

Heck knows what Trout can command, but I think we can limit his time here to probably at most 7 more seasons?

Let's not forget about him having some alcohol issues as well. That might start taking its toll before too long.

I honestly dont think this affects the AAV Trout will get now. He's 4 years from FA and Cabrera is 2. So you give up some money to avoid two extra years of risk.

He was looking at 25M AAV before so that's still in line.

My guess is he wasn't likely to sign a 7 or more year deal before and now he's certainly not. He's going to give up some AAV to get his guaranteed cash now, but he's going to want to get back on the market ASAP to get back any money he's lost. So it's 6 years (3 years of FA) at the most.

I just don't get Detroit's thought process on this.  They basically gave him free agent market rate when they still had him under control for another two years.  Did he give them an ultimatum?  Sign me for 8 more years or I'll walk in two years.  Final chance. 

And they do it after back to back mvp seasons?  Why not wait at least one more year to see if he starts to decline. 

While I agree that it's not considerably more of an albatross than the pujols and cano deals, Cabrera wasn't a free agent.  I just can't believe that he wouldn't have taken 6/200. 

As good as he is, I just can't imagine he gets 8/250 on the free agent market at age 33. 

But hey, it's not my money. 

I just don't get Detroit's thought process on this.  They basically gave him free agent market rate when they still had him under control for another two years.  Did he give them an ultimatum?  Sign me for 8 more years or I'll walk in two years.  Final chance. 

And they do it after back to back mvp seasons?  Why not wait at least one more year to see if he starts to decline. 

While I agree that it's not considerably more of an albatross than the pujols and cano deals, Cabrera wasn't a free agent.  I just can't believe that he wouldn't have taken 6/200. 

As good as he is, I just can't imagine he gets 8/250 on the free agent market at age 33. 

But hey, it's not my money. 

This.

Why spend so much money when his value is the highest it'll ever be?

Edited by Poozy

man, as good as he's been for Detroit, I don't know that I would have done that deal if I were them.  That contract could look mighty bad in a couple years.

Agree. These contracts are for a long time and players are past their prime.

When do clubs start to deal these kind of players for a coup of young players to keep the payroll down in the future years?

I know it's win now mentality, but these are huge contracts.

I don't get how this is any more appalling than the Arod/Pujols/Cano deals. The Tigers are getting by far the best hitter out of those other 3 contracts of comparable years/money.

The difference is that the Tugers don't have a lot of money to spend now that they've given it all away and they don't have a ton of help coming from the minors. So in three years when Verlander and Cabrera are too old to be productive, they will be exactly like the Phillies are now. The Angels and Yankees have much more money to spend so they can take those risks.

Also 290 > 250. That's 40 million dollars more in case you couldn't tell. That's a lot of money

I usually can't stand passan's writing, but i enjoyed this line:

"Even if Cabrera's contract is relatively insulated from the rest of the industry – the second A-Rod ceiling took more than seven years to break – it speaks to the frequency with which a $9 billion business is happy to conduct itself with all the restraint of a first-timer in the champagne room."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miguel-cabrera-s--292-million-deal-could-be-the-biggest-contract-mistake-in-baseball-history-051917319.html

I don't know if I can forgive the franchise for !@#$ing up Trouts contract situation. I've dreamed my entire life to get to see a once in a generation player play in an Angel uniform and the team has flat out !@#$ed up. Anyone with any eye for talent knew Trout was special in 2011. 2012 taught us that he's actually even better than anyone imagined. 2012, as in 2 !@#$ing years ago!

If we didn't trade Romine for a live arm I wouldn't even be excited for the season. If I move to the bay area I might have to become a Giants fan.

Haha. Did Trout go to another club yet? Instead of being a Giants fan, why don't you just be a Tigers fan.