• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anonymous player poll: Trout voted best, Harper most overrated

NrM

Didn't read the poll, but I don't think Harper is the most over rateõd player.

Agreed. Harper hasn't lived up to Trout's standard but that isn't really fair. He has been very good and is only going to get better.

The most overrated player is probably Ellsbury.

That's hardly fair to Harper. The kid is just 21 years old and already is a very good hitter (a .272/.353/.481 through his first 257 games). If I were picking a franchise player going forward, he'd be on the short list in the #2-5 range.

Most overrated? Hard to say. Usually its a fan favorite by a certain team fan-base. We all have our over-rated players.

I think David Price is a bit overrated. He's a very good pitcher, but he just doesn't wow me like a Verlander or Felix or Darvish.

I think Yasiel Puig might be a bit overrated. He's very good, but I think he might be closer to Alfonso Soriano or Raul Mondesi than Vladimir Guerrero.

Harper was billed as the best player in decades and better than Trout. At this point he is just above average. I would say that is definitely overrated.

He has definitely been more than above average. You also have to realize how young he is and compare him to others of the same age. He actually stacks up with the best of all time through his age 20 season.

Why does his age matter?

He has a career .834 OPS as a corner OF.  That is above average.

Age matters because players generally improve as they enter their primes. Being above average at 20 means you have a great shot at being dominant at age 25. 

I don't think people are saying Harper is on the short list of best players in the game at this time but that he will probably be in the near future. That's why his age is important when judging over or under rated for Harper.

Harper was billed as the best player in decades and better than Trout.  At this point he is just above average.  I would say that is definitely overrated.

Agreed. To this point, Harper is overrated. I think we need to differentiate between a generational talent and a phenom. Both are players who are young and possess incredible ability, but a generational talent demonstrates that on the field. A phenom is just a tease. Trout is a generational talent. Harper has been a phenom - so far.

I think Strasburg is overrated as well. His durability and ability to pitch deep into games is in question. To be a true ace, you have to be a work horse. He averages 5.8 innings per start and hasn't reached 200 innings in a season yet.

Edited by Llewyn Davis

Age matters because players generally improve as they enter their primes. Being above average at 20 means you have a great shot at being dominant at age 25. 

I don't think people are saying Harper is on the short list of best players in the game at this time but that he will probably be in the near future. That's why his age is important when judging over or under rated for Harper.

But his hype was that he was instant impact super star.  He is not, therefore he is overrated.  If he is dominant at age 25 then he wont be overrated anymore.  The level of overrated has nothing to do with projections, it has to do with right now.

Nate, once again does anyone have Harper in their short list of best players or had him on their short list of best players since his call up? His rating is/was all based on projection and nothing he has done so far has changed his projection. Also where did anyone say he would be a super star at age 20? A lot of this is based on people only comparing him to Mike Trout. Maybe Mike Trout was just very underrated. Harper has certainly outperformed other highly rated prospects like Matt Moore. 

I'm not sure it's fair to say that Harper is overrated because Trout is so amazing. There were a lot of prospect rating services that had Trout ranked higher and even those that didn't had them close. Trout has already proved to be a generational talent but just because he is it doesn't mean Harper can't be. That's like arguing that since Magic was a generational talent Bird wasn't.

Finally if we are basing players only on what they were supposed to be compared to career production you can't have Puig as overrated. I don't think he made very many top 100 prospect lists and wasn't supposed to do much. He was one of the best players in baseball last season. I happen to think last year was a bit of a mirage but that's using projections. If we are going to use projections then I don't think Harper is overrated. 

Why does his age matter?

He has a career .834 OPS as a corner OF.  That is above average.

Why does age matter? If Trout were 27 right now, would his first two seasons be nearly as impressive? How many players in baseball history can say they have matched Bryce Harper's numbers in their age 19 and 20 seasons?

Without Trout coming in and blowing away the standards for young players to play at the top level, I think people see Harper as "overrated" simply because he hasn't lived up to that ridiculous standard. He was touted as "the next big thing" but I don't think anyone could have realistically expected him to come up to the big leagues and immediately win the MVP in his first two years. I'm guessing no one actually predicted that.

He has been very good in his first two seasons, all things considered. You can't just throw out his age and compare his career numbers to veterans who have been in the league for close to a decade now, or more. How many of those guys were even in the majors at Harper's age?

i pretty much disagree with almost everyone in this thread. harper is great and age does matter when he's so young. ellsbury is also a great player, i'm not sure how he can be overrated.

i'd say someone like justin upton is probably my vote, only because he fits the bill of being highly regarded, but only really delivering in hot outbursts. however, i'd still like him on the angels.

Justin Upton is much more overrated than Harper.    As GB said, it's much more overhyped that Harper is.   He was billed as the next Babe Ruth/Ken Griffey Jr. basically. 

This is why people are saying it's unfair to compare him to Trout. While Harper isn't putting up Ruth numbers (it's not fair to compare because Ruth started as a pitcher) but his numbers stand up to Griffey's at the same age. If Mike Trout didn't blow away every previous notion of what a generational young player was then people would be talking about Harper the way they talked about Griffey.

i pretty much disagree with almost everyone in this thread. harper is great and age does matter when he's so young. ellsbury is also a great player, i'm not sure how he can be overrated.

i'd say someone like justin upton is probably my vote, only because he fits the bill of being highly regarded, but only really delivering in hot outbursts. however, i'd still like him on the angels.

Ellsbury is a good player who has played just 2 full seasons in the last 4 years. His 2011 was a complete fluke. Playing for Boston and now NY he is seen as much more than he really is: a good player with only one truly great season.