• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels' Aybar working to make walks a part of his game

It's so hard to try and improve at this. Usually you either have it or you don't. With that said, Aybar really could still make gains here. He's shown to be a very good contact hitter. He doesn't K much and is able to recognize/react to off speed pitches. Some more walks from him woukd be a pleasant surprise, though with his skillset he doesn't need to be lookin for walks. Just work the counts better to get into more favorable hitting situations and then let it rip

It's so hard to try and improve at this. Usually you either have it or you don't. With that said, Aybar really could still make gains here. He's shown to be a very good contact hitter. He doesn't K much and is able to recognize/react to off speed pitches. Some more walks from him woukd be a pleasant surprise, though with his skillset he doesn't need to be lookin for walks. Just work the counts better to get into more favorable hitting situations and then let it rip

Historically plate discipline improves as a guy ages, but you're right it's hard for guys who haven't ever really worked it to pull it off-- they don't call it plate discipline for nothing.

A guy like Aybar with extreme bat control and the ability to make as much contact as he does is one of the better candidates to improve his walk rate but as the article states, it's more about trying to get into better hitter's counts.   Still, tf Erick Aybar were to suddenly add 20-30 points to his OBP it would be a huge boost to his career and the Angels fortunes.

That Dipoto interview Chuck posted talked about the Angels front office flooding the Angels with statistical information this spring, makes you wonder if they didn't just show Aybar some numbers that made him reconsider his hacktastic ways. 

Historically plate discipline improves as a guy ages, but you're right it's hard for guys who haven't ever really worked it to pull it off-- they don't call it plate discipline for nothing.

A guy like Aybar with extreme bat control and the ability to make as much contact as he does is one of the better candidates to improve his walk rate but as the article states, it's more about trying to get into better hitter's counts.   Still, tf Erick Aybar were to suddenly add 20-30 points to his OBP it would be a huge boost to his career and the Angels fortunes.

That Dipoto interview Chuck posted talked about the Angels front office flooding the Angels with statistical information this spring, makes you wonder if they didn't just show Aybar some numbers that made him reconsider his hacktastic ways. 

If aybar were to suddenly boost his OBP 20-30 points, he'd be a top 5 SS

Edited by Poozy

If aybar were to suddenly boost his OBP 20-30 points, he'd be a top 5 SS

I had typed that out then taken it out to avoid people ignoring the bigger picture and focusing on the whole top 5 comment .... but you're absolutely right.  You would think that becoming more patient would also impact his other numbers as well, it would be huge for him and the Angels.  It's the lack of OBP that's been his biggest flaw IMO.

You're right. Trumbo is a good example - he clearly worked hard at it and has improved to a degree (spurts of big improvement mixed in with his usual self) but it's clear walks are never going to be his game. Aybar isn't about to have an OBP 90 points above his average, but any improvement is welcome.

gotta love spring training articles

It's interesting how it's ST and nothing more than fluff when a guy does something different or tries to improve his game -- but when a guy like Albert Pujols comes out cold, ST is proof that he is done. 

I'm guessing all the roads run one way in Anti-fanville.

It's interesting how it's ST and nothing more than fluff when a guy does something different or tries to improve his game -- but when a guy like Albert Pujols comes out cold, ST is proof that he is done. 

I'm guessing all the roads run one way in Anti-fanville.

did I mention Pujols?

re: Aybar, the guy has been in the league for 8 years and never had more than 35 BBs in a season.  Sorry if I'm a tad skeptical that he's all the sudden going to become a more patient hitter.  I guess that means I'm not a fan of the team.

did I mention Pujols?

re: Aybar, the guy has been in the league for 8 years and never had more than 35 BBs in a season.  Sorry if I'm a tad skeptical that he's all the sudden going to become a more patient hitter.  I guess that means I'm not a fan of the team.

Everyone is skeptical. 

I realize it might break you to view the glass as anything other than half empty, but what you're missing even as you talk up his 8 years of hacktastic hackiness is that Erick Aybar has never shown any effort to work counts -- not even when he was asked to lead-off for realsies....  So, while we are all doubtful it carries over, it is somewhat newsworthy and possibly an indication that maybe, possibly, the coaches are pushing harder to get players to go a certain way.  That was after-all the sentiment being put forth in the OP.   

As far as not being a fan goes -- you can nail yourself to a cross if you want, but I don't doubt you're a fan...  Some fans revel in the bad.