• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels' season ticket sales down 20% since 2012

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-notes-20140320,0,6484504.story#axzz2wTApDUm9

Down 40% from 2006.  Wow.  Excerpt from the article:

"The Dodgers have sold more than 32,000 season tickets this year, with a renewal rate above 98%. Alvarado said the Angels' renewal rate this year is in the "low 80s" but said fans deciding not to renew have not indicated they would get Dodgers tickets. Instead, Alvarado said, those fans are buying tickets to a few Angels games and waiting to see how well the team plays.

"They're canceling their season seats," Alvarado said. "They're not canceling the Angels."

The Angels have sold more than 3 million tickets in each of owner Arte Moreno's 11 seasons. Although that streak appears in jeopardy, Angels President John Carpino said he believed the team again would sell 3 million with a contending team, and with increases in group and individual game sales to offset the drop in season tickets.

Carpino also said the decline in season sales did not restrict the Angels in their winter spending.

"It has not affected our ability to sign any player," he said. "We are fortunate to have an owner who has no debt on the team and is committed to win a world championship every year."

This isn't a big surprise to be honest. 

Their attendance this year really depends on how they start. I know many fans are excited but if they're under .500 in May, you'll see crowds in the 20,000's.

I really hope this team turns it around this year. It seems like forever since 2009. 

This isn't a big surprise to be honest. 

Their attendance this year really depends on how they start. I know many fans are excited but if they're under .500 in May, you'll see crowds in the 20,000's.

I really hope this team turns it around this year. It seems like forever since 2009. 

Yeah, maybe not a huge surprise in terms of %--but the surprise for me was that there's now an official acknowledgement of the decline.

Yeah, maybe not a huge surprise in terms of %--but the surprise for me was that there's now an official acknowledgement of the decline.

That's true. I didn't think about it from that perspective. 

That tells me that they're determined to make this a better season. It seems like all the pieces are there for this team to contend for the AL West. It's just a matter of actually realizing some of the potential this team has. 

I'll be honest. The only reason I watched angel games last year was to see the best player in baseball play.

Nothing is exciting about seeing aging vets past their prime playing, when the they're already out of contention in may.

I always prefer watching younger players with great potential.

Of course, having a competitive team will have me tuning in and attending games no matter what.

I also think it's a good thing that attendance is down when the team isn't competitive. It shows that they can't just throw out any garbage out there and expect to be just as profitable.

Edited by Poozy

After several years of steady decline, topped off by the last two years, they ran out of ways to spin the numbers positive. There's just no place left to go.

When he says they believe they will sell 3 Million with a contending team what he's really saying is that there is going to be a serious drop off in ticket sales until the bandwagon fills back up. What he fails to realize is that even in 2002 when the Angels were in contention most of the season, September numbers were not that impressive at all. They picked up at the very end, but that would be far too late to turn around an entire season of underperforming numbers.

This Angels Front Office is staring down the barrel of the realization of a lot things they've assumed incorrectly throughout the years. They kept trying Gene Autry's old trick of bringing in the marquee names to artificially boost attendance, but in the end, winning is the only surefire way of putting butts into seats consistently. And until the Angels either win the championship outright or make a couple of consecutive deep runs, 3 Million fans just are not going to be coming to the Angels games.

They just can't avoid that realization anymore.

It really comes down to two things:   1.  The cost of going to a game and, 2.  The quality of play (winning team).

Even in the less expensive seats, it's a luxury to go to an Angels game these days.  For two people to go to a game, you're looking at around $50 once you've included parking and basic food/drink.  (which for this crowd prob means one hot dog/four beers)

However much we can appreciate that the Angels are not the most expensive baseball experience, that is still a considerable amount of money.  Multiply that by 80 games, or even 20 games, and you will think more than twice about watching whatever team is on the field.

Having a winner on the field is a given as far as driving attendance.  But the cost is really the main driver now.  The economy of the last several years has forced people to more carefully evaluate where they are spending money. 

There are still a lot of tickets for Opening Day. Just looked yesterday and some tickets they've dropped by a good $15

This season will most likely be the first time they haven't sold out their Opening Game in several years.  IMO, that speaks volumes.

Let's hope they have a solid April to turn it around!

2007-08 was the perfect model. By that point the novelty and star power of Vlad had cooled off a bit, Torii Hunter was a relatively big name but wouldn't have exactly sold bucketloads of season tickets and our pitching was very good but wasn't defined by household names. My point - it wasn't through the name power that was selling big numbers of tickets back then, we didn't really have it. It was just winning. We clearly strayed into thinking we could do even better by signing the likes of Pujols/Hamilton and so on and winning, which looking back was wrong. Star power will never replicate winning in terms of fan appeal.

I can't hate on people who didn't renew their tickets. They're most likely still going to go to plenty of games but just didn't want to make a big commitment.

Honestly, it's way cheaper and more convenient to use 714 tickets and choose what games to go to. I rarely had to spend more than 5 dollars for a ticket last year and I went to about 30 games.

Park across the street, bring some outside food in and I was paying about 15 bucks for a game. Not bad at all and I wasn't committed to showing up to every single game.

Not that it's entirely to blame but economic factors have caused many businesses to stop buying season seats for customers and employees. Many have elected to buy tickets al a carte. I have a few friends whose companies canceled season seats over the last few years. The teams winning record hasn't helped as well.

Edited by JAHV76

The Angels' attendance base isn't all that hardcore compared to other teams.  A large percentage of those 3 million people don't care if the Angels win or lose.  They just show up because it's trendy and fashionable and a place to socialize and drink.  They have no clue where the Angels sit in the standings by the time September rolls around, nor do they care. 

The fact that season ticket sales continued to plummet after acquiring Pujols and Hamilton and the promotion of Trout is a pretty damning indictment.

I think one of the reasons season ticket sales are down is because season ticket holders are finding it harder to get any of their money back from selling tickets to the more popular series.  People used to count on that.

In the end though, it is all about winning games and being in the playoff hunt.

This team needs to start the season with wins.  I think they will.