• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

College students at American Univ. could not name one single U.S. Senator

I'm guessing they did as well. With so many things to involve yourself with and really get deep into an interest these days remembering numbers and names from that class isn't something that will stick with most kids. I remembered enough to ace the test...then I chased girls, played sports and started my own business. Oh no, but I forgot how many people are in congress! I personally doomed 'murica.

Wow.

This should be part of people's general knowledge. It's not complicated or difficult, even in your twenties.

2 houses, one with an equal number of representatives per state, the other with the number of reps based on state population.

Slaves are 3/5 of a person (lolz).

They aren't being asked to solve differential equations or quote from a scientific journal.

To me, this is something simple you should be able to name off the top of your head, like who won the Cy Young award in 1888*.

*It was Ralston Schmidt

Wow.

This should be part of people's general knowledge. It's not complicated or difficult, even in your twenties.

They are simple facts. But they are easy to forget when they aren't commonly used especially when you're trying to figure out who you are and learning several other subjects.

I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

Visiting friends tonight, I asked their 8-yr old son the questions the high school kids got. The only ones he missed was the name of the VP and the war in which we won our freedom. He said WWI.

He will be a highly productive member of society, ensure the best person runs in and wins elections, and be a millionaire historian. 

Answering "bin Laden" for "Who is the Vice-president of the U.S.?" is more like a brain disorder.

You have never said anything stupid. Got it.

The level of education students get these days is another subject. ICIM, IMO, it 100% falls on the parents' shoulders.

Education should be 50:50 on schools and parents. And this is not about learning a list of names - it is about a basic interest in politics and society, which should be part of our culture generally, imo. There are enough examples of people of all age groups failing these kind of questions in those street interviews. 

Just everyone look at a newspaper (or get the app...) once in a while and these things shouldn't be a problem.

They are simple facts. But they are easy to forget when they aren't commonly used especially when you're trying to figure out who you are and learning several other subjects.

I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

Sounds like you're making excuses. Really, it's simple stuff.

Btw, I'm a jr. high history teacher.

Did they ask every student? Did they show every student that answered? BTW, being put on the spot can 'freeze' the brain.

LOL at anyone who wants to look down on youngsters because of this video.

These are college kids and rather than make excuses I think we should expect the best from young people. 

I would expect that all college students should be able to name at least one senator.

Of course a big part of it is our worthless political system that drives everyone away.  The other side of that is if people took more interest maybe something would change.

Sounds like you're making excuses. Really, it's simple stuff.

Btw, I'm a jr. high history teacher.

Maybe I'm discounting the importance of this topic for college age kids. The reality is that adults will be no better. 

Being a history teacher kinda makes this subject close to heart for you and basic knowledge. A math teacher may believe everyone needs to know when to apply a specific formula. And an English teacher may believe I should know if "age" or "aged" is correct in my first sentence.

Don't we all?  Technology is great but social media has only shown how stupid a scary number of people are.  Let's not act like most adults are geniuses either considering a lot of voters vote R or D because of the R or D next to a candidates name.  I'm guessing about the same percentage of kids at that college will go on to be successful contributing members of society as the rate of the graduating classes of AW posters.  

Government isn't required at my school and the only option is an AP class. I took it simply because it's what I want to do in my life, but for the average, "normal" student, high school will teach you nothing about gov/politics.

It's pretty embarrassing really.