• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros Need a Firstbaseman

wopphil

Cron is the type of prospect that you shouldn't trade unless it was for a sure thing, like as part of a trade package at the deadline for an ace.  Trading him for some highly-touted pitching prospects seems like a gamble.  You don't know whether those prospects will be good pitchers as much as you don't know how good a of player Cron will develop into. 

Who in their right mind trades ALBERT PUJOLS. I'm very critical of the dude & I loathe his contract, but a trade like that has a good chance of backfiring.

That would be like Apple trading Steve Jobs to Microsoft in 2002.

Or it would be like trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees...oh wait,

Or it could be like the Blue Jays trading Vernon Wells. Pujols could certainly be a great player for the next 3-4 years. He could be a good player after that. But there is a decent to good chance he won't be. Combine that with $200+ million owed over that time and it seems likely you could get better production from that money. Nothing in baseball is guaranteed (except contracts) like Pujols falling off a cliff or Pujols bouncing back to all-star levels. But when you need him to bounce back to an all-star level to get your money's worth then it's not unreasonable to think about trading the guy for nothing. 

Crazy how much fans choose not to remember. The glorious day on Dec 5th, 2011. Aside from the poor start in April of 2012, he was the Pujols we all thought we were getting. Then he played on one leg last season (nursing two leg injuries) and still hit 17 HR in 99 games.

I guess I just don't understand the hate and negative tone toward this guy. You should be excited to see what he can do this season instead of fantasizing about trading the guy already. He is not going anywhere and it's my hope that in 3-5 years he'll become a very good DH for us in the way of Edgar Martinez/David Ortiz for the remainder of his contract.

People are just negative nellys. The dude was on pace to hit 30 bombs and over 100 RBIs on that one leg last year. I for one am excited to see him and Hamilton shut everyone up this year!

The reason i limit to an impact player now, is that like other i think he can be very good and im not trading him for a fringe prospect.  i saw this year as we cant keep trading for "depth", we need someone to actually help.. if we cant get that then you dont trade the guy. 

The reason i limit to an impact player now, is that like other i think he can be very good and im not trading him for a fringe prospect.  i saw this year as we cant keep trading for "depth", we need someone to actually help.. if we cant get that then you dont trade the guy. 

I think you misread my post. I said a good AA SP prospect and some fringe guys (possible starter or reliever). But your reasoning is why I'm more tempted to trade for a prospect than a guy who will contribute this year. I think you get guys with higher ceilings (more potential impact) than guys who have already hit the bigs.

Man... people here are way higher on Cron than I am I guess. The dude is 24, a bat-only player and had a .319 OBP and .740 OPS last year. I would trade him any day of the week for a decent SP prospect.

Cron has a ton of power.

Be patient. Ryan Howard and many others were late bloomers.

I would trade Cron to the Astros for pitching because it would be young quality cost controlled pitching.

I would also trade Albert for nothing. Not because I don't think he can be a quality player again, because I think he will be. I would trade him to free up the $27 million a year he will be getting in his major decline years. Trading him frees is up to get another younger great player.

I would trade Cron to the Astros for pitching because it would be young quality cost controlled pitching.

I would also trade Albert for nothing. Not because I don't think he can be a quality player again, because I think he will be. I would trade him to free up the $27 million a year he will be getting in his major decline years. Trading him frees is up to get another younger great player.

Pujols has a no trade clause. The fact that people even talk about trading him is hilarious.

Who in their right mind trades ALBERT PUJOLS. I'm very critical of the dude & I loathe his contract, but a trade like that has a good chance of backfiring.

Actually it's more like Apple trading Steve Jobs to Microsoft in 2013. 

Or like trading Nolan Ryan to the Angels...

About to turn 28. Has the ISO of a shortstop in the PCL. I'm sure we could get a bag of balls for him. Maybe two bags of balls.

If the Halos seriously want to make a trade with the Astros, trade discussions would begin and end with Cron.

What's wrong with 2 buckets of balls? With the way Blanton makes them disappear, we might need the extras! Just kidding. Don't ban me.

Crazy how much fans choose not to remember. The glorious day on Dec 5th, 2011. Aside from the poor start in April of 2012, he was the Pujols we all thought we were getting.

Not entirely true, really.  His May and September/October weren't great, either, with OPSes ranging from .735 to .800.  June/July/August, he *was* the "Pujols of old," though: .977-1.071 OPS.   That's the dude we need to show up in 2014.

Not entirely true, really.  His May and September/October weren't great, either, with OPSes ranging from .735 to .800.  June/July/August, he *was* the "Pujols of old," though: .977-1.071 OPS.   That's the dude we need to show up in 2014.

Yeah I'd just be happy with a .280-.290/.350/.450 line with 35 HR and 100+ RBI

They have a plethora of talented SP in their organization.

I don't think you trade Cron though. I see him as our future DH, Billy Butler type. Somewhere between the 2012 and 2013 version.

I think we have our future DH already on the roster. Cron will serve absolutely no purpose in the Angels organization. He needs to be traded for pitching just like Morales and Trumbo.

I think we have our future DH already on the roster. Cron will serve absolutely no purpose in the Angels organization. He needs to be traded for pitching just like Morales and Trumbo.

Pittsburgh would be an ideal trade partner. Their biggest need is at 1B and have been trying to address it for awhile now. They can't afford Morales, so a trade would be their best and probably only option. I think a trade of CJ Cron for Nick Kingham would make sense for both teams. Cron is blocked at 1B and DH by Pujols and Hamilton, with both guys in their mid-30's, I think it'd be best to keep the DH spot open. Pittsburgh would be dealing from a surplus without surrendering a blue-chip prospect. Cron and Kingham aren't on any top 100 lists, but project to be above average at their respective positions. Here's a link to a scouting report on Kingham for those who are interested http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/01/pittsburgh-pirates-2014-top-prospects-6-nick-kingham.html

Edited by SoWhat

I think they are looking for more MLB ready players. They will probably go the old cheap route. Especially since they have a guy at AAA that is probably a year away from the bigs. And his numbers outside of AAA last year is pretty impressive. And he's only 21.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/players/cards/39170

Now we know why Ibanez was at first. They are showcasing him.

Pittsburgh would be an ideal trade partner. Their biggest need is at 1B and have been trying to address it for awhile now. They can't afford Morales, so a trade would be their best and probably only option. I think a trade of CJ Cron for Nick Kingham would make sense for both teams. Cron is blocked at 1B and DH by Pujols and Hamilton, with both guys in their mid-30's, I think it'd be best to keep the DH spot open. Pittsburgh would be dealing from a surplus without surrendering a blue-chip prospect. Cron and Kingham aren't on any top 100 lists, but project to be above average at their respective positions. Here's a link to a scouting report on Kingham for those who are interested http://www.piratesprospects.com/2014/01/pittsburgh-pirates-2014-top-prospects-6-nick-kingham.html

Great idea.

Pittsburgh would be an ideal trade partner. Their biggest need is at 1B and have been trying to address it for awhile now. They can't afford Morales, so a trade would be their best and probably only option.

The Pirates payroll is about $79 million. They should have plenty of room to add Morales if they are willing to let go of their draft pick. They did well last season so they have the 24th pick, something they could let go of and not worry they are missing out on a sure bet player.