• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UCLA Basketball In Trouble?

Ron Holmes is a scum bag.  Ben Howland was desperate to save his job, he never should have recruited Shabazz.  There were so many warning signs.

If the Bruins get sanctioned, they deserve it.  Shabazz is the gift that keeps on giving.

I think this ends up being a bigger story but with very little bite as long as UCLA cooperates with the investigation.

Shabazz was cleared by the NCAA after an investigation last year. The player is no longer there and the coach was actually fired. UCLA should forfeit all their wins with Shabazz last year and the "Pac-12 Title" and call that will probably be enough. Just throw everything on the previous regime. I would like to see UCLA go above this and forfeit a scholarship for the next three years (I'm looking at you Bryce) and limit the amount of players in each class to 5. Maybe they should look into not participating in preseason tourneys like the one they just agreed to in Chicago, the Maui Invite and the Wooden.

I don't think this was as egregious as Cam Newton's dad asking for money in exchange for him playing at a certain school. To me the violations that come from making a player pick a particular school are the worst.

I think what you described is pretty extreme.  I think they will end up forfeiting all of their wins from the Shabazz era and that is about it.  Nobody at the school paid the Shabazz family to play there, the parent took a loan out and basically violated Shabazz' amateurism.

Also, it sounds like UCLA self reported this before it came out in the court docs.

Again, I cannot say how much of a scum bag Ron Holmes is.

Edited by nate

High profile players demand high profile compliance

Yes. Probably not fair to the players but the purpose of all these rules is to maintain competitive fairness and big time players can have a much greater affect than a 3rd string QB or something.

Obviously how much UCLA cooperates with the NCAA should also play a big factor. I hope UCLA doesn't try to stonewall the investigation because they think they are the face of west coast college B-Ball and can get away with it. Covering up for the cheating is worse than the cheating itself and would deserve a much harsher punishment. I just hope UCLA isn't dumb enough and/or arrogant enough to think it's too big to be punished by the NCAA because it's the marquis program in the West.

Edited by eaterfan

High profile players demand high profile compliance

Which is why the Bruins self reported once they found out.

It isn't like a Bruin booster bought him a house.  I have no idea how your compliance department is supposed to know a parent of a player took out a loan against one of the players NBA stock.

Which is why the Bruins self reported once they found out.

It isn't like a Bruin booster bought him a house. I have no idea how your compliance department is supposed to know a parent of a player took out a loan against one of the players NBA stock.

It's the NCAA. They can but probably won't say "You should have known his dad was up to this" lol

They're the worst.

NCAA violations are stupid.  It is the most ridiculous organization I know of.

Late last week ESPN discussed the case of two University of North Carolina athletes who borrowed a car to take a short trip. Had the two stolen the car, it would have been an internal matter for the university and there would have been no investigation. Since the car was borrowed, now there has to be an investigation into whether this constitutes an illegal benefit.

Any system that punishes borrowing more than stealing is too corrupt to exist.

Late last week ESPN discussed the case of two University of North Carolina athletes who borrowed a car to take a short trip. Had the two stolen the car, it would have been an internal matter for the university and there would have been no investigation. Since the car was borrowed, now there has to be an investigation into whether this constitutes an illegal benefit.

Any system that punishes borrowing more than stealing is too corrupt to exist.

Sounds like our government.

Not good.  If true the basketball team should definitely be sanctioned.  The good thing is that UCLA fully complied and helped with the investigation.

The Howland stank is going to stick with this program for a while.

The worst part is they needed a Mora like transformation and instead they got Mr. Rape cover up.

Disgraceful.

Edited by nate

Not good.  If true the basketball team should definitely be sanctioned.

The Howland stank is going to stick with this program for a while.

The worst part is they needed a Mora like transformation and instead they got Mr. Rape cover up.

Disgraceful.

I wouldn't be surprised with a year or two post season ban. It is warranted when combined with the other stuff. 

Our really good family friend is very high up in the administration at UCSB and I was talking to him after Howland's second Final Four run. He said Howland knew basketball but was such a jerk and a sleaze ball that they were still glad they didn't hire him. He said he'd rather be a middling Big West team without Howland than a Final Four team with him. In retrospect it seems like a smart decision.

It sounds even better than that. It sounds like the agent and Honeycutt wouldn't cooperate with UCLA's and the NCAA's investigations. UCLA tried everything and reported the allegations to the NCAA immediately. Maybe they should have noticed the car he was driving but 1) it's unfair to assume he couldn't afford a car provided 2) we have no idea what kind of car it was. Everyone assumes it was a nice car like what Reggie Bush got but maybe it was just a used Civic or something. Maybe it has been published what kind of car it was, but I haven't seen it.

Yep, I will never support a coach that tried to protect one of his players from a rape investigation.  It is a total embarrassment to UCLA that he is employed by them.

Well that may be the case but we are stuck with him for a minimum of 4 more years I'd say so I hope he does well.  Can't say I know anything about him outside of his last season at UNM and coming to UCLA.