• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Have they posted the 25man yet?

Having a right-handed hitter available off the bench is really only valuable if that guy can actually hit.

Cowgill has yet to show signs he can do that.

I don't really feel too strongly about the decision either way though. We'll still see plenty of Long and Shuck either way.

Edited by jshep

I don't see Shuck remaining much longer with the Halos organization at this point.

Cowgill needs to produce or Matt Long takes his place by mid-season.

the pen guy situation will change once De La Rosa and Burnett get healthy and are back.

Stewart/ McDonald being kept to me means that Scioscia and Halos brain trust suspicious of Freese's ability to play acceptable D at 3B for a full 9 innings.

Grant Geen sent out because he needs every day playing time more than he needs MLB roster time at this point in his career.....he'll be on the 35 man roster next year.

I like the Stewart move.  Breaking camp with him on the big club will motivate him.  Sending him to AAA could have broken him and he would have been out of the org in a month.  Now I think he will do well. 

Cowgill is a horrible horrible hitter, but I get keeping him as he was the only CF backup that isn't worth getting everyday at bats in AAA.  Still not a fan though and if he gets more than 100 PA, that's not good.

I like keeping Salas and Maronde, but Kohn over Lyon?  I guess I'm just not  a kohn fan.  He's a 3 run hr waiting to happen and I think he'll be the first to go once DDLR comes off the DL.  Still think Lyon would have been a better choice.

Although I understand the moves, I feel bad for Long and Shuck.  Not a fan of Shuck, but pretty rough getting sent to AAA after a solid spring and a reasonable 2013.  Poor Matt Long though.  Guy is 27 busting his hump for a shot.  Goes out and hits .400 for the spring and get's sent down.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him struggle a bit in AAA for awhile as a bit of a hangover.  Green as well.  Although I can see how they'd want him to get everyday reps and work on his D. 

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Cowgill has a career Minor League .373 OBP and .473 SLG (.846 OPS) while playing all three OF positions. More importantly the poor guy has been kicked around from club to club so much that I don't think it is fair to characterize his hitting as bad when not only does he not get playing time he can't even get comfortable in any organization. If that doesn't f*** with your rhythm I don't know what would? 378 PA's spread out over the last three years across four teams would prove difficult for most players I think.

Don't get me wrong Doc I don't think he is going to set the world on fire, particularly in a backup role, but I don't think he is as bad as people think. He plays good defense and lays out for the grabs so you have to give some credit where credit is due.