• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Congrats to John McDonald - Makes the team!

Chuck

I really am not hyped about this like some are. He has bounced around the league and never put in a full season anywhere. He can't hit a baseball or even get on base with a walk. Last season he played for 4 different teams and started in only 16 games. His batting average for the season is abysmal, in fact so bad Mathis is Mickey Mantle in comparison.  

I get he is bench depth but honestly a one trick pony is not what you need off the bench. You need super utility guys that can make something happen now and then with their bat or the basepaths like an Izturis. I really don't care what kind of clubhouse guy he is, we need players and as long as they are not pulling a Puig they won't be interfering with every day play. I don't see any value in this guy that you can't get more out of any minor league player.

We also need defense. The Angels were 13th in the AL last year in fielding pct.

McDonald is not going to start so he will have zero impact on the Angels overall defense. You think he is going to replace Aybar or Kendrick in the starting lineup? No, he will be a late inning defensive replacement for Freese, playing out of position. That has net zero worth. This is a wasted roster space.

I like McDonald, but I agree with giving the younger players a chance.  I would like to see our bench consist of players that will help us in two or three years (if not sooner).  With that said I guess our future contributors should be in the minors playing everyday and improving rather than rotting on the bench. 

I don't know about wasted. An older veteran who can help the younger kids. Be a role model and be someone who can help grow the young kids. Something I don't know that we have had since maybe Hunter left. I don't believe Pujols is a guy who talks to players he seems like a lead by action not by talking. I have no problem with a roster spot that even if its for a little while longer he can help the kids.

Hopefully, this is the ONE player that Dipoto "threw a bone" to Scioscia on, for his experience, attitude, and grit.

Lets hope the rest are picked by the FO, and because they are the better baseball players.

Edited by Homebrewer

Let me go with one more rant then I'm done with the thread. We have 41 year old Ibanez trying to pad his retirement account and although he has shown an ability to run he really hasn't done much with the bat. Every player ages out and Ibanez is certainly looking like that is going to happen this season.

McDonald is 38, never able to catch up to MLB pitching so he is defense only. But he is the same age as Jeter and we all have seen his mobility and range decrease over the years, do you think McDonald is immune to being his age?

The Angels are making the same mistakes of picking up old veterans on the bench while the A's and Rangers are putting kids on their bench. The oldest position player on the A's last season was Coco Crisp at 33. The oldest guy on the Rangers bench last year was 32.

Old guys certainly are calming influence in the clubhouse, kind of like elevator music but nobody really wants to get stuck in an elevator. Their age is an elevator going down, not up. They provide nothing but experience and the higher potential of injury than a 21-25 year old.

For experience the Angels can lean on the coaching staff, for production they need guys that can hit, run and produce in every aspect of the game. The Angels need to keep cycling youth through the lineup, not pick up more AARP eligible veterans.