• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Max Scherzer talks with Tigers tabled

gotbeer

qualifying offer? are you serious?

If you look at Scherzer's numbers.  2013 was an epic year for him.

But the previous 4 full seasons.  He never had an ERA under 3.50.  He never had a WHIP under 1.25.  

If the Tigers offered a Felix/Kershaw type deal, then Boras is stupid for passing it up.

If Boras was the one that said we want this type of deal, and the Tigers refused, then that's on Boras.  And if Scherzer reverts back to his career norms, or takes a step back.  It could be shades of Santana/Jimenez again.

Tigers say they offered a contract that would have made Max one of the highest paid pitchers in the game. It looks like Boras countered with different terms and the Tigers declined. This shows that Max will test FA this off season. Gutsy move because if he gets injured or falls off a bit, he'll lose that initial offer.

Boras is making the Tigers bid against themselves. He will do whatever the player asks and will take the heat. It's Max that didn't take the offer, not Boras. But the Player/Agent dynamic makes it seems like the Agent is being the greedy one. This allows a player to save face among fans and say "I love the city and love the clubhouse. I hope we can come to terms", while fans bad mouth the agent. If Max really loves Detroit, he could have taken the initial deal and lived comfortably for the rest of his life.

I agree, he's a #1 in my book. He might've had a career year, but I think he'll put up similar number to it over the next few years.

I can see him producing near his 2013 levels. I think adding a decent curve ball and the development of his slider and change up led to the spike in production in 2013.

One thing I noticed looking at his numbers is he had a super low BABIP at .259, which is way below his career .302 mark. Most of it probably had to do with him just turning into a better pitcher. Some of it may have been luck. I guess we'll find out how much luck was involved next year. 

I can see him producing near his 2013 levels. I think adding a decent curve ball and the development of his slider and change up led to the spike in production in 2013.

One thing I noticed looking at his numbers is he had a super low BABIP at .259, which is way below his career .302 mark. Most of it probably had to do with him just turning into a better pitcher. Some of it may have been luck. I guess we'll find out how much luck was involved next year. 

Yeah, a big part of his success came from being able to get lefties out, thanks to the curveball he started using last season. Lefties hit .222 against him last year, A huge drop off from the .292 mark they had against him in 2012. 

Boras is making the Tigers bid against themselves. He will do whatever the player asks and will take the heat. It's Max that didn't take the offer, not Boras. But the Player/Agent dynamic makes it seems like the Agent is being the greedy one. This allows a player to save face among fans and say "I love the city and love the clubhouse. I hope we can come to terms", while fans bad mouth the agent. If Max really loves Detroit, he could have taken the initial deal and lived comfortably for the rest of his life.

Boras must have only greedy clients then because this happens with basically every one of them.