• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Oakland to open season w/2 starters on DL

That's huge for us. Parker and Griffin are both pretty solid, too. They might be headed for Tommy John, which is going to put a lot more pressure on their other starters to step up. Because not only are Parker and Griffin good, but they are also 200 IP starters. Now you're looking at:

1. Sonny Gray

2. Scott Kazmir

3. Dan Straily

4. Tom Milone

5. Drew Pomeranz

And there really isn't much depth beyond that. 

Edited by Llewyn Davis

That's huge for us. Parker and Griffin are both pretty solid, too. They might be headed for Tommy John, which is going to put a lot more pressure on their other starters to step up. Because not only are Parker and Griffin good, but they are also 200 IP starters. Now you're looking at:

1. Sonny Gray

2. Scott Kazmir

3. Dan Straily

4. Tom Milone

5. Drew Pomeranz

And there really isn't much depth beyond that. 

Jesse Chavez

Another good thing about this for us is their bullpen is going to be taxed big time. None of those starters are established work horses. Gray and Straily are the only two guys who I could see approaching 200 innings. Maybe Milone, too. Gray pitched 195 combined innings last year (including postseason). Straily pitched around 190 combined innings (including postseason).

Edited by Llewyn Davis

He had a 3.9 era/1.22 whip last year..and allowed no runs all Spring (if it means anything)...it doesn't really matter what he did in 2012.

Granted, I don't want him starting more than three games.

He did that as a relief pitcher. Not all that impressive. He's the type of guy who will likely get exposed as a starter when hitters see him 2-3 times. And I wasn't just talking about 2012. His entire career before 2013 is very much forgettable. I would put Chavez in the same category as a pitcher like Yusmeiro Petit (except he did it as a starter last year). Chavez has to prove his small sample of success wasn't a fluke. And like I said, throwing him out there every 5th day as a starter is a different animal.

Edited by Llewyn Davis

Yeah, last year none of their starters got hurt and they finished with 96 wins. That would seem to show that the health of their starters allowed them to have the success until you consider that in 2012 they lost 3 starters to injury and another one to suspension and still finished with 94 wins. I think they'll find the pitching. Hopefully we can find the pitching, too. We just need to come out fast. Maybe they start slow and will get a little demoralized if we can start good.

Probably not though.

Edited by HaloMagic

Yeah, last year none of their starters got hurt and they finished with 96 wins. That would seem to show that the health of their starters allowed them to have the success until you consider that in 2012 they lost 3 starters to injury and another one to suspension and still finished with 94 wins. I think they'll find the pitching. Hopefully we can find the pitching, too. We just need to come out fast. Maybe they start slow and will get a little demoralized if we can start good.

Probably not though.

Well, one of their starters got hurt last year (Anderson). Then he pitched for, like, 6 1/3 innings against us in that marathon game, then was out for pretty much the rest of the year.

I'd like to think we can take advantage of this and jump out to an early lead, but, then again, have you met this team in April?

I have confidence in the Angels triple A starters to come in and pitch a few games to a 4.5 or 5 ERA. I think we'll get four guys with 30 starts though so we'll likely have to rely on them for only ten to twelve starts.

Luckily everyone is healthy right now, and actually we've had a healthy rotation under Butcher except 2009 and last year.

If everything goes wrong, it's possible. And stuff has a way of going wrong here.

There is no way the A's triple a guys will be better than the Angels Major Leaguers. Seriously underselling the rotation.