• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will today be Blanton's last game as an Angel ...

Spirit

were using wins now?  really? 

i give. not worth arguing.   but tossing him away for nothing makes little sense to me

Use any stat you want.  He was about as miserable as you can be. 

I guess we disagree on his value.  In all likelihood, there probably isn't a team that would take him if we basically gave him away and paid all his salary.

My point is that I think he actually brings negative value to the team ie, he's worth more wins not being around.   

i give. not worth arguing.   but tossing him away for nothing makes little sense to me

If you're uncomfortable with wins, how about the league collectively putting up a .904 OPS against him.  For reference, that'd be tied for 5th best in the AL with Encarnacion, right behind Ortiz and Trout.  

Edited by markb

Sunk costs?

Sticking with him because he cost the team 8.5 mil makes no sense to me.  If sunk costs are a fallacy to you then maybe  the question needs to be this..  Whats more costly, tossing him away or risking him doing further damage?

Edited by Inside Pitch

In order of preference re: what the team does with Blanton:

A) Trade him for whatever warm body they can get back.

2) Cut him.

iii). Keep him but only use him in low-leverage situations if at all possible.

The first two options are much more preferable to the last one.

The fact that he has a contract for $8.5 million should not be the primary factor in whether to keep him or cut him.

I look at it this way. It's addition by subtraction. Virtually anybody we run out there would be an improvement over Blanton, and if he is off the roster he isn't blowing games for us. Several other people have brought up the point that we need to get off to a fast start given the injury situations at Oakland and Texas, and Blanton is a major impediment to that. He has shown that he is capable of blowing virtually any lead. The only way I would want him on the mound is in a situation in which another team would bring in a backup infielder to pitch late in a game when they are on the wrong end of a blowout. If we have a player on the roster who is only good for those kinds of situations, that is a wasted roster spot. 

FFS people i never defended him.. im just pointing out that all the options are unproven and there is zero guarantee we are better without him than with him at least for now.   You keeped talking about depth all off season, now you wantto throw one away.... i cant figure some of you out

They just traded for another arm to improve that depth. Blanton isn't depth worth holding onto considering how bad he is. As people have said, shitty depth isn't depth

I'd rather see the Halos take chances on guys with upside over keeping a "sure thing" that sucks. We know what Blanton is, and it's not good. I'd rather roll the dice with the young arms that actually have upside. The payoff more than makes up for it.

I like seeing the Halos take chances. No sense keeping Blanton over a young guy just because he's unproven. Worst case scenario is they end up as bad as Blanton was last year....which even that would be hard.

Again, replacing a 6+ ERA shouldn't be difficult

Edited by bloodbrother

FFS people i never defended him.. im just pointing out that all the options are unproven and there is zero guarantee we are better without him than with him at least for now.   You keeped talking about depth all off season, now you wantto throw one away.... i cant figure some of you out

Not sure what posts you read, but most of the ones I saw spoke of acquiring depth in order to avoid having to rely on Blanton.  I personally referred to it as Operation No Blanton.  Alvarez fits the bill rather nicely IMO.  

"im saying that a decent Blanton would be better than a kid with all of 10 innings."

Flop, I'm not sure how this isn't defending the guy. Blanton is clearly declining so unless you think he'll magically improve his ERA by one full run next year, then any option(literally any option) would be better than Blanton.

I would get the argument if Blanton had been successful in the recent years but he's been horrid.

Flop, I'm not sure how this isn't defending the guy. Blanton is clearly declining so unless you think he'll magically improve his ERA by one full run next year, then any option(literally any option) would be better than Blanton.

Well, to be fair, it may not be a case of defending Blanton so much as an attempt to defend his position -- i.e. that it doesn't make sense to throw away 8 million dollars.   

"im saying that a decent Blanton would be better than a kid with all of 10 innings."

I would get the argument if Blanton had been successful in the recent years but he's been horrid.

I would get it if a decent Blanton still existed.

I don't mean a decent outing out of 5 (which is, I think, what we've seen from him this spring), I mean at least 3 out of 5 would be acceptable.

Well, to be fair, it may not be a case of defending Blanton so much as an attempt to defend his position -- i.e. that it doesn't make sense to throw away 8 million dollars.

Yeah that may be his point but I'm not sure I get it.

I think it's more of a waste to continue giving this guy a chance than it is to waste to just release him.

I totally get that we don't have much depth but Blanton is either on the major league roster or he's released. If I had to pick an option, I'll gladly take the release. Alvarez and Shoemaker are good enough depth for the time being.