• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Ibanez gets reacquainted with first in spring game

What is the harm in having these guys play these positions in spring training just in case they are needed for an inning or two in the season. I don't even care if Scioscia starts Ibanez a handful of games at first. This isn't Mike being against having a full time DH as much as it is having a little flexibility in a game in a very long season. Remember this is a team and a sport where guys like Vernon Wells and Juan Rivera play games at second base. A game where Wade Boggs pitches knuckle balls. It is a long season weird shit will happen, especially if we are only carrying four bench players.

What is the harm in having these guys play these positions in spring training just in case they are needed for an inning or two in the season. I don't even care if Scioscia starts Ibanez a handful of games at first. This isn't Mike being against having a full time DH as much as it is having a little flexibility in a game in a very long season. Remember this is a team and a sport where guys like Vernon Wells and Juan Rivera play games at second base. A game where Wade Boggs pitches knuckle balls. It is a long season weird shit will happen, especially if we are only carrying four bench players.

I agree with most of that, except something has gone pretty bloody wrong if Ibanez is starting a handful of games at first. You could probably put any random player on the team there and they'd do just as well, if not better. The dude is a trainwreck.

Would you rather he play a handful of games at first or in Left?

Neither, given we have better options to cover first (Kendrick) and left (Kendrick and reserve OF - I guess Shuck or Long). I get he'll probably need to play a few innings at one or both, given weird things happen, but "a handful of starts" would be scary.

He will be starting a handful of games at one or the other is my guess. It sounds like we will have a four man bench to start the season. That means we have Conger, Shuck, Romine and Green. You might see a Cowgill or Long instead of Shuck or McDonald instead of Romine or Green. Bottom line is I don't see us carrying a traditional corner infield bench player, also its entirely possible you will see only one outfielder on the bench. Ibanez will be starting games at both 1st and LF. I personally would rather keep an extra bench player than an extra pitcher, but I truly believe that won't be the case.

Would you rather he play a handful of games at first or in Left?

Actually, during his prime he was a decent outfielder. He is past that stage now, but he really is no worse out there than Trumbo was. However, I agree, he should be only DH for the far majority of his AB's. It is wise of Sosh, though, to plan for some unforseen circumstance and see if he is actually capable of covering in a stopgap situation.

He will be starting a handful of games at one or the other is my guess. It sounds like we will have a four man bench to start the season. That means we have Conger, Shuck, Romine and Green. You might see a Cowgill or Long instead of Shuck or McDonald instead of Romine or Green. Bottom line is I don't see us carrying a traditional corner infield bench player, also its entirely possible you will see only one outfielder on the bench. Ibanez will be starting games at both 1st and LF. I personally would rather keep an extra bench player than an extra pitcher, but I truly believe that won't be the case.

Assuming we carry Green and Romine, that gives us the flexibility of moving Kendrick around a bit. On a Pujols day off, would you have Ibanez at 1B, Kendrick at 2B and Green DHing or Kendrick at 1B, Green at 2B and Ibanez DHing? Because that's pretty clear cut for me. While four man benches are annoying, one advantage we do have with our likely four (Conger, Shuck, Romine and Green) is quite a degree of flexibility, enough to avoid starting Ibanez in the field.

Actually, during his prime he was a decent outfielder. He is past that stage now, but he really is no worse out there than Trumbo was. However, I agree, he should be only DH for the far majority of his AB's. It is wise of Sosh, though, to plan for some unforseen circumstance and see if he is actually capable of covering in a stopgap situation.

You'll find he's MUCH worse than Trumbo...and that's in no way an endorsement of Trumbo's defensive "abilities".

There is zero reason for him start games at any position other than DH.  Why would he need to? 

Not sure why they aren't trying Green at 1b.  Seems a natural fit vs. tough lefties.  Vs. tough lefties and when pujols has a day off, this seems like a nice option as opposed to Ibanez putting on a glove.  I get that he should remain familiar with 1b/OF, but only in the case of an emergency. 

Green gives the team a ton of flexibility.  Also, wouldn't mind seeing Ianetta get some DH time.

Seems like lots of opitions. 

There is zero reason for him start games at any position other than DH. Why would he need to?

To DH Pujols occasionally. To give Ibanez some repitition in case something comes up. In case we have an injury to a starting outfielder and Cron is called up. Against a NL team against a pitcher he's had success against. How many teams have a DH that never starts a game in the field? If he starts a handful of games it's not that big of a deal.

When the Angels are playing in NL parks, Ibanez should be sitting on the bench.

Which is the only place he should be besides DH except in crazy emergencies

Yep, Ibanez playing the field should only be in crazy scenarios - the type where you have a hitter pitching or an emergency catcher.

When the Angels are playing in NL parks, Ibanez should be sitting on the bench.

Which is the only place he should be besides DH except in crazy emergencies

Howie could play first.  Green could play first.  Freese could play first.  Calhoun could play first.  There are plenty of guys how are actually still athletic that could play first in a crazy emergency.  

Stradling I will be pissed if he starts games in the field, especially in the OF where there is absolutely no reason for him to be out there other than Sosh just wants it to be that way.