• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Angels working to rebuild farm system

Not that it would ever happen in MLB, but I do wonder if an everyday player could also pitch an inning in at least say 30 games. 

The 1995 collegiate POTY, CSF's Mark Kotsay, played the OF for the first 8 innings and then if CSF had the lead he would move to the mound to close the game.  

Not that it would ever happen in MLB, but I do wonder if an everyday player could also pitch an inning in at least say 30 games. 

The 1995 collegiate POTY, CSF's Mark Kotsay, played the OF for the first 8 innings and then if CSF had the lead he would move to the mound to close the game.  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kiescbr01.shtml

The supposed significance of having a top 100 player is odd to me.  I get that it's supposedly an indicator of a weak system, but if the pundits suddenly rank Lindsey and Cron in the top 100, does that make our system better?  

The reason the system isn't well regarded has more to do with the lack of starting pitching and in particular that there is probably only 1 guy at AA or above that has a chance to be part of a rotation.  And at the back end to boot.  

Fundamentally, I like the direction they are taking the system, but the proof is in the pudding.  I think we agree there are a bunch of high floor guys and in fact we will probably see a bunch on the pitching side in AA this year.  

There are also a few higher ceiling guys like Rondon that could blow up over the next couple of years.  

Sure the system lacks high end talent, but it's not completely void of it.  The snapshot phenomena is dead on in that if a couple guys have good seasons, all of a sudden the system is going to be better regarded, but it's still the same guys when it wasn't

The 2014 team is basically set. It would be nice to see a few guys play themselves into the top 100 for next year but right now it's not a huge factor on the season.

that's a good point as well.  The ultimate goal of any farm system is to make the major league club better.  Whether by trades, payroll flexibility or by the players performance.  As opposed to the system being good just for the sake of being good.  

Certainly, the coming contributions on the pitching side are questionable, but for now, the major league club doesn't lack inherent talent.  Just depth.  

Hopefully they actually have an international presence now. Seems like that can be the ticket to rebuilding the farm system the fastest.

This is absolutely the best way to go. I hate the Dodgers, but you have to respect the fact that in the last two years they have gotten Ryu, Puig and now Guerroro. I just hope the couple we have signed will have a high ceiling and really contribute at the major league level. If they do, then we could see more of those prospects want to sign with the Angels.

that's a good point as well.  The ultimate goal of any farm system is to make the major league club better.  Whether by trades, payroll flexibility or by the players performance.  As opposed to the system being good just for the sake of being good.  

Certainly, the coming contributions on the pitching side are questionable, but for now, the major league club doesn't lack inherent talent.  Just depth.  

Well they certainly could use some SP talent in the minors right now.

The supposed significance of having a top 100 player is odd to me. I get that it's supposedly an indicator of a weak system, but if the pundits suddenly rank Lindsey and Cron in the top 100, does that make our system better?

The reason the system isn't well regarded has more to do with the lack of starting pitching and in particular that there is probably only 1 guy at AA or above that has a chance to be part of a rotation. And at the back end to boot.

Fundamentally, I like the direction they are taking the system, but the proof is in the pudding. I think we agree there are a bunch of high floor guys and in fact we will probably see a bunch on the pitching side in AA this year.

There are also a few higher ceiling guys like Rondon that could blow up over the next couple of years.

Sure the system lacks high end talent, but it's not completely void of it. The snapshot phenomena is dead on in that if a couple guys have good seasons, all of a sudden the system is going to be better regarded, but it's still the same guys when it wasn't

Agreed. How many top 100 prospects do the Twins have? Like 8? I would bet half of those guys flame out. Just the way it goes.

Agreed. How many top 100 prospects do the Twins have? Like 8? I would bet half of those guys flame out. Just the way it goes.

right.  and you don't know which ones it will be.  so you think you have a guy that's gonna be a mainstay at a certain position so you pass up opportunities in trade or FAcy to bring in other talent.  Granted, I'd love to have 8 and end up with four than 0 and end up with 0.  But it's a decent sized crap shoot.  Is it certain that Kolten Wong is going to be a better player than Lindsey?  

The supposed significance of having a top 100 player is odd to me.  I get that it's supposedly an indicator of a weak system, but if the pundits suddenly rank Lindsey and Cron in the top 100, does that make our system better?  

The reason the system isn't well regarded has more to do with the lack of starting pitching and in particular that there is probably only 1 guy at AA or above that has a chance to be part of a rotation.  And at the back end to boot.  

Fundamentally, I like the direction they are taking the system, but the proof is in the pudding.  I think we agree there are a bunch of high floor guys and in fact we will probably see a bunch on the pitching side in AA this year.  

Sure the system lacks high end talent, but it's not completely void of it.  The snapshot phenomena is dead on in that if a couple guys have good seasons, all of a sudden the system is going to be better regarded, but it's still the same guys when it wasn't

right.  and you don't know which ones it will be.  so you think you have a guy that's gonna be a mainstay at a certain position so you pass up opportunities in trade or FAcy to bring in other talent.  Granted, I'd love to have 8 and end up with four than 0 and end up with 0.  But it's a decent sized crap shoot.  Is it certain that Kolten Wong is going to be a better player than Lindsey?  

The problem, Doc, is that what you say in your first post could be said about ANY farm system - every organization has guys like Rondon and Delgado that could break through. Some become Jean Segura and Peter Bourjos, some become Chevy Clarke and Ryan Bolden. But using Rondon (or any Angels prospect, really) as an example of how the farm could be much better with a few breakout years doesn't really fly, because it applies to ALL teams.

So the difference between the Twins and the Angels is not simply that the Twins have more talent, but that they have more talent with higher upside - and that is closer to actualizing it. Best-case scenario and the Angels could be where the twins are in 3-5 years. If players like Hunter Green, Keynon Middleton, Ricardo Sanchez, Natanael Delgado, and Jose Rondon all develop well, AND the Angels draft more high-end and/or low-ceiling prospects who also develop well, than in 3-5 years we could have a top 10 farm system again. But a lot has to go right.