• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Friend got Job transfer to Irvine/Looking for nice place to live

MP; He will be doing at least 3 days a week in Irvine, and then traveling the rest, flying out of SNA

Oh...that kind of commuting. 

Tell him to investigate whether AT&T still pays for(?) or subsidizes traveling to work by commuter train.  I have a friend who works for AT&T and lives in Corona.  Ten years ago they were paying him so much to ride Metrolink that he couldn't resist the offer.  Metrolink with a free transfer to public bus.  Corona isn't necessarily the best place to live but Metrolink opens up some distant possibilities that nobody would dare drive by car, not even 3x per week. 

Our commuter rail system sucks in comparison to NJT/MARC/SEPTA/etc but Metrolink is the SoCal equivalent. 

I would go along with those who tell him not to buy right away. I don't know what the area he is like in NJ, but communities are a lot different here. Irvine is just death...everything looks the same, big wide streets, all chain stores...soul crushing. Most of South Orange County fits that bill. Some people like that. But other parts of Orange County have more of a community feel. Parts of Orange. There are actually some great parts of Santa Ana. Fullerton and Tustin are two cities that have a great community feel to it.

The commute is another big issue...coming from North Orange County to the Irvine area is a nightmare...but the train is also available if you pick the right city/location.

Your buddy has to ask himself what are the priorities and then go from there. 

I would go along with those who tell him not to buy right away. I don't know what the area he is like in NJ, but communities are a lot different here. Irvine is just death...everything looks the same, big wide streets, all chain stores...soul crushing. Most of South Orange County fits that bill. Some people like that. But other parts of Orange County have more of a community feel. Parts of Orange. There are actually some great parts of Santa Ana. Fullerton and Tustin are two cities that have a great community feel to it.

The commute is another big issue...coming from North Orange County to the Irvine area is a nightmare...but the train is also available if you pick the right city/location.

Your buddy has to ask himself what are the priorities and then go from there.

Some good advice in here. Thanks. We live in an older community where each house is unique, streets are narrower and twisty, and some towns try to keep the chain stores out. (Dunkin donuts excluded)

The commute seems to be a major influence on any decision. Any time I complain about the traffic around here, I remind myself of the times I have driven around OC and LA.

Even within the same city there are huge differences...if his company will pay for him and his family to come out they should take a few trips before relocating to visit. Spend one weekend in a hotel near Irvine, one if a different area. Go spend time driving around different communities. Go check and see if the city has a local newspaper (not owned by the Register) or websites run by people who live in the city - that can give you a good feel for the place. Or, since he has kids just find something with good schools I guess.

I live in Chino and commute into Irvine daily. I have commuted for so long that it doesn't even seem that bad anymore. I guess my suggestion would be to buy in Anaheim Hills and take the 261 toll road down to Irvine. It will take about 20 minutes or so and you would avoid the traffic each day. I am assuming for around $600k he could get a decent place.

This is a Google terrain map of Orange County and western Riverside County.  Click the link if the image is too small. 

http://s8.postimg.org/6te28q16d/image.gif

With few exceptions, houses in the $600-700K (and up) are going to be in the hills, or within a couple miles of the hills and/or ocean.  Note: don't overlook the hills in Fullerton.  The mountain range is mostly uninhabited, so no homes there.

I'd say Santa Ana sucks the most, followed by Garden Grove, Westminster, Stanton, Cypress.  Anaheim fits in there somewhere.

image.gif

I live in Northwood Point in Irvine and commute to LA everyday. It isn't as bad as most think it is. 50-60 minutes right now and that's because of the construction on the 5 fwy.

Portola Springs is a newer community in Irvine and is close to the Great Park. They are really starting to build in Irvine again.

I live in Northwood Point in Irvine and commute to LA everyday. It isn't as bad as most think it is. 50-60 minutes right now and that's because of the construction on the 5 fwy.

Portola Springs is a newer community in Irvine and is close to the Great Park. They are really starting to build in Irvine again.

He's priced out of that area.   PS places are mostly in the 800s, and even the Stonegate and newer Paradise Point or whatever its called across from the great park are in the mil.    We looked at homes there recently.   Loved the design and feel of the 2600 sq ft SFH, then saw they were 1.4 mil.

San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point all have cooler downtown areas with some flavor.  Regardless to me its all where you find a place.  I lived in Lake Forest for years we had a nice house on a cul-de-sac and we had block parties there and there were a lot of other kids.  Sure the houses were similar but it really is what you make of it. 

Edited by mtangelsfan

I have friends who live in the older part of Tustin that have a massive backyard in a neighborhood where they have block parties all the time and it's got a great community feel.  I think red/wicked make a good point about renting for a while because a lot of areas here will be different than having an older and more unique house in New Jersey.  A lot of South OC reminds me of the intro to Weeds because the houses and shopping centers all look alike and once you go further from the freeway it seems like restaurants and stores are harder to find unless you know the area.  Parts of south OC has newer houses, schools and shopping centers which doesn't always mean better but when I was looking to buy money went a bit further in some cases as far as what you got in a house and there's tons of parks and areas for kids.      

Truly depends on what the guy wants in a house or in a lifestyle. I like a little space so I live where I do on half an acre with a pool and a decent size house (2200 sqft) and the house is probably worth $500k. Now, if he wants my house in South County it will cost him close to $1 million. I think there is a happy medium by living in Yorba Linda or Anaheim Hills where you could get something close to what I have, without all the land somewhere in the $600's.